We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

HQ now accepts limited donations

HQ-related news you should probably read.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

HQ now accepts limited donations

Post by rusty_shackleford »

What will the donations be used for?
  • Hosting fees
  • Website development & improvements
  • ??? HQ is not-for-profit.
Why not ads?
  • I've previously stated, and will reiterate, the HQ will never run ads that track the user or anything that purposely negatively impacts the privacy of our users.
What do I get in return?
  • Nothing!
    Okay, well, I'll have to think of something, so I'm open to recommendations here. Let me know what you'd be interested in.
How do I donate?
  • With Monero. Quite honestly, I'm doing this because I want to learn more about monero. If people are genuinely interested in donating and don't want to use monero I'll consider other options. There are a few monero advocates on the HQ who can probably describe why monero to you better than I can.

Code: Select all

89ac43TpkQW8dJddMZTVrVJvC1wcohYC9Prt3k9AbF4L5ZeURYYKoz8gP2Vgz3VTA61XLb2w3oHVfixGbfzus2CmNtdZBUA
Also, you may be interested in this: https://www.getmonero.org/resources/use ... yment.html
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on October 4th, 2023, 05:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarify position on ads
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

So RPGHQ is a money laundering operation after all.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 9th, 2023, 12:02
What do I get in return?
Nothing!
Okay, well, I'll have to think of something, so I'm open to recommendations here. Let me know what you'd be interested in.
Why anything at all? Giving a reward taints the altruism that should motivate a donation to begin with.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Konjad wrote: April 9th, 2023, 14:38
So RPGHQ is a money laundering operation after all.
You have the HQ confused with Ukraine.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

How can I trust a website that doesn't have a page dedicated to how virtuous and good it is?

At least try to put up a page with a motto about helping people or "Don't Be Evil", or anything really.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Donors get feet pics from a moderator of their choice.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Donors should be able to temporarily ban other users, 1 hour per dollar donated.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

How much are the yearly hosting fees?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

J1M wrote: April 9th, 2023, 23:28
Can't check hard numbers right now because I'm on mobile, but I want to say about $200.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 10th, 2023, 00:44
J1M wrote: April 9th, 2023, 23:28
Can't check hard numbers right now because I'm on mobile, but I want to say about $200.
DM me some alternatives so I don't need to learn about crypto.
Phos

Post by Phos »

What do I get in return?
Nothing!
What do you mean by "nothing"? We get to post and read on an actual free speech forum. Even if I donated all my money to you, it would still not be enough to be a fair trade.
Remember how pay-to-win ruined video games? Yeah? So, uh, please don't ruin this forum with the same shit, okay? Thanks.
Last edited by Phos on April 10th, 2023, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I just want to clarify that by 'something' in return for donating I meant like a badge or a picture of @Ratcatcher's cat, not actual privileges. HQ will always remain free to use without restriction, no privileges will ever be sold.
Also I've had a few people inquire about non-Monero methods so I'll look into it.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

So, here's the problem with accepting USD and such:
It requires me to use a payment processor.

For example, Stripe:
https://stripe.com/legal/restricted-businesses
Any business or organization that a. engages in, encourages, promotes or celebrates unlawful violence or physical harm to persons or property, or b. engages in, encourages, promotes or celebrates unlawful violence toward any group based on race, religion, disability, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or any other immutable characteristic
And that's not including the many other forms of censorship on the list, but the most obvious one that would directly impact the HQ. There is no way to know what they define as "engages in", "encourages", "promotes" or "celebrates". Merely hosting the content is probably enough to upset them.

https://www.patreon.com/policy/guidelines
Disinformation: Patreon will not help fund creations that engage in medical misinformation related to Covid-19, and disinformation related to propagating QAnon or Pizzagate conspiracy theories. Please reference these blogs for further information:

COVID-19-related medical misinformation
QAnon-related disinformation
Therefore, there is no room on Patreon for projects funding hate speech, such as calling for violence, exclusion, or segregation. This includes serious attacks on people based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability, serious medical conditions, caste, or immigration status.
And so on, and so forth.

Accepting donations as a platform that supports free speech is not easy. I'll be investigating Gab Pay. If there's a demand for other cryptocurrencies I'll investigate that too.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

I'll draw my cat on a few banknotes and send them your way.