We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Evoland (2)

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
BobT

Evoland (2)

Post by BobT »

Suprised to see nothing mentioned about this.
The first one is pretty much just a homage to gaming, not much story but fun gameplay of a lot of different gameplay types and evolving through "time" in terms of gaming tech.
However the second is that, but in a full-fledged game with a proper story. Very Chrono-Trigger & Zelda-esque but with loads of different gameplay types. I genuinely got some good laughs every time it came out with something new:

Definitely recommend it if you can set your expectations semi-mild to enjoy a fun RPG as a homage to gaming, but not expecting a full on "epic". There's some decent puzzles and hidden stuff, too.
It's made by a french studio but it's very much "JRPG" in style for the core game. Again it's hard to say too much without spoiling as it's always fun when you hit the different game types. Well worth a look if you like this sort of thing.
Last edited by BobT on February 4th, 2024, 03:56, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1998 »

Did they change anything in the Legendary Edition, or is it really just both games combined?
SpellSword

Post by SpellSword »

From what I can see it is just both games.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Yup, it's just both games together.
As mentioned the second one is a full-fledged game. Gave me lightweight Chrono Trigger / Snes Zelda vibes. Had to chuckle at some of the game types.
My Favourite was "Beat em all" mode.
► Show Spoiler
And of course being a Shining Force 3 fan, Tactical RPG mode:
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by BobT on February 7th, 2024, 21:07, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1998 »

Convinced, will play it soon.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

I think the first is on mobile, I'll buy it tonight and see what I think.
BobT

Post by BobT »

The first is just a nice homage to gaming history, not that much of a game or very long. It's "nice", though.

The second is a proper RPG "game", which the homage being many different game modes and game references thrown in.
If you can get it at a good price, I would recommend just for the laughs when you "get" the references. It's like if SNES Zelda met Chrono Trigger, with bits of other random games thrown in. (Intentionally like that). It is an RPG in it's own right with it's own story though.
Last edited by BobT on February 9th, 2024, 01:55, edited 2 times in total.

Post by 1998 »

The first one is really quite OK.

Appreciate that they are fully aware of what they are doing there and don't needlessly add filler content for the run time. I think took me around 2.5h.

Post by 1998 »

Finally finished the 2nd one. I mean I guess its OK, but there are also a lot of weak points there. The writing is crap, lots of backtracking, some sections are just way too long. It isn't a long game, maybe around 25h, and yet at times it felt like a slog.