We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

2023 RPG of the Year Poll

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.

What was your favorite RPG of the year?

Please note that results are sorted by decreasing number of votes received.

Baldur's Gate III
56%
Caves of Lore
9%
Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader
5%
Colony Ship
4%
Jagged Alliance 3
4%
Lies of P
3%
Etrian Odyssey HD
3%
Hogwarts Legacy
2%
Solasta: Crown of the Magister - Palace of Ice
2%
Underrail: Heavy Duty
2%
Octopath Traveler II
2%
Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty
1%
Age of Wonders IV
1%
Darkest Dungeon II
1%
Wartales
1%
SpellForce: Conquest of Eo
1%
Islands of the Caliph
1%
Forspoken
1%
REMNANT II
1%
Persona 3 Portable
1%
Starfield
No votes
Diablo IV
No votes
Space Wreck
No votes
Blood West
No votes
Sea of Stars
No votes
The Lords of the Fallen
No votes
Lunacid
No votes
Fallout: Sonora Dayglow
No votes
The Last Spell
No votes
Dark Envoy
No votes

Total votes: 115

TKVNC

Post by TKVNC »

Emphyrio wrote: March 1st, 2024, 18:01
TKVNC wrote: March 1st, 2024, 16:00
Why Baldur's Gate 3?

Because generally speaking, Fantasy beats most other settings. Despite it's many flaws, it's still a pretty passable game, and with enough effort you can make it into something at least tolerable.

Naturally it's not as open-ended as a TTRPG, but if you have no friends that want to play TTRPG's, then what choice do you have?

*Edit, spelling.
are you a real person? answer honestly
I guess that depends on how many times you want me to say the Gamer Word, really.
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

The_Mask wrote: March 1st, 2024, 18:36
Someone lolcowed and gave Forespoken 1 vote. Starfield? Still sitting at a fantastically round goose egg.
Huh, @Atlantico had voted for Starfield initially but he changed his vote to CoL

Todd bros... we fell for FALSE ADVERTISING :(

Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: March 1st, 2024, 19:32
The_Mask wrote: March 1st, 2024, 18:36
Someone lolcowed and gave Forespoken 1 vote. Starfield? Still sitting at a fantastically round goose egg.
Huh, @Atlantico had voted for Starfield initially but he changed his vote to CoL

Todd bros... we fell for FALSE ADVERTISING :(

Can't trust anyone anymore. Todd has a knife in the back.

But was it mine or was it Rusty's? :eyebrows:
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Reeb wrote: February 29th, 2024, 23:27
Mortmal wrote: February 29th, 2024, 23:14
Reeb wrote: February 29th, 2024, 20:30

This is how you end up with bullshit "collect 500 pelts" and "kill 500 goblins" quests that waste everyones time. I'd take an excellent 20 hour game over a 100 hour game that's been padded with time killers.
What's really happening is you will get the 20-hour game, with quests like "collect 500 pelts" and "kill 500 goblins," especially in the indie scene.
Compare that to BG3, which is well over 80 hours long for one playthrough, no trash encounters, and has the best quest design I've ever seen.
We used to have 50+ hour games fitting on one or two floppy disks too before; there's no such thing as games being too long.
Ah yes, as opposed to ass creed literally making you collect 500 feathers/whatever and taking forever to beat, where if you could just do the important missions the games are like 10 hours. No game is too long if it is a masterpiece but that causes less than stellar games to try to extend playtime and make the game even worse.
I can probably list more good long RPGs than short ones tbh.
Depending on where you stand on Vogel's games, that's more than the entirety of good short RPGs altogether.

There are tabletop campaigns people have been playing for decades. RPGs do not become bad because they're long. They can be bad if padding is used to lengthen them, sure. But RPGs naturally lend themselves to being long.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 2nd, 2024, 07:54, edited 2 times in total.
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

Vogel's games have too much grind, I could never get into them. I only ever finished the first Geneforge but despite liking the game otherwise the constant grind made me give up with sequels.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 07:52
Just my personal preference and surely missing many:
Tales of Maj'Eyal, Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Nu Vegas, Fallout 2, ADOM, BG3, DOS1, DOS2, Wiz8, DAO, KCD, Underrail, Archolos, Wasteland 2, Wasteland 3, ATOM(can be lengthy), Ultima VII, ELEX, Gothic 2, World of Xeen. Probably others.
I recall Might & Magic 6 & 7 being rather long but can't recall just how long right now.

This is assuming a full completion: as much as can be done in my single playthrough. I don't half-ass games when I play them.

In terms of short games, I feel like I'd just be listing games that were originally envisioned as part of a larger series and therefore don't make excellent standalone titles but decent series. Fallout is an exception, I suppose. Gothic feels very much like — for lack of a better word — a prototype for Gothic 2. I'd be very pressed to list more short games than Gothic, Fallout, & Mass Effect that I rank similarly to those games.

[edit]
I think storyfags prefer shorter games tbh. I don't get the right sense of adventure from them.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 2nd, 2024, 08:32, edited 1 time in total.
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 08:29

[edit]
I think storyfags prefer shorter games tbh. I don't get the right sense of adventure from them.
I enjoy good stories and consider it better if they are long. However, very often long games do not have good stories throughout and the late game is just filler. So your assumption might be wrong, but I can only speak for myself.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I suspect a lot of RPGs will be considered both short and long depending on how much side content you do. Truly good RPGs that are short even when completing all content is probably not that common.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 2nd, 2024, 08:43, edited 1 time in total.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 08:29
That is me. A lot of the RPGs I prefer can be completed within 30 hours: Fallout, Deus Ex, Jagged Alliance 2: Unfinished Business, Bloodlines, Mask of the Betrayer, Alpha Protocol, Dungeon Siege III, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mars: War Logs, South Park, Shadowrun Returns, Dragonfall, Hong Kong, Woke West.
Last edited by Roguey on March 2nd, 2024, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

ToME isnt exactly long. each given playthrough is usually short.
Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 29th, 2024, 13:18
@Oldtimer, I think you accidentally reported a post you meant to reply to.
Very possible. And now I don't even remember what it was...
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Lhynn wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 15:52
ToME isnt exactly long. each given playthrough is usually short.
Lhynn just admitting he sucks at it
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Mortmal wrote: February 29th, 2024, 23:14

What's really happening is you will get the 20-hour game, with quests like "collect 500 pelts" and "kill 500 goblins," especially in the indie scene.
Compare that to BG3, which is well over 80 hours long for one playthrough, no trash encounters, and has the best quest design I've ever seen.
We used to have 50+ hour games fitting on one or two floppy disks too before; there's no such thing as games being too long.
Ah yes, as opposed to ass creed literally making you collect 500 feathers/whatever and taking forever to beat, where if you could just do the important missions the games are like 10 hours. No game is too long if it is a masterpiece but that causes less than stellar games to try to extend playtime and make the game even worse.
Depending on where you stand on Vogel's games, that's more than the entirety of good short RPGs altogether.

There are tabletop campaigns people have been playing for decades. RPGs do not become bad because they're long. They can be bad if padding is used to lengthen them, sure. But RPGs naturally lend themselves to being long.
Don't you cheat and speed hack though?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

maidenhaver wrote: March 2nd, 2024, 20:25

Don't you cheat and speed hack though?
only games like drakensang
anyone who has played drakensang will understand
Mortmal

Post by Mortmal »

Drakensang is a really sad example. It comes from a very well-established tabletop system, very complex, and could offer a very deep RPG experience. It has decent artwork and animations, and technically, it was good. But no, they had to use that with a real-time with pause system without any tactical depth and made it as generic and bland as possible instead of fully utilizing Nordic lore and folklore.