We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Any scifi games like 40K but good.

For all your tabletop & board game needs.
Bah! They don't even play at physical tabletops anymore.
maidenhaver

Any scifi games like 40K but good.

Post by maidenhaver »

Games that don't use stupid fantasy races (no X but in space), don't have all that retarded lore, don't have absurd details in the models (its a fucking board game, you throw the pieces in a box after 3-4 games), don't require sweeping points adjustments every three months, because the rules are "balanced" for tournaments, every army is viable or doesn't exist, the rules are free, its fun, is cringe and garish like classic grim dark, no pozz.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I wanted a wargame with human armies, and like it came out of a page in Heavy Metal.

edit: found Grim Future. Looks good, but its got aliens.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Are you looking for a mini-agnostic ruleset or one with its own line of miniatures? There are tons of wargames out there that don't care about what minis you use. I recommend asking in /tg/'s /awg/ (alternative wargames) thread. I'm not familiar enough with any of them to suggest any myself.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

If you like Star Trek, as in the original series, consider Starfleet Battles.
It exists because of a bunch of licensing shenanigans but it's basically Star Trek if Star Trek stopped at the first movie.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Fleet_Battles
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Flee ... t_Universe
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I wonder if it has any players.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I cut the tip of my finger off above the nail with an exacto knife and ragequit minis. Goddam farseer.
junior

Post by junior »

check out infinity, I had fun with it decade ago, it's much smaller scale than 40k but the rules were p goodiirc
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

The thing with tabletop games is that you need people to play them with, so you have to play the ones people are playing. The last time I walked into my local miniature wargame hobby shop, the only thing they were playing was Warhammer, MTG, and the Pokemon TCG. I think there was also the X-Wing wargame scheduled on their calendar but I never saw people playing that in there. People stopped playing Warmachine/Hordes at my local shop years ago but I think there are still facebook groups and discord servers that organize games for it, so maybe you can find facebook groups/discord for other smaller wargames.

Another thing to watch out for is what kind of other people you're playing with. The Warhammer folks playing at that hobby shop were older, sane people. Maybe it takes a certain pleasant, well adjusted personality to pour lots of time and money into building and painting warhammer armies. The TCG players were a little nerdy but seemed relatively sane too. But when I visited the other games shop in my area, I took one look at the D&D group playing there and never went back.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

Been playing star wars shatterpoint at my local. Great skirmish game, it vastly improved on marvel crisis protocol. Assembly and painting of the models is also easy because of the size.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: December 7th, 2023, 07:11
The thing with tabletop games is that you need people to play them with, so you have to play the ones people are playing. The last time I walked into my local miniature wargame hobby shop, the only thing they were playing was Warhammer, MTG, and the Pokemon TCG. I think there was also the X-Wing wargame scheduled on their calendar but I never saw people playing that in there. People stopped playing Warmachine/Hordes at my local shop years ago but I think there are still facebook groups and discord servers that organize games for it, so maybe you can find facebook groups/discord for other smaller wargames.

Another thing to watch out for is what kind of other people you're playing with. The Warhammer folks playing at that hobby shop were older, sane people. Maybe it takes a certain pleasant, well adjusted personality to pour lots of time and money into building and painting warhammer armies. The TCG players were a little nerdy but seemed relatively sane too. But when I visited the other games shop in my area, I took one look at the D&D group playing there and never went back.
It all depends on location, income, the presence of colleges or universities, etc. My home town is big enough for three hobby shops: one in poor town, one on campus, and one in lesser town. They are all united by a discord run by two homos who love george floyd and zelinsky. The typical mtg player is college aged, the typical tt player is blue collar, and I have nothing in common with any of them. The tt games are held at peoples houses, so they almost never actually happen. Its just discord trannies sharing shitty 40k memes, near as I can tell from their activity in the fb group. I refuse to have a discord, so I sit in the poor shop for 3-5 hours a day, 2 or 3 days a week, working on whatever army I'm into that month. I quit though, since I cut myself. The only army I like is Chaos/Imperial Knights, so I'm thinking about Mechwarrior, but I will buy a printer before I give any game company money.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I hate xenos so much it isn't real.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

maidenhaver wrote: December 16th, 2023, 19:40
Val the Moofia Boss wrote: December 7th, 2023, 07:11

It all depends on location, income, the presence of colleges or universities, etc. My home town is big enough for three hobby shops: one in poor town, one on campus, and one in lesser town. They are all united by a discord run by two homos who love george floyd and zelinsky. The typical mtg player is college aged, the typical tt player is blue collar, and I have nothing in common with any of them. The tt games are held at peoples houses, so they almost never actually happen. Its just discord trannies sharing shitty 40k memes, near as I can tell from their activity in the fb group. I refuse to have a discord, so I sit in the poor shop for 3-5 hours a day, 2 or 3 days a week, working on whatever army I'm into that month. I quit though, since I cut myself. The only army I like is Chaos/Imperial Knights, so I'm thinking about Mechwarrior, but I will buy a printer before I give any game company money.
I’m thinking of getting a printer myself. Apparently they pay for themselves very quickly if you print instead of buying minis and terrain. Supposedly better quality that way too.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Yes, /tg/ has everything you need to start printing. The tech is supposed to be getting better by the year, and the prints look as good as or better than official. GW could just license their franchises, post rules and minis files for free, close the GW shops, and they would still swim in money.
Kalin

Post by Kalin »

Warhammer 40,000: Chaos Gate is actually a good 40k game, of course I mean the 1998 version title and not the nu-trash drag show atrocity shilled by Tovi capitalising on its name to peddle mind-killing poz to the masses. It's one big campaign fighting chaos marines with limited resources, you start with a big bunch of bros and if you lose them in missions and such well they're toast, so you have to play a bit smart to last imo. There are cool relics to find, swell encounters, killer atmosphere. All in all a great tactical squad game well worth playing with amazing graphics to boot. As an extra bonus it also runs perfectly on modern machines (well, at least on a craptop with Win7 which is modern to me).
Galdred
Developer

Post by Galdred »

The issue is that it is very hard to "convert" people to a new miniature wargame indeed. I bought X-Wing, with enough ships to make sizeable games for both sides, but even then, I wasn't able to get it that often to the table. In the end, you are stuck with what your friends agree to play. That's why I didn't even bother with Star Wars: Armada.

That said, I used to play Space Marines, aka Tiny(6mm) Warhammer 40K second edition, with large armies and titans, and I had a blast.
Legions Imperialis is kind of a remake of this game (with a very similar ruleset), but it only features Horus Heresy battles (ie Imperial mirror matches), but that would sort the "elves/Orks in space" issue for you then!
Otherwise, there are several pretty good space 4X that don't require you to build separate miniatures (Space Empires 4X, Star Wars: Rebellion, Eclipse, Twilight Imperium, ...) that I really liked, but these are pretty different.
Last edited by Galdred on January 28th, 2024, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
Adeptus

Post by Adeptus »

Mutant Chronicles have quite similar lore to Wh40K (but little bit less grimdark) and I think that main focus is on fighting, well, mutated humans, not aliens.
TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 19th, 2024, 15:11
You might want to check out Starfield
The greatest game ever made.