We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

'Looking for a game' thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

DagothGeas5 wrote: February 28th, 2024, 14:42
I think World of Warcraft has some water-based spells and summons, but am not sure.
I remember playing the trial for WoW as a mage and being made fun of for my water elemental :sad:

Tags:
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Vergil wrote: February 28th, 2024, 14:49
I think World of Warcraft has some water-based spells and summons, but am not sure.
I remember playing the trial for WoW as a mage and being made fun of for my water elemental :sad:
Did you wreck them all later with torrent abilities and the likes? I think I recall the water elementals being incredibly tanky. Also my favourite besides those the Warlocks summon
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: February 28th, 2024, 13:37
If you have any game that has water magic, feel free to recommend one to me

And no, by "water magic" I dont mean "ice magic" or "frost magic"
Those are two different vibes, and I will die on the hill of "water magic and ice magic are not the same" :mad:
I'm looking for water specifically

Games I played so far and had some, so recommendations wont repeat themselves:
- Divinity Original Sin II - Hydrosphist, mix between ice and water, but passable with some mods people have created overtime
- GW2 - Elementalist, although it's a mix between ice and water not always to my liking + the class is kinda weak and forces you to swap between elements
- Elden Ring - 2 spells that are water related
- Perfect World International - Psychic class has water spells, played this game for years and tbh it's hard to find something similar in other games
- Forsaken World - servers closed, and with them my Water Bard ceased to exist, and is brought back only as an echo in BG3 :rip: chasing that high of playing as Water Bard ever since
- Warframe - ofc I'd main Hydroid and Yareli for water-theme
- Dark Souls III - the whole Deep Sorcery is also passable, as narratively and thematically it is deep (water) related
- Skyrim with water spells mod - Skyrim is shit so I didnt replay it for long
- Genshin Impact - I have every Hydro character that has been released so far, including Neuvillete with his signature weapon :read:

Perhaps @WaterMage might know a thing or two :lol:
Tbh if RPGHQ made a community game on Unreal engine, it'd be cool to have water magic like water bending/ blood bending from Avatar.
I know many people here would want something topdown/ isometric, but as a normgroid, I like ragdolling wookies in the Force Unleashed.

Also, the ATB-system in FF7R is the best thing about the game surprisingly, it'd be fun to see that style of combat inspire other games.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

DagothGeas5 wrote: February 28th, 2024, 14:50
Did you wreck them all later with torrent abilities and the likes? I think I recall the water elementals being incredibly tanky. Also my favourite besides those the Warlocks summon
No I stopped being gay and made a paladin instead.
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Vergil wrote: February 28th, 2024, 14:56

Putting it in a spoiler as it might be offtopic:
► Show Spoiler
BobT

Post by BobT »

Lol rightly so.
Should have specced fire like a real man.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

DagothGeas5 wrote: February 28th, 2024, 15:02

► Show Spoiler
Hidden Content
This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Vergil wrote: February 28th, 2024, 15:06

► Show Spoiler
Hidden Content
Hidden Content
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

Some :

City of heroes

Gothic 2/3 -> HAs frost spells but also geyser, hailstorm and etc
Might & Magic VI/VII/VIII - Has some frost spells but also poison spray, water walk and acid beam sspells. Ice = frost water.
VtMB -> Blood magic -> Blood is close enough
PF:KM & PF:WoTR -> Hydrokineticist

In general, water is the most used element in RPG. BG2 has Fire, Earth and Air elementals but no water elementals.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

IMO magic that controls temperature should be separated from magic that controls matter of varying levels of density :Inspector:
Slavic Sorcerer

Post by Slavic Sorcerer »

WaterMage wrote: February 28th, 2024, 15:19
Some :

City of heroes

Gothic 2/3 -> HAs frost spells but also geyser, hailstorm and etc
Might & Magic VI/VII/VIII - Has some frost spells but also poison spray, water walk and acid beam sspells. Ice = frost water.
VtMB -> Blood magic -> Blood is close enough
PF:KM & PF:WoTR -> Hydrokineticist

In general, water is the most used element in RPG. BG2 has Fire, Earth and Air elementals but no water elementals.
Damn I forgot about Gothic series, even though i grew up on it.
I played Gothic 2: Night of the Rave. I spammed Water Fist just for fun of watching it go. Last time I played this Gothic 3 mess was a little over a decade ago, and stopped cause I couldnt stand how the NPCs were made
I payed WoTR too. Completely forgot about it due to Owlca's spyware fiasco

City of Heroes reminded me of DC Universe online. I might come back to it, although the game is boring as fuck

Blood Magic is close enough, yeah

Thanks for the recommendations. If something more pops up, feel free to mention me
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Are there any RPGs where being a vampire is both viable and more than just flavor/a class/a glorified stat besides VTMB and bethesda games (mostly with mods)?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Those are two different vibes, and I will die on the hill of "water magic and ice magic are not the same" :mad:

- Divinity Original Sin II - Hydrosphist, mix between ice and water, but passable with some mods people have created overtime
- GW2 - Elementalist, although it's a mix between ice and water not always to my liking + the class is kinda weak and forces you to swap between elements
- Perfect World International - Psychic class has water spells, played this game for years and tbh it's hard to find something similar in other games
- Forsaken World - servers closed, and with them my Water Bard ceased to exist, and is brought back only as an echo in BG3 :rip: chasing that high of playing as Water Bard ever since
- Dark Souls III - the whole Deep Sorcery is also passable, as narratively and thematically it is deep (water) related
- Genshin Impact - I have every Hydro character that has been released so far, including Neuvillete with his signature weapon :read:

Noita lets you flood entire areas with rain clouds and just drown everything.
WaterMage

Post by WaterMage »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: February 28th, 2024, 16:08
Thanks for the recommendations. If something more pops up, feel free to mention me
There are also mods

For example, Skyrim has the water magic mod which got incorporated into elemental destruction(also adds wind and earth)

The druid for Dark Souls 3 Convergence has a lot of life manipulation/poison and water magic spells, there is also a cryomancer class which is great and can cast avalanches, and ice spears.

And Returning 2.0. for Gothic 2 which allows you to play as an water mage

edit : I would say DDO but Water Savant Sorcerer is closer to a cryomancer than a hydromancer.
Vergil wrote: February 28th, 2024, 16:11
Are there any RPGs where being a vampire is both viable and more than just flavor/a class/a glorified stat besides VTMB and bethesda games (mostly with mods)?
Mount & Blade -> Legacy of the Dragon mod.
Last edited by WaterMage on February 28th, 2024, 16:31, edited 3 times in total.
Slavic Sorcerer

WaterMage wrote: February 28th, 2024, 16:21
Slavic Sorcerer wrote: February 28th, 2024, 16:08
There are also mods

For example, Skyrim has the water magic mod which got incorporated into elemental destruction(also adds wind and earth)

The druid for Dark Souls 3 Convergence has a lot of life manipulation/poison and water magic spells, there is also a cryomancer class which is great and can cast avalanches, and ice spears.

And Returning 2.0. for Gothic 2 which allows you to play as an water mage

edit : I would say DDO but Water Savant Sorcerer is closer to a cryomancer than a hydromancer.
Mount & Blade -> Legacy of the Dragon mod.
I used that Waterbender mod in Skyrim
Maybe I'll give Skyrim a go again, but good god, after the first playthrough I'd prefer watching paint dry
This is the only RPG game that didnt prompt me to make several characters to have different playstyles and themes

This convergence mod would fit my Druid fantastically. Dark Souls III already has deep sorcery I'm a fan of
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Sacred has a Vampiress character, which aside from being able to switch between the mortal form of a knight and vampire form, has its own personal questline (hidden I believe) where you hunt down the one that made you into a vampire, but aside from this, presently nothing more comes to mind besides modding a game to be darker (the sims 4 for example, but it feels empty to me) or playing straight up tabletop (World of Darkness). I think there is a vampire mod for Cyberpunk, but unless it has updated since I last checked, it only added flavour things and abilities.
One that, though, I think you know already, is Baldur's Gate 3 by playing as Astarion as an Origin character. I only tested the Act 1 a little, but it came closer to anything else I can recall with dialogue, subterfuge, etc. If they make an "afterwards" DLC, would be great to stalk the city as him during the night.
All in all, would love to know as well if there is any game that adds more depth to something that has so many roleplaying opportunities.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

DagothGeas5 wrote: February 28th, 2024, 16:39
Sacred has a Vampiress character
As an addendum I would like to add I will never play as a female character and female vampires in particular disgust me
One that, though, I think you know already, is Baldur's Gate 3 by playing as Astarion as an Origin character.
I still haven't done an Astarion origin playthrough. I was pretty disappointed that having ascended Astarion turn you results in zero visual changes or really any special dialog and all you get is the (admittedly pretty useful) bite ability.
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Vergil wrote: February 28th, 2024, 16:50
Sacred has a Vampiress character
As an addendum I would like to add I will never play as a female character and female vampires in particular disgust me
One that, though, I think you know already, is Baldur's Gate 3 by playing as Astarion as an Origin character.
I still haven't done an Astarion origin playthrough. I was pretty disappointed that having ascended Astarion turn you results in zero visual changes or really any special dialog and all you get is the (admittedly pretty useful) bite ability.
I am finding no videos on this, so I am starting to fear they removed it from the release version of the game, but this is an example from Early Access of what Astarion can do as choices. It is very similar to Dark Urge from what I recall.
► Show Spoiler
I am sure he had this and more when I tested him in the release version, if it was removed I would be surprised, and disappointed yet again, by this game.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

• Trails: One of the seven elements is water, which includes water and ice arts. Water arts typically heal but there are some damaging water arts where you shoot jet streams of water. You could build a character to specifically reduce the cost and AT delay of their water spells if you want to play as a water mage. However, water arts have never been the meta element. In Sky, Aerial, White Gehenna, and Death Scream dominate. In the Crossbell games, Lord Inferno dominates. In the Cold Steel games, you usually want to either spam death/time arts or use the Lost Arts to one shot everything, and in Kuro the death/time arts once again reign supreme.
  • Suikoden: the series allows you to equip elemental runes which gives you access to spells. The third game, Suikoden 3, allows one of the three protagonists to acquire the True Rune of Water, which is one of the most powerful runes and makes them into a powerful water magician.
  • Vantage Master: You can conjure water summons who travel very quickly over water, and cast a spell to raise or lower the map's water level to enable/inhibit the movement of yours or the enemy's water/ground forces. The designs of the monsters were pretty cool. I liked being able to summon fishbowl monsters.

• Final Fantasy 11: has damaging water spells, and you could acquire equipment to boost the power of water magic. FF12 also had damaging water spells and a water summon, but I don't think there was any equipment or license board talents you could pick to specifically boost the power of water magic.
  • Tactics Ogre: There were a plethora of damaging water spells. I can't remember if it was possible to make builds that specifically enhanced water magic.
  • On the Ascension WoW private server, you can pick just water spells and acquire enchants that specifically boost the power of them. You could make a water themed character.
  • I think one thing about Guild Wars 2 you might have overlooked is that the Elder Dragon themed legendary weapons change the aesthetic of some of your abilities. If you have Soo-Won's legendary weapons equipped, some of your class' attack animations/effects are are replaced with water themed effects and trails, but the Untamed class is bugged and will still show the generic green goo animations. However, this being a legendary weapon, it is rather expensive to acquire.
Mages specced into Frost can summon a permanent Water Elemental pet, but you only get the one model. Ascension WoW made many elemental mobs tameable, so you get more models to choose from.

► Show Spoiler
I mained Prot paladin during Dragonflight. I was able to use the new talent tree to remove some button bloat by consolidating/merging abilities. It is also very easy to play because you get so many powerful defensive cooldowns that you can be constantly rotating. You also have some movement capability with Divine Steed. The only issue with Prot is that a lot of your defensive mitigation is tied to standing inside your Consecration AoE which you lay down on the ground, and certain boss mechanics can remove you from the protection of that Consecration (like Oakheart's grab in Darkheart Thicket).

Retribution paladin (the DPS spec) can also be built to be very easy. I talented mine so that I merged a bunch of abilities and made my crusader strike into an autoattack, so I didn't have to constantly mash buttons every second. I actually had time to look away from my hotbar and save other people by throwing out my utility spells on them. Another nice thing about Ret this expansion is that you can talent it to increase the range of its abilities, and allow you to deal your rotation at midrange rather than just melee. That's really nice in PvP too. Lastly, ret paladin this expansion has some cool fire themed abilities like Truth's Wake.

I haven't touched Holy paladin since Legion, when it was a Warhammer Age of Reckoning esque battle healer that wanted to whack enemies in melee to heal his teammates.
Last edited by Val the Moofia Boss on February 29th, 2024, 07:00, edited 1 time in total.
Slavic Sorcerer

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: February 29th, 2024, 06:55
I think one thing about Guild Wars 2 you might have overlooked is that the Elder Dragon themed legendary weapons change the aesthetic of some of your abilities. If you have Soo-Won's legendary weapons equipped, some of your class' attack animations/effects are are replaced with water themed effects and trails, but the Untamed class is bugged and will still show the generic green goo animations. However, this being a legendary weapon, it is rather expensive to acquire.
I didnt overlook really. I want one of those weapons for my Elementalist, but holy fuck thats a lot of work :rip:

Your comprehensive list is fantastic. Trails in the Sky and Suikoden caught my eye so I might check them out. Thank you so much ^_^
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

Are there any games like the old Prince of Persia one in terms of 2D view and graphics, oriented preferably towards puzzle solving?

I always loved the atmosphere it has, and this sort of graphics and use of sounds is something that I dearly miss from just about anything that is around these days. The closest one that comes to mind is an old Disney game about Hercules
https://www.gog.com/game/disneys_hercul ... ion&r=true
Last edited by DagothGeas5 on March 3rd, 2024, 21:22, edited 1 time in total.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

DagothGeas5 wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 21:22
Are there any games like the old Prince of Persia one in terms of 2D view and graphics, oriented preferably towards puzzle solving?
I've had this game recommended to me before:

I haven't played it but I know it's a lot of mystery and puzzle solving in a big underground ruin.
DagothGeas5

Post by DagothGeas5 »

WhiteShark wrote: March 4th, 2024, 01:04
DagothGeas5 wrote: March 3rd, 2024, 21:22
I've had this game recommended to me before:

I haven't played it but I know it's a lot of mystery and puzzle solving in a big underground ruin.
Looks very interesting, thank you for sharing!