D&D 6e to be renamed to 5e

For all your tabletop & board game needs.
Bah! They don't even play at physical tabletops anymore.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

D&D 6e to be renamed to 5e

Post by J1M »

At the creator summit debacle it was announced that they will no longer be referring to the next version of Dungeons & Dragons as D&D One. They will now be calling the new version "a 2024 update for 5e, specifically not 6e or 5.5".

It really does seem like a decision maker at Wizards is secretly on the payroll for Paizo. They keep making unforced errors when it comes to D&D 5r2024.
► Show Spoiler
IDtenT

Post by IDtenT »

Interesting change.

I had thought that they were going for an always updating VTT platform, hence "One", but of course these things are always more malleable than they would like to represent themselves.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

IDtenT wrote: April 6th, 2023, 12:12
I had thought that they were going for an always updating VTT platform, hence "One", but of course these things are always more malleable than they would like to represent themselves.
I doubt that's changed. My guess is that they don't want to lose the brand recognition of 5e nor split the userbase, so they're hoping to trick everyone into playing One by calling it 5e.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

It's still not Dungeons & Dragons.
REZOLD

Post by REZOLD »

they are the EA of table tops what do you exspect ......... every sane person should switch to pathfinder
or go back to third edition
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

REZOLD wrote: October 10th, 2023, 11:56
they are the EA of table tops what do you exspect ......... every sane person should switch to pathfinder
or go back to third edition
Agreed. However you want to play the game, there is a better version of D&D for it than 5e. No epithet describes 5e better than 'compromise edition'.
Slavic Sorcerer

Post by Slavic Sorcerer »

AFAIK the current CEO of WoTC is a former Micropepe Microsoft big wig
Like WhiteShark said - brand recognition

If I didn't know any better, I would say it's also about not splitting the fandom; like there is a split between 3.5e and 5e, most notably

It will take them a while to realize people will play however they want, regardless of what they're gonna do
Rand

Post by Rand »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: October 25th, 2023, 17:30
It will take them a while to realize people will play however they want, regardless of what they're gonna do
Oh, they know. And they're super butthurt about it.
One of the reasons they want to take everything digital and DRM subscription based is so they don't have those nasty books lying around with those outdated things like women or non-pedos or whatever other normal older stuff, and not the sick, twisted shit those fucking degenerates think should be retconned into D&D and so they (think they) can try to control the way YOU play.
Last edited by Rand on October 26th, 2023, 03:25, edited 3 times in total.
Slavic Sorcerer

Rand wrote: October 26th, 2023, 01:05
Slavic Sorcerer wrote: October 25th, 2023, 17:30
Oh, they know. And they're super butthurt about it.
One of the reasons they want to take everything digital and DRM subscription based is so they don't have those nasty books lying around with those outdated things like women or non-pedos or whatever other normal older stuff, and not the sick, twisted shit those fucking degenerates think should be retconned into D&D and so they (think they) can try to control the way YOU play.
I wonder when they'll start sending Pinkertons after people owning the physical copies and/or playing games their way

I can expect a visit cause they can be butthurt all day, all night, all year, and I'm not installing the app to play DnD.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

J1M wrote: April 6th, 2023, 11:38
At the creator summit debacle it was announced that they will no longer be referring to the next version of Dungeons & Dragons as D&D One. They will now be calling the new version "a 2024 update for 5e, specifically not 6e or 5.5".

It really does seem like a decision maker at Wizards is secretly on the payroll for Pazuzu. They keep making unforced errors when it comes to D&D 5r2024.
► Show Spoiler
Fixed.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

gatorized wrote: November 18th, 2023, 17:42
Why are you guys still playing this trash system?
Give me 3.5e or give me death.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

BG3 didn't have a menu option to pick a different rule version.

Interest endures because I want to see how the AI DM turns out.
Luckmann
Hamster
Hamster

Post by Luckmann »

General Reign wrote: October 28th, 2023, 08:10
J1M wrote: April 6th, 2023, 11:38

It really does seem like a decision maker at Wizards is secretly on the payroll for Pazuzu. They keep making unforced errors when it comes to D&D 5r2024.
► Show Spoiler
Fixed.
Let it be known that there was a time when the people at Paizo, the original group of people, back in the day, had a sense of humor, and that the actual origin of the name for their company was unironically Paizuri, which is why some people still refer to them as such as a way to piss them and their fans off.
Slavic Sorcerer

I still do. It's fun to me, and I don't know any better.

Or rather, I don't have an opportunity to experience other systems than 5e and XDM.

No friends, no community to try other systems with, and I'm way too old and tired to meet new people.

TT community attracted way to many wokies and snowflakes to risk wasting time.
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on November 22nd, 2023, 19:12, edited 1 time in total.
Luckmann
Hamster
Hamster

Post by Luckmann »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: November 22nd, 2023, 19:11

Or rather, I don't have an opportunity to experience other systems than 5e and XDM.

No friends, no community to try other systems with, and I'm way too old and tired to meet new people.

My sincere condolences.
Cipher

Post by Cipher »

Sad but true. If you want to find a game online with randos, there's a lot of "trigger words" and themes the games will include, specially gay shit and sexuality.

And its always D&D5e. No one wants to play anything else and no way to find a different kind of group.

I just stopped altogether. Now I buy books to read and imagine how the system plays.

Too many sudden impromptu degeneracy when playing with randos due to how the wokesters have infested the hobby, to its detriment as always happens when the feminists infiltrate entertainment.
Slavic Sorcerer

Cipher wrote: January 8th, 2024, 23:10
Sad but true. If you want to find a game online with randos, there's a lot of "trigger words" and themes the games will include, specially gay shit and sexuality.

And its always D&D5e. No one wants to play anything else and no way to find a different kind of group.

I just stopped altogether. Now I buy books to read and imagine how the system plays.

Too many sudden impromptu degeneracy when playing with randos due to how the wokesters have infested the hobby, to its detriment as always happens when the feminists infiltrate entertainment.
► Show Spoiler
This sucks man.
5e is easy, but there are easier systems.
Or systems that are more exciting.

Popularity of DnD arose after Stranger Things and Critical Role.
Suddenly, tourists arrived.
Tourists who years earlier made fun of TT players for playing their knights and rolling dice like nerds.

They expect another Critical Role, and disrespect decades of tradition.
I'm all about imagination and freedom, but I dont flirt with blacksmiths despite knowing my table is not keen on seeing that.

TT games is all about compromise among a group of people, something the normies and wokies cannot understand and accept.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: January 9th, 2024, 00:01
Tourists who years earlier made fun of TT players for playing their knights and rolling dice like nerds.

I'm all about imagination and freedom, but I dont flirt with blacksmiths despite knowing my table is not keen on seeing that.
Fucking Critical Role. It disgusts and confuses me the few times I've encountered it. The people it attracts to the hobby are not people I can tolerate.
Slavic Sorcerer

Rand wrote: January 9th, 2024, 00:37
Slavic Sorcerer wrote: January 9th, 2024, 00:01

Fucking Critical Role. It disgusts and confuses me the few times I've encountered it. The people it attracts to the hobby are not people I can tolerate.
I hate the streams, but Legends of Vox Machina was a well animated show.
Ofc it was borderline woke at times.
All men in the team are idiots, maybe save for Vex.
Also, as a bard player, I find the joke of horny bard fucking everything with a pulse so overdone by everyone and their mother and dog it's not funny anymore.

But the first season gave us Sylas Briarwood
And god almighty, he ticks all my boxes.

The Briarwoods, even going by the animated show alone, had IMO the best backstory compared to the main cast; as it usually happens with villains.
Delilah was based and trad wife pilled, sacrificing countless souls and making a pact with dark god to bring back her beloved husband.
Pity they made her dark-skinned in the show but at least she wasnt black

Second season was....eh. Good fun, but way too many meme references.
As with a lot of animated shows, the second season had more niggers.
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on January 9th, 2024, 10:23, edited 2 times in total.
Boontaker

Post by Boontaker »

I have played more "d&d" systems than I care to remember. They are all trying to reinvent the D20 while getting as far as possible from 3.5/pathfinder (1). It makes for very boring "gameplay". D20 is just a percentile game broken into 5% figures, if the game lacks appropriate number balancing then it becomes too RNG and starts to feel less like a game and more like a story with wacky dice.

Some friends of my fathers have moved back to state and want to play 5E this year, knowing how he and myself feel about 5e I bought him a 3rd party monster manual for Christmas to try (big TRY here) to make the game less of a nightmare to make encounters for.

The reason why many grognards love 3.5 was player options. The downside of the system was numbers bloat 5e reached a decent compromise IMO. It IS the best fantasy D20 game to just sit down and play, however the retard who made the 5e MM completely phoned that shit in and should be publicly shamed. Class balancing is pretty shit but the newer books helped a bit with that.

We are going to test a new houserule this year to help with balance. Any character using a weapon or spell they are proficient in can take the prof bonus as a penalty to the attack roll, for double the bonus too damage. This replaces the typical damage bonuses from feats. Who knows if it will work out but the math looks good, and should make the table less 2h paladin/Archer heavy.

Oh and I will buy the 6e books. I know...I KNOW, but if I can find 1 or 2 good rules to bring into standard 5e I'll take it
Last edited by Boontaker on January 9th, 2024, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Boontaker wrote: January 9th, 2024, 10:48
I have played more "d&d" systems than I care to remember. They are all trying to reinvent the D20 while getting as far as possible from 3.5/pathfinder (1). It makes for very boring "gameplay". D20 is just a percentile game broken into 5% figures, if the game lacks appropriate number balancing then it becomes too RNG and starts to feel less like a game and more like a story with wacky dice.

Some friends of my fathers have moved back to state and want to play 5E this year, knowing how he and myself feel about 5e I bought him a 3rd party monster manual for Christmas to try (big TRY here) to make the game less of a nightmare to make encounters for.

The reason why many grognards love 3.5 was player options. The downside of the system was numbers bloat 5e reached a decent compromise IMO. It IS the best fantasy D20 game to just sit down and play, however the retard who made the 5e MM completely phoned that shit in and should be publicly shamed. Class balancing is pretty shit but the newer books helped a bit with that.

We are going to test a new houserule this year to help with balance. Any character using a weapon or spell they are proficient in can take the prof bonus as a penalty to the attack roll, for double the bonus too damage. This replaces the typical damage bonuses from feats. Who knows if it will work out but the math looks good, and should make the table less 2h paladin/Archer heavy.

Oh and I will buy the 6e books. I know...I KNOW, but if I can find 1 or 2 good rules to bring into standard 5e I'll take it
People hate on the 5e system rules constantly but it’s the only good part of the whole system and it’s good enough to make it the most popular by far. The problem with 5e for me is the horrible tone and wokeness. All paladin or cleric classes and the portraits for them are black girlbosses or literal demons. There’s some awful tiefing oc every 4 pages. The book is set up for people to revel in degeneracy and feed their vices through the game. The whole system promotes self worship and seeing things through a lens of “everything is subjective there is no truth”. The nihilism and degeneracy is so baked into the system that it’s impossible to escape or create a story lacking it using the books.

If you look on reddit or any forum where people talk about their campaigns I genuinely doubt you could find a single game lacking a woke/perverse tone. I doubt it will be long until erp games for 5/6e become the norm online.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

Imo anything not published by tsr is fanfic.

Eberron is good fanfic and the rest, awful fanfic.
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

It IS the best fantasy D20 game to just sit down and play, however the retard who made the 5e MM completely phoned that shit in and should be publicly shamed. Class balancing is pretty shit but the newer books helped a bit with that.
Interesting, can you get into more detail? I have like 10 old 5e books but played very little to form a truly informed opinion... Eventually I adapted D20/D&D rules with a bunch of other systems to make my own fantasy rules for my two campaigns (2017-2020).
Goth-Girl-Supremacy

Post by Goth-Girl-Supremacy »

Wretch wrote: January 9th, 2024, 15:15
People hate on the 5e system rules constantly but it’s the only good part of the whole system and it’s good enough to make it the most popular by far. The problem with 5e for me is the horrible tone and wokeness. All paladin or cleric classes and the portraits for them are black girlbosses or literal demons. There’s some awful tiefing oc every 4 pages. The book is set up for people to revel in degeneracy and feed their vices through the game. The whole system promotes self worship and seeing things through a lens of “everything is subjective there is no truth”. The nihilism and degeneracy is so baked into the system that it’s impossible to escape or create a story lacking it using the books.

If you look on reddit or any forum where people talk about their campaigns I genuinely doubt you could find a single game lacking a woke/perverse tone. I doubt it will be long until erp games for 5/6e become the norm online.
"Don't hate on the really dumbed down system rules that made it easy for every moron to get into and open the hobby up to being taken over by degenerates."
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Irenaeus wrote: January 12th, 2024, 00:22
It IS the best fantasy D20 game to just sit down and play, however the retard who made the 5e MM completely phoned that shit in and should be publicly shamed. Class balancing is pretty shit but the newer books helped a bit with that.
Interesting, can you get into more detail? I have like 10 old 5e books but played very little to form a truly informed opinion... Eventually I adapted D20/D&D rules with a bunch of other systems to make my own fantasy rules for my two campaigns (2017-2020).
4e was focused on providing dungeon masters the tools they needed to efficiently craft and run a campaign. Players got more tactical combat. "Rules over rulings" => less negotiation at the table.

5e was focused on pandering to players in a "you can do whatever you want" way. Instead of the monster manual having math that allowed DMs to quickly make an encounter of the difficulty they wanted for the number of players they had at a certain level, the 5e one worried more about flavor text. Or giving a flavor ability based on feels. Misleadingly it also had rules for encounter building, but the results are as wildly inconsistent as picking things at random.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

6e dm guide will just be a single piece of paper that costs $59.99 and reads "eh just do whatever"
AmericanMonarchist

Post by AmericanMonarchist »

Cipher wrote: January 8th, 2024, 23:10

Have you read the "Consent Checklists" that have been floating around? I went to a board game clubhouse that opened to offer my services as a Dungeon Master only to discover that they require all participants to fill one out.
Hauberk

Post by Hauberk »

I have to ask... Consent to what?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Hauberk wrote: January 13th, 2024, 19:30
I have to ask... Consent to what?
I personally am triggered by being thirsty