We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Space Rangers series

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Xenich

Space Rangers series

Post by Xenich »

Did a site search, didn't see much anything mentioned about this (its fairly old), though I am sure some of you have messed with it over the years. I just wanted to throw this game out there because for some reason, it is one of those games that stuck with me over the years as being quite amazing due to its multiple system style play.

It covers just about every game play genre from 4x, Complete RTS engine for some missions, Text based adventure, space sim management and trade, and even some arcade style portions.

Game is generated each new game setup, so its replay ability is very high.

My favorite is the text adventure portions as most of them have game play elements that are strategies, not solutions so each time you play them again, you have to apply a method of approach and properly manage the conditions or you will still fail them (some can be very difficult).

The overall base play looks like it is action, but it is done based on movement turns in play (the videos just make it look like it is full action).

The game went through several releases, but overall it was just the same game improved, revamped, etc... over the years. Again, amazing game if you find any of this style of play interesting.
Last edited by Xenich on March 11th, 2024, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

space rangers 2 is pretty good despite the retarded level scaling
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

asf wrote: March 11th, 2024, 22:05
space rangers 2 is pretty good despite the retarded level scaling
Yeah, I think the broad spectrum of genres save it a bit on that note. If it were a game centered around that aspect only, it would certainly suffer greatly.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Xenich wrote: March 11th, 2024, 21:00
Did a site search, didn't see much anything mentioned about this (its fairly old), though I am sure some of you have messed with it over the years. I just wanted to throw this game out there because for some reason, it is one of those games that stuck with me over the years as being quite amazing due to its multiple system style play.

It covers just about every game play genre from 4x, Complete RTS engine for some missions, Text based adventure, space sim management and trade, and even some arcade style portions.

My favorite is the text adventure portions as most of them have game play elements that are strategies, not solutions so each time you play them again, you have to apply a method of approach and properly manage the conditions or you will still fail them (some can be very difficult).

The overall base play looks like it is action, but it is done based on movement turns in play (the videos just make it look like it is full action).

The game went through several releases, but overall it was just the same game improved, revamped, etc... over the years. Again, amazing game if you find any of this style of play interesting.
This is one of those games that has influenced several titles I love, but due to its aesthetic, I could never really get into sadly.
Last edited by Nammu Archag on March 12th, 2024, 04:17, edited 1 time in total.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Nammu Archag wrote: March 11th, 2024, 23:13
Xenich wrote: March 11th, 2024, 21:00

This is one of those games that has influenced several titles I love, but due to its aesthetic, I could never really get into it sadly.
That's too bad, it really is a quite addictive and has a lot of depth of play if you can get into it.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I hated the RTS sections, but otherwise it's a fantastic game
herkzter

Post by herkzter »

GhostCow wrote: March 12th, 2024, 02:40
the RTS segment is the only weak link in Space Rangers 2 besides the pirates having completely messed up balancing (which may or may have not been patched recently)

you can just outright skip the RTS segments by telling the guy offering the RTS tutorial to you to never offer RTS quests again
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

For those who don't like the changes they made in the War Apart remake with the pirates and the like, you can still get the Space Rangers: Reboot Dominators pak if you search for it as abandonware. It contains the 1st/2nd reboots of them).
Norfleet

Post by Norfleet »

herkzter wrote: March 12th, 2024, 04:13
GhostCow wrote: March 12th, 2024, 02:40
the RTS segment is the only weak link in Space Rangers 2 besides the pirates having completely messed up balancing (which may or may have not been patched recently)
Honesty, I never found the RTS section that bad, but I probably wasn't also playing it as an RTS, but rather, as a kind of budget Mechwarrior. I'd just build my favored super-mech, a support troupe to go with it, and then manually drive it to snipe my enemies.