We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

OSRS — Oldschool Runescape.

For RPGs that require a persistently online connection.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Scruffins wrote: March 20th, 2024, 21:53
FPYockey wrote: October 12th, 2023, 01:12
rusty_shackleford wrote: October 11th, 2023, 04:49
the alternative is even worse, because we've seen it
they've repeatedly added pride shit to the game without any user input because they know it would lose overwhelmingly each time. So the entire 'vote' thing is just an illusion of choice(shocker!) when it comes to sacred cows.
Might remind you of exactly how it went in real life, too.
At least the community pushed back, the KKK riots were hilarious.
I was there. They had jmods there perma banning anyone wearing white robes or saying anything that could be slightly perceived as "homophobic". We lost many good people that day.
they're osrs players, they just started a new ironman/ultimate ironman instead.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Anon wrote: March 20th, 2024, 21:58
Oyster Sauce wrote: March 20th, 2024, 21:48
The grand exchange is gay and makes me not want to play almost as much as the actual gay stuff
You know there's an ironman mode right?
Soulless
Anon

Post by Anon »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 20th, 2024, 22:00
Anon wrote: March 20th, 2024, 21:58
Oyster Sauce wrote: March 20th, 2024, 21:48
The grand exchange is gay and makes me not want to play almost as much as the actual gay stuff
You know there's an ironman mode right?
Soulless
there is also group ironmen, reunite some rpghq fags and start a group
junior

Post by junior »

Played through all F2P quests some years ago, bought a premium, looked at the map and the amount of new skills to grind --> quit.
Was quite fun initially.
Anon

Post by Anon »

junior wrote: April 7th, 2024, 12:32
Played through all F2P quests some years ago, bought a premium, looked at the map and the amount of new skills to grind --> quit.
Was quite fun initially.
Only valid criticism I've seen so far. Yes, in OSRS you won't ever complete the game, even if you play for thousands and thousands of hours. Its endless journey is part of its appeal, and I get it isn't for everybody.
Last edited by Anon on April 7th, 2024, 13:13, edited 1 time in total.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Runescape was for poor kids who couldn't afford UO.
Anon

Post by Anon »

I bet forum's average opinion of OSRS will shift once they learn they can buy a gf for 10k in any world
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

osrs would be so much better without all the gay new shit they added like kourend and random ass new quests

like i get they gotta add content to not make it stagnate and they didnt just wanna add what had been put in rs3, but fugg so much gay shit
Anon

Post by Anon »

Manny V wrote: April 8th, 2024, 14:55
osrs would be so much better without all the gay new shit they added like kourend and random ass new quests

like i get they gotta add content to not make it stagnate and they didnt just wanna add what had been put in rs3, but fugg so much gay shit
Outside of the obvious gay event shit I think their content development is easily the best among MMOs of nowadays.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 7th, 2023, 13:39
Ranselknulf wrote: February 7th, 2023, 10:41
I think the issue most mmo games have is they never designed with the idea of people botting.

Some newer games have started to accept the reality and give regular players tools to set up bots, write lua scripts, etc to automate some of the more repetitive aspects of game play.

You might say, "well, just design the game not to have these repetitive task!"

That doesn't help in the long term economic sense though. Designing a game around people playing on a human time scale (for resource acquisition), just means people who bot will have that much better advantage.

I think the secret sauce for a successful mmo will be finding a way to blend botting into a game universe while still making the non-botting aspects of the game enjoyable.
Botting isn't fun if other people can bot freely.

Not that I'd know.
Botting can be fun if it's designed to be used within the game loop cycle intelligently and in a fun and interactive fashion.

Anti-botting is backwards thinking for games imo. Just accept that it happens and find a way to let people use these tools within a game's design.

To each their own of course, I'd prefer a game with open botting, but I completely understand the desire to win by bending the rules or bypassing restrictions. The old adage if you aren't cheating you aren't trying comes to mind.

People play games for a variety of reasons. Just find games with the type of gaming experience you desire. If its botting in games where others aren't able too / allowed to by game rules, then have fun, if its open botting and using automation tools, then go for it imo.

Protip: I've done both game styles and enjoy both, but I find that it ultimately doesn't matter if you restrict botting or not. If you are good at botting or automation, you will end up on top either way.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Ranselknulf wrote: April 8th, 2024, 15:59
I think the issue most mmo games have is they never designed with the idea of people botting.

Some newer games have started to accept the reality and give regular players tools to set up bots, write lua scripts, etc to automate some of the more repetitive aspects of game play.

That doesn't help in the long term economic sense though. Designing a game around people playing on a human time scale (for resource acquisition), just means people who bot will have that much better advantage.

I think the secret sauce for a successful mmo will be finding a way to blend botting into a game universe while still making the non-botting aspects of the game enjoyable.

Not that I'd know.
Botting can be fun if it's designed to be used within the game loop cycle intelligently and in a fun and interactive fashion.

Anti-botting is backwards thinking for games imo. Just accept that it happens and find a way to let people use these tools within a game's design.

To each their own of course, I'd prefer a game with open botting, but I completely understand the desire to win by bending the rules or bypassing restrictions. The old adage if you aren't cheating you aren't trying comes to mind.

People play games for a variety of reasons. Just find games with the type of gaming experience you desire. If its botting in games where others aren't able too / allowed to by game rules, then have fun, if its open botting and using automation tools, then go for it imo.

Protip: I've done both game styles and enjoy both, but I find that it ultimately doesn't matter if you restrict botting or not. If you are good at botting or automation, you will end up on top either way.
you just described korean & chinese MMOs
the games play themselves for you, you just put your credit card number in to buy time on the ingame bot

not an exaggeration in the least, look into it. Throne & Liberty's Korea release got shit on for it in reviews from westerners because it was so foreign to them.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 8th, 2024, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 8th, 2024, 16:40

Not that I'd know.

the games play themselves for you, you just put your credit card number in to buy time on the ingame bot

not an exaggeration in the least, look into it. Throne & Liberty's Korea release got shit on for it in reviews from westerners because it was so foreign to them.
Koreanese autoplay MMOs are insane. I didn't know they existed until I saw some reviews last year. Can hardly believe people who "play" (participate in?) them are the same species as myself.
Anon

Post by Anon »

One of the main appeals of MMO is to feel pride and satisfaction out of your achievements that you worked hard on.

Wishing to skip everything is counterintuitive to playing MMOs and you'd be better suited for playing league of legends or any crap like that.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 8th, 2024, 16:46

Koreanese autoplay MMOs are insane. I didn't know they existed until I saw some reviews last year. Can hardly believe people who "play" (participate in?) them are the same species as myself.
A billion people like @Gregz that get dopamine highs from seeing number go up.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Not that I'd know.

That's why I was trying to qualify it with "fun"

If we are talking about spawn camping with aim bots then of course that will be lame. If we are talking about a space game where your ships are constantly getting blown up, then some sort of automation might be fun. Automate control maneuvers or automate resource gathering. Provided of course other people can still blow your ass up if your bot gets caught with its pants down.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Not that I'd know.
This is all.

If it isn't a competition then it isn't fun for me.

Good bye thread. (obviously there is no conversation to be had)

:salute:
Last edited by Ranselknulf on April 9th, 2024, 05:50, edited 1 time in total.
junior

Post by junior »

The biggest incentive for people to use botting software is the irl money profits.
I'd go even further and say that multiboxing is as harmful and shitty.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

junior wrote: April 10th, 2024, 09:06
The biggest incentive for people to use botting software is the irl money profits.
multiboxing completely destroys MMOs because if you don't do it you are at a major disadvantage
MMO companies have no reason to disallow it because profit
junior

Post by junior »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 10th, 2024, 09:08
multiboxing completely destroys MMOs because if you don't do it you are at a major disadvantage
the private servers aren't much better regarding that
Last edited by junior on April 10th, 2024, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

junior wrote: April 10th, 2024, 10:24
the private servers aren't much better regarding that
Might as well just enable cheats at that point
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Weirdly enough Blizzard successfully shut down multiboxing randomly a year or so deep into WoW Classic even though they gave so few fucks about the whole project
Anon

Post by Anon »

Easily the worst aspect of MMOs imo. Multibox is completely unfun and kills the immersion but people still do it because they cling to any kind of advantage they can obtain.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 10th, 2024, 10:30
because they cling to any kind of advantage they can obtain.
how do I report posts that mention me but in a negative way
Anon

Post by Anon »

Didn't know I was talking to a multiboxer :yuck:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 10th, 2024, 10:33
If developers allow a superior strategy, then you are merely choosing to lose by not picking the strategy. It's not the player's fault.
junior

Post by junior »

the real winning move is to not play
Last edited by junior on April 10th, 2024, 10:39, edited 1 time in total.
Manny V

Post by Manny V »

nah nothing worse than going about killing some mobs or whatever and then suddenly the train of 'jimmy, j1mmy, jimmee, jymmy and gymmie' clones all come along and steal everything

botting is just as cringe too
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 10th, 2024, 10:35
If developers allow a superior strategy, then you are merely choosing to lose by not picking the strategy. It's not the player's fault.
I mean, what's winning in a game? Mainly in a never ending one like MMOs typically are

Is killing your fun and spending more money worth it for seeing some numbers go up faster? I think not.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Anon wrote: April 10th, 2024, 10:49
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 10th, 2024, 10:35
I mean, what's winning in a game? Mainly in a never ending one like MMOs typically are

Is killing your fun and spending more money worth it for seeing some numbers go up faster? I think not.
OSRS itself has dozens of 'winning' conditions you could quantify, probably more than any other MMO.