We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

A new year means new RPGS!

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
SpellSword

A new year means new RPGS!

Post by SpellSword »

Which upcoming RPG(s) are you waiting to play?

The one I've had my eye on is the Knights of the Chalice 2's expansion Dark Arena. The first campaign Augury of Chaos had its flaws but it was pretty good overall.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

The Darkness Below (prelude - haven't started yet)
Archaelund (EA release next week)
Stellar Tactics (1.0 release this Winter)
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

Granblue Fantasy Relink: Coming out at the end of this month. I've played the gacha and it's cool that we're actually getting a real game. I like the setting, like the Hideo Minaba artstyle, like the music by Nobuo Uematsu and Tsutomu Narita. Sadly the roster of party members is underwhelming. There are so many interesting characters in Granblue, from beastmasters like Pholia, to princesses who fight using big sand golems like Sara, or a musician who strums a guzheng and also controls a set of laser drones that can create shields like Niyon, or androids like Yngwie, or a feathered dragon like Ewiyar that prefers to shapeshift into a house cat, or old grandmas who fight with the power of cooking like Rosine, etc. But most of this roster here are pretty vanilla. Maybe more interesting characters will show up in a sequel.

Kuro no Kiseki 2: Crimson Sin: I found the first Kuro no Kiseki game to be very lackluster in the story department, and from what I've heard Kuro no Kiseki 2's writing is even more disappointing. However, I do find the characters to be pleasant, I like the aesthetics, and I enjoy the combat and character building. I hope the soundtrack improves, though. This series used to have fantastic OSTs, but Kuro 1's OST was overall forgettable. The English fan translation patch for the game is mostly finished, just waiting for the better PC port by Durante to go up on Steam.

Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes: A spiritual successor to Suikoden. What I liked about Suikoden was being able to mix and match a 6 man party from a huge roster of characters, and the war theme. Also good music. Not a fan of the sprites overlaid on a 3D background.

Monochrome Mobius 2: it would be nice if my character progression from the first game carried over, but the talent trees (holy crap, talent trees in a JRPG!) really need to be rebalanced, as in the first game the enemies dealt so much sheer damage that there was no point bothering investing into DEF and HP. Oshtor could bodyblock for the other party members but he acquired that ability very late into MM1, too late to start building up his defenses. Hope that the itemization is improved since in MM1 you only ever had real 2 real gear choices at any given moment, and interesting equipment quickly became irrelevant due to the numbers curve. Story wise, I hope it is set in Arva Shulan rather than Yamato for a fourth time. I hope Vurai becomes a party member and we get to see how his beef with Oshtor got started.

I've been hoping that Warhorse studios would announced Kingdom Come Deliverance 2, and that it has a big city of Prague, actually war going on in the world outside of a handful of main story sequences, polearms, and followers. But its been years and no KCD2 has been announced, starting to get worried that it won't happen.

I have the new WoW, GW2, and FFXIV expansions on my radar, but the last few expansions of all of those games have been quite lackluster, so I'm not in a hurry to get to them. The upcoming WoW expansion is probably the most interesting to me due to the underground setting.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

More games about men kissing each other.

Post by 1998 »

Not sure if any of those actually will be released 2024:

Archaelund
Call of Saregnar
Monomyth
Urban Strife
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

I did not play any 2021, 2022 or 2023 RPGs and will not play any 2024 RPGs.
SoLong

Post by SoLong »

Unironically interested in Final Fantasy XVI when it finally comes out for PC.

Unforetold: Witchstone looked interesting but the "recruit anyone" aspect is... alarming. Because I like playing with developed characters, not interchangeable paper cutouts.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: January 2nd, 2024, 07:26
Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes: A spiritual successor to Suikoden. What I liked about Suikoden was being able to mix and match a 6 man party from a huge roster of characters, and the war theme. Also good music. Not a fan of the sprites overlaid on a 3D background.
Bad news here, just watched the recent "pre-launch" trailer and it seems like the english script is full of Californian localizer humor. I'll still play it day 1 of course but it has put a damper on my excitement. Hard to judge an entire game from just those few snippets but... you know. We'll see the extent of the damage done on release.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

and that it has a big city of Prague, actually war going on in the world outside of a handful of main story sequences, polearms, and followers
yeah yeah should've included this in the first post. get over it jannie.

This won't be happening due to the engine and tech. KCD1 was already pushing the limit of what the cry engine can do on gaming computers, it took like 5 years of new hardware for people to be able to walk through Rattay without the frame rate plummetting.

Warhorse (seems) to want to do a game where every individual NPC is unique, has an inventory, a schedule and a disposition. Like old Bethesda but actually done well. This is a huge demand on scripting and it will absolutely blow up pretty much any CPU around if done on a larger scale than what was already done in KCD1.

At best you can maybe expect a *slightly* larger world, a *slightly* larger city than Rattay (but not much). I imagine after they had to spend years getting KCD1 to run well enough on people's computers that they will be more conscious of the technical limitations for any supposed sequel, if one ever happens.

And don't get me wrong i'm not knocking the cry engine, I'm just saying there's a reason why no game has ever done a "huge city" like you want while also having individual npc schedules, inventories, dispositions, tied to day and night cycles, property management, all that individual and unique quest scripting, etc.

And Warhorse actually did it better than Beth, in KCD1 there are few locked-off cells compared to Beth stuff. What they managed to do with the cry engine is incredibly impressive considering Beth whines that it needs their specialized engine they've been duct-taping together for decades to do what they do, meanwhile Warhorse did it with a third party engine on their first try AND did it 10x better.

Post by 1998 »

Kuro no Kiseki 2: Crimson Sin: I found the first Kuro no Kiseki game to be very lackluster in the story department, and from what I've heard Kuro no Kiseki 2's writing is even more disappointing. However, I do find the characters to be pleasant, I like the aesthetics, and I enjoy the combat and character building. I hope the soundtrack improves, though. This series used to have fantastic OSTs, but Kuro 1's OST was overall forgettable. The English fan translation patch for the game is mostly finished, just waiting for the better PC port by Durante to go up on Steam.
That's done now. I finished it a few weeks back and it's one of the better English patches out there.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

aweigh wrote: March 14th, 2024, 16:22
it seems like the english script is full of Californian localizer humor. I'll still play it day 1 of course but it has put a damper on my excitement. Hard to judge an entire game from just those few snippets but... you know. We'll see the extent of the damage done on release.
Why. Why do you do this? Even if you pirate, this is stupid.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

1998 wrote: March 16th, 2024, 17:24
That's done now. I finished it a few weeks back and it's one of the better English patches out there.
I presume you played with the CLE PC port? How good is the performance? I remember getting stutters during S-crafts on the NISA port on Kuro 1 and I feared that a CLE port would be worse.