We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

'Guilded' Chat Program

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

'Guilded' Chat Program

Post by WhiteShark »

I just heard about this thing from an HQser: https://www.guilded.gg/

The interface looks like Discord's. Does it have any advantages? Is it less censorious? Does the company spy on all your conversations and data? Who uses it? Somebody enlighten me.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I just know it as the site that everyone brings up whenever there's some (unfounded) scare that Discord is gonna start spying on every server and crack down on hate speech but I don't anybody who actually used it besides making a backup server in case their discord server got deleted (which never happened and the guilded server was left abandoned).
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Vergil wrote: March 14th, 2024, 22:17
I just know it as the site that everyone brings up whenever there's some (unfounded) scare that Discord is gonna start spying on every server and crack down on hate speech but I don't anybody who actually used it besides making a backup server in case their discord server got deleted (which never happened and the guilded server was left abandoned).
Not sure why you think that's unfounded. I've seen individual users and servers go down for stuff like that before.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

It's not unfounded, my old discord account and like a dozen other guys I knew had our accounts permanently banned and deleted just by association with a certain poli-blogger. We just made other accounts though so it wasn't a big deal, but if they started IP banning...
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

WhiteShark wrote: March 14th, 2024, 22:27
Not sure why you think that's unfounded. I've seen individual users and servers go down for stuff like that before.
I've never seen or heard of a case of private servers and individuals getting taken down without there being reports made to discord specifically. It's always been reactive not proactive.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Vergil wrote: March 14th, 2024, 22:31
I've never seen or heard of a case of private servers and individuals getting taken down without there being reports made to discord specifically. It's always been reactive not proactive.
And if Discord is willing to take people down for that stuff when it's reported to them, doesn't it seem like it's founded to worry that they might become more proactive about it in the future?

Regardless, that's not why I made this thread. I just want to know what's different or better about Guilded. So people planned to use it as a bunker. Does that mean they don't crack down on people who say nigger and make fun of trannies?
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

WhiteShark wrote: March 14th, 2024, 22:36
And if Discord is willing to take people down for that stuff when it's reported to them, doesn't it seem like it's founded to worry that they might become more proactive about it in the future?
I suppose anything is possible (it would be a massive headache and piss off a great number of people though) but I've just seen so many people freak out thinking the big purge is coming and then it never happens.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

it's proprietary shitware SaaS just like discord, it's exactly the same.
loregamer

Post by loregamer »

If your Discord server gets taken down, assume there was a snitch.

Also Guilded is okay. It has some features that Discord doesn't have and you get everything from Nitro for free basically, but it's also missing very basic features like searching in DMs and spoiler blurring images.

[Edit] One last thing. Allegedly, everything that is deleted is gone.
► Show Spoiler
Last edited by loregamer on March 14th, 2024, 23:29, edited 4 times in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Anything hosted is not secure.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

I have only briefly used guilded after getting invited to a MMO group that was on there last year. The interface looks similar Discord, though it was a little confusing trying to find the correct channels or schedule information. Dunno if that was how that group setup their channels or if that is indicative of the platform as a whole.
Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss on March 15th, 2024, 00:02, edited 2 times in total.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

On topic, I'm almost at the point of completely abandoning Discord even for following games I was interested in. HQ's IRC works great instead.
Norfleet

Post by Norfleet »

Nammu Archag wrote: March 14th, 2024, 22:29
It's not unfounded, my old discord account and like a dozen other guys I knew had our accounts permanently banned and deleted just by association with a certain poli-blogger. We just made other accounts though so it wasn't a big deal, but if they started IP banning...
I had my account nuked for speaking to a Hong Kong dissident, back when kowtowing to the Chinese was all the rage. I wasn't even part of any channels, I was there ONLY to speak privately to specific people who stubbornly insisted on using that stupid thing instead of using IRC as is proper.
Analogue Dreams

Post by Analogue Dreams »

Why do these Discord clones all make their programs look like Discord? The last thing I want is to be reminded of Discord especially when it doesn't look good to begin with. I miss the simple, clean look that was common with older chat programs. The better ones had all the same core functionality of Discord without the busy, cluttered look of a toy made to prey on and exploit teens and children. I assume anyone who copies them can't be better than them since anyone decent wouldn't want to be associated with Discord, and they suck at competition if their idea of it is being indistinguishable from what they're trying to compete with.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

loregamer wrote: March 14th, 2024, 23:21
Also, it's owned by Roblox LOL
/thread