We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

General Computer Hardware Thread

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
GhostCow

General Computer Hardware Thread

Post by GhostCow »

I just got my first VA panel monitor a few days ago and I'd like to sperg about it a bit.

I ended up getting the INNOCN 27G1S that I posted a review of a few weeks ago in IRC and it's easily the best monitor I've ever owned. Compared to my old IPS panel, which was really high end, the ViewSonic ELITE XG270 which I paid over $400 for, the colors are way better. Probably because this one is color calibrated at the factory. I remember watching a particular anime on my old monitor where one of the girls had orange hair on my screen, but everyone in the show would say she had brown hair. On my new monitor her hair is actually brown. The colors seem a little muted and don't "pop" the way they did on my old monitor though. I'm not sure if this is a difference between VA and IPS or if it's just a difference in brightness.

The contrast is insane. Blacks actually look black. I also can't find any angle where the monitor looks different from looking at it from straight in front of it even though VA panels are supposed to have worse viewing angles. Overall I'd rate it 10/10 and I'm really happy that I was able to get a refurbished one for $155. Even brand new this monitor is under $300 if you buy direct from INNOCN or happen to catch it on sale on Amazon.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

so is it better than crt?
are u sure your brighting settings were not too high on old stuff? it should be under 5% of led power i think.

also
im looking for good panels in 16x10 and 4x3 ratio. they dont seem to make those anymore ppl too stupid for em and use inferior panoramic trash
anyone knows company that makes this shit link it
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Nothing is better than crt. This is better than IPS though.

No one really makes panels with thoae aspect ratios anymore so good luck on that.
Last edited by GhostCow on December 8th, 2023, 20:57, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

I miss really good large CRT monitors with near infinite fractional resolution.
I don't miss them drawing obscene amounts of power and weighing as much as a large child.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I don't give a shit about how much CRTs weigh. Give me a CRT that I need to lift with a crane if it can be a 27-32 inch 2:1 4k or 8k panel
Red7

Post by Red7 »

only issue i had with crts is the magnetic bullshit and screen deformation over time

with current tech they should make custom panels that glue to wall like wallpaper already
fucking wage slaves and commie states retard progress to justify their existence
PayStation

Post by PayStation »

Just read the original post. You bought an IPS gaming monitor and then complained about its image quality and color accuracy. IPS monitors are known for their good response time and high refresh rate but may have lower image quality compared to monitors at the same price point that focus more on image quality. It's typical for consumers to choose the wrong product and then blame it.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Return to tradition (Cathode Ray Tube monitors)
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

PayStation wrote: March 5th, 2024, 11:44
Just read the original post. You bought an IPS gaming monitor and then complained about its image quality and color accuracy. IPS monitors are known for their good response time and high refresh rate but may have lower image quality compared to monitors at the same price point that focus more on image quality. It's typical for consumers to choose the wrong product and then blame it.
Are you retarded? Ips is supposed to be the best for good color between tn, ips, and va. TN is the panel type with the fastest refresh rates.
Last edited by GhostCow on March 5th, 2024, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

PayStation wrote: March 5th, 2024, 11:44
said fagstation user
PayStation

Post by PayStation »

GhostCow wrote: March 5th, 2024, 16:07

Are you retarded? Ips is supposed to be the best for good color between tn, ips, and va. TN is the panel type with the fastest refresh rates.
But you bought a Gaming IPS panel. Did you know they tweak those panels for low response time (as low as TN) but suffer from poor color accuracy? Of course, you did not know, and that's why you complained about the image quality of your old monitor here, which is what I wanted to point out.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Amazes me that every type of monitor is still fucking trash in its own unique way
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Red7 wrote: March 5th, 2024, 09:56
at east 16;10 ffs i hate 16;9
Depends on your distance to the screen, but I get it.

I have the CHG90, and while I like it for some games, I have found it to be a little annoying (at least on general setup and config for some games). Nothing DXWND or running it black barred at a lower rez can't fix, but the UI's don't always work well and FFS, what idiot creates a resolution option for 32:9 and then puts the UI at the far edges of the screen? Damn near take out your neck trying to play some of those games.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: March 5th, 2024, 14:48
Return to tradition (Cathode Ray Tube monitors)
I actually loved them. I had a 22 inch around 2000 and I loved being able to swap resolutions on the fly and retain quality (it had a very good dot pitch because it was used for CAD work). I however did not enjoy the trips to LAN parties as it weighed over 60 lbs.