We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Thaumaturge

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Konjad

The Thaumaturge

Post by Konjad »

It has been released the day before yesterday. I haven't played it yet, but it spiked my interest. Will probably give it a try at some point but I'm waiting to see some detailed player reviews first.

The Thaumaturge is an isometric, story-rich RPG with a unique take on turn-based combat, character development features, and investigation mechanics, facing you with morally ambiguous choices – set in a world teeming with mysterious powers and strange ethereal beings called salutors.

The year is 1905. Warsaw lives under the yoke of imperial Russian tsardom. Its inhabitants constitute a diverse group of different ancestries, views, and beliefs with often conflicting interests: Russian soldiers, Jewish merchants, Polish townspeople, and more. Despite the circumstances, the city is a buzzing metropolis, where one can attend a breathtaking party with the high society, and later get robbed in one of the dark alleys of the Praga district. A city of great hopes and dreams on one hand and dark desires on the other.

A thaumaturge bears both a gift and a burden at the same time. This parallel holds true for Wiktor Szulski, the game’s titular protagonist, who is drawn back to the tumultuous streets of 20th-century Warsaw by family matters. The gift of thaumaturgy is intertwined with family legacy, passed down through one's ancestors. This mystical inheritance significantly shapes Wiktor’s life journey tied around a pursuit of unearthly entities and their hosts. As only a thaumaturge can tame these ethereal entities - known to a select few as salutors - utilizing their mystical abilities to discover secrets hidden within the human soul and speak to the Darkness, no one understands quite like Wiktor how everyone suffers their own demons.

Features:
Shape your story – as a full-fledged RPG, it allows you to alternate your choices and make you deal with the aftermath.
Develop your character – creating your own version of the thaumaturge will allow you to approach situations in different ways.
Experience unique turn-based combat and defeat your foes using human attacks and skills as well as psychic strikes delivered by salutors.
Influence and manipulate the temperaments of other characters to bend their will to your liking.
Tame the power of salutors – use the unique set of their skills to gain an advantage while exploring the world and when bringing your adversaries to their knees.
See the world that’s inevitably gone – explore the uncommon, heavily researched historic period of the early XX century Warsaw, where crime and luxury are often two sides of the same coin. Meet historical figures and learn about their involvement in the story.
Created in Unreal Engine 5 to deliver a detailed & beautifully crafted world.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Anyone who likes this game is a libtard.
Consul

Post by Consul »

So is this game woke? Is there a political reason why liberals like it or does their positive attitude toward this game relate to something else? Was Rusty right about this being a commie propaganda? Won't buy it on release, but I would be interested in playing it much later if it's not woke.
Last edited by Consul on March 6th, 2024, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Consul wrote: March 6th, 2024, 19:59
So is this game woke?
Yes
Is there a political reason why liberals like it or does their positive attitude toward this game relate to something else?
They like it because it's woke.
Was Rusty right about this being a commie propaganda?
Yes.
Won't buy it on release, but I would be interested in playing it much later if it's not woke.
It is.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Then I won't buy/play it if that's the case. Would be interested in seeing examples of it being woke first before making my judgement though, which will probably be posted here in the following days.
Consul

Post by Consul »

Reading the Steam forums and this is what people there have to say about it:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1684350/ ... 526984149/
At first I thought that it might be somewhat based, but seems like nah. Yet, daring to criticize Judaism in any way is rather surprising. Seems like the game might be woke overall though.
Last edited by Consul on March 6th, 2024, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
gastovski

Post by gastovski »

Very demanding game it shouldnt have been like this, optimization is garbage just for you know.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

my thoughts on it
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 1st, 2024, 18:03
I don't care about stupid slavic politics, I wanted to play a game with an occult detective
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

Consul wrote: March 6th, 2024, 20:37
Reading the Steam forums and this is what people there have to say about it:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1684350/ ... 526984149/
At first I thought that it might be somewhat based, but seems like nah. Yet, daring to criticize Judaism in any way is rather surprising. Seems like the game might be woke overall though.
In consideration of suffragette movement being very strong on Polish lands at the period, especially in Warsaw, and that Poland gave women close to equal rights after gaining independence, I wonder if the game somewhat takes it too far or is it just a line to emphasize the issue at the time or even a joke and the poster is a butthurt retarded American, considering American ignorance of any and all history not related to themselves.
Last edited by Konjad on March 7th, 2024, 05:53, edited 3 times in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Apparently you can join optionally join the tsar (and/or Rasputin), but it sounds like it's treated as the evil path. (I promise I'm not trying to sell you on the game.)

Anyway, just one more example of the broken moral compass of modern game devs.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Acrux wrote: March 7th, 2024, 06:02
Apparently you can join optionally join the tsar (and/or Rasputin), but it sounds like it's treated as the evil path. (I promise I'm not trying to sell you on the game.)

Anyway, just one more example of the broken moral compass of modern game devs.
of poles*
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

Acrux wrote: March 7th, 2024, 06:02
Apparently you can join optionally join the tsar (and/or Rasputin), but it sounds like it's treated as the evil path
So historically accurate.
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

I played it for a few hours today but I'm not impressed. The game is very mediocre.

I like the setting, it's unusual, a mix of dark fantasy with early XX c. I like the visuals, graphics are beautiful but cold and grim. I don't mind the combat system, in fact I thought I will hate it at first, but overall it seems alright and not as simple as it appears at first. Fighting isn't good, but it is acceptable, and the combat can be quite challenging, though I did choose the 'challenging' difficulty, not a 'normal' one.

However, despite the above, I'm completely disinterested in the story, dialogues and gameplay itself. As I said, combat is just acceptable, while the story along with dialogues and quests are rather bland. I thought it would be the strongest point of the game due to setting, but creators don't seem to do anything much with it, there's not much politics and contemporary stuff, and more dark fantasy that is like every other dark fantasy. "Detective stuff" (or rather "fantasy mind-reading") is on auto-mode, you don't come to conclusions, instead the character always tells you everything and you're just clicking RMB to find clues and then LMB to activate them... it's repetitive and boring, and you do it every single quest. I don't think choices matter much either, though I can't be sure but quests always seem to be railroaded towards their only proper solutions.

I don't think I have a will to continue, to be honest. Thaumaturge is a disappointment for me. I expected Disco Elysium in Warszawa and political ideas and frictions between Poles, Russians, Jews etc., but got a visual novel about demons with fist fights and RMB LMB spam.

Meh.
Mondain

Post by Mondain »

Last edited by Mondain on March 13th, 2024, 02:22, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Is this like choosing No in japanese games, when someone asks you to undertake a quest?
Adeptus

Post by Adeptus »

I am a Pole and I was happy about another cRPG from my country, but its wokeness disappointed me.