We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

COLONY SHIP

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 4th, 2024, 06:55
Tweed wrote: March 4th, 2024, 06:54
I used to review games.
You made video essays.
Rusty used to want me to come back, now he doesn't.
Rand

Post by Rand »

aweigh wrote: March 4th, 2024, 06:21
Colony ship setting is something that is like, "hey that sounds interesting", but nobody actually wants to play anything like it.
There's potential for a game here, but they didn't find it.
It needs to be open world similar to Fallout 2, with a huge ship and different factions actively plotting that the player can interact with any way they want.
Then they set up their own crew to go into the "dark" areas of the ship to find resources and tech and stumble across something even worse down there as a climax.
Requiring them to choose whether to try to form a coalition or just break up the other factions for their resources and manpower.
Something like that. But this studio was too shortsighted and small to make that game, unfortunately.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Tweed wrote: March 4th, 2024, 07:09
wndrbr wrote: March 4th, 2024, 06:55
If you think that recording the first 30 minutes of the game with some surface level comments such as "it runs ok" and "the graphics are good" is a proper review, then you may as well buy games based on steam userscore.
Are you accusing me of that?
No, I was referring to Rusty's previous post.
Rand

Post by Rand »

wndrbr wrote: March 4th, 2024, 06:48
I don't know who splattercat is
A successful YouTube dingus.
I literally hate listening to the guy because of the stream of annoying nonsense that comes out of his mouth, but the videos are informative nonetheless.
He does initial impressions on RPG-like indie games, often in early release, that a lot of people might not be aware of.
He's annoying, but his impressions are generally correct, imo.
Last edited by Rand on March 4th, 2024, 18:09, edited 2 times in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Rand wrote: March 4th, 2024, 07:24
aweigh wrote: March 4th, 2024, 06:21
Colony ship setting is something that is like, "hey that sounds interesting", but nobody actually wants to play anything like it.
There's potential for a game here, but they didn't find it.
It needs to be open world similar to Fallout 2, with a huge ship and different factions actively plotting that the player can interact with any way they want.
Then they set up their own crew to go into the "dark" areas of the ship to find resources and tech and stumble across something even worse down there as a climax.
Requiring them to choose whether to try to form a coalition or just break up the other factions for their resources and manpower.
Something like that. But this studio was too shortsighted and small to make that game, unfortunately.
INSOMNIA: The Ark, maybe?
It has issues because it's not really finished. I'm pretty sure you can complete the game, but it didn't get the QA passes it needed.
Rand

Post by Rand »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 4th, 2024, 07:28
INSOMNIA: The Ark, maybe?
It has issues because it's not really finished. I'm pretty sure you can complete the game, but it didn't get the QA passes it needed.
I have that but have never even booted it up. I actually forgot I had it.
The premise looks like there my be something there, though.
Last edited by Rand on March 4th, 2024, 07:31, edited 1 time in total.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I bought it new because I thought it sounded great, didn't even have keybinds.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 4th, 2024, 06:32

Sseth reviews for whoever pays him to shill games.
Untrue, almost every game hes ever reviewed, with the exception of a few mmos, is a small game, and every time he has been paid to shill, he has disclosed it. Thats why people pay attention to him, he recommends good indie games. Most of the chink titles hes covered dont even have a discord, because discord is banned in CHINA I believe, so its hard to believe there was ever any contact with the developers.
Last edited by Lhynn on March 6th, 2024, 20:36, edited 2 times in total.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

None of the IT games would make for good Sseth material anyway