Unconventional opinions of RPGs

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

GhostCow wrote: March 30th, 2023, 23:06
It looks retarded and no one would do it in a real fight
>the jrpg fan brings the realism argument
GhostCow wrote: March 30th, 2023, 23:05
J1M wrote: March 30th, 2023, 22:33
Okay, but this thread is about RPGs, not WWD games (wait-wait-dodge).
You definitely did a better job of describing why I think the combat is shit than I did
Yeah, I guess you would think Dark Souls combat sucks if you didn't parry, block, strafe, nor attack.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

in fact, I completely support being able to roll. And it should be the worst choice you can make at any point in any fight, it should exist solely to mock people who think rolling around is a good idea
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

WhiteShark wrote: March 30th, 2023, 23:11
GhostCow wrote: March 30th, 2023, 23:06
It looks retarded and no one would do it in a real fight
>the jrpg fan brings the realism argument
Realism only matters when you aren't following the rule of cool and there is nothing cool about rolling. It's extremely stupid looking and not at all fun.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

GhostCow wrote: March 30th, 2023, 23:15
It's extremely stupid looking and not at all fun.
It doesn't look particularly cool in a fight with a human-sized opponent but rolling under a giant monster's attack is pretty darned cool. I'm also having trouble picturing what it means that rolling isn't 'fun'. Do you grimace every time you sense that you'll need to dodge soon? Are you gritting your teeth in agony when your finger presses the button?
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

WhiteShark wrote: March 30th, 2023, 23:17
GhostCow wrote: March 30th, 2023, 23:15
It's extremely stupid looking and not at all fun.
It doesn't look particularly cool in a fight with a human-sized opponent but rolling under a giant monster's attack is pretty darned cool. I'm also having trouble picturing what it means that rolling isn't 'fun'. Do you grimace every time you sense that you'll need to dodge soon? Are you gritting your teeth in agony when your finger presses the button?
I don't like games where the enemies are bigger than my viewport. It makes it hard for me to track what's going on. I'm blind in one eye and can't view the entire screen at once as it is.
Dead

Post by Dead »

I also find fighting giant ankles uninteresting. Dodging can be satisfying if it requires skill and strategic spacing. But when dodging has long i-frames, spacing becomes nearly irrelevant and skill is reduced to learning enemy attack timing. Rolling looks dumb, dashing like in Bloodborne feels cooler. I'd like Soulslikes to get rid of i-frames in dodging, which would make spacing and environment become more relevant.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

witcher 3 dabbing on weeb games by putting the iframes on the sidestep instead of the roll
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Don't be sad guys, I'd still kick your asses at Quake or UT.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

I understand rolling as a "dodge action" that gets your character out of harm's way. The game was made in 2011 on a peanuts budget, and that's what they had at their disposal.

If you're asking: why didn't they perfect that in DS 2 and 3? then yeah, I'm right there along with you.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Dead wrote: March 30th, 2023, 23:41
I also find fighting giant ankles uninteresting. Dodging can be satisfying if it requires skill and strategic spacing. But when dodging has long i-frames, spacing becomes nearly irrelevant and skill is reduced to learning enemy attack timing. Rolling looks dumb, dashing like in Bloodborne feels cooler. I'd like Soulslikes to get rid of i-frames in dodging, which would make spacing and environment become more relevant.
I gave this an agree for the part about iframes. I'm okay with a very small number of iframes the way Monster Hunter does it where it's just enough for a skilled player to flex by rolling through monster roars but not sufficient to negate 99% of attacks via iframes alone. I was very disappointed with the dodging when I played Nier: Automata because it's pure timing and positioning is completely irrelevant. Parries, too, should have strict conditions. I love the way charge blade works in Monster Hunter: certain attacks give you frames where if you would get hit you instead block it, but you can't simply press a block/parry button at any time, so you have to work it into your combat flow and really understand the timing of your moves and of the monsters'.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Okay, here's another one: an easy game cannot be a good game. I do not care how nice a game looks, how good it sounds, how neat the subsystems are, etc. etc. if the game fails at the one basic thing a game is supposed to do: challenge me. I get depressed every time I read a glowing review of a game in which I'm interested only to see a line like, "It's a bit on the easy side, but..." Worse still with Japanese game reviews. At least in English reviews, people usually admit that a game being easy is a drawback. Most reviews I see in Japanese paint it as a good thing, talking up how "smooth" it is to advance and how "stress-free" the game is. Can't enjoy a game that boils down to busywork. Had more than enough of that for one lifetime in public school.
Dead

Post by Dead »

Japanese people calling easy games "smooth" is strange, but then their food is similar, much of it melts in the mouth.
Segata Sanshiro
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

WhiteShark wrote: March 31st, 2023, 04:19
Okay, here's another one: an easy game cannot be a good game. I do not care how nice a game looks, how good it sounds, how neat the subsystems are, etc. etc. if the game fails at the one basic thing a game is supposed to do: challenge me. I get depressed every time I read a glowing review of a game in which I'm interested only to see a line like, "It's a bit on the easy side, but..." Worse still with Japanese game reviews. At least in English reviews, people usually admit that a game being easy is a drawback. Most reviews I see in Japanese paint it as a good thing, talking up how "smooth" it is to advance and how "stress-free" the game is. Can't enjoy a game that boils down to busywork. Had more than enough of that for one lifetime in public school.
Nintendo fans in shambles...
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

The only Souls game I liked was the original Demon's Souls, not just because I found it refreshingly linear because of it's level select, but the superior worldbuilding that such design allows can't be understated. Each world in Demon's Souls was visually distinct and memorable, and the sound design instilled a feeling of dread and unease that later games sorta lacked.

It also helps that Demon's Souls was the first in the series, and didn't have all the memes and expectations placed on it by soy youtube channels.
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

I think that more investigative RPGs like Call of Cthulu, Delta Green, and WFRP have been unrightly pushed aside in the realm of cRPGs. From this comes the lack of a proper expansive dialogue system, where topics and tone of delivery are important. The only RPG I know that got close to this was Daggerfall, and even then it was still barebones. Let my clothes and social rank matter in conversation! Make a good system that would filter autists or train them to be socially adept. I just want a cool dialogue system...
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Rigwort wrote: April 1st, 2023, 01:15
I think that more investigative RPGs like Call of Cthulu, Delta Green, and WFRP have been unrightly pushed aside in the realm of cRPGs. From this comes the lack of a proper expansive dialogue system, where topics and tone of delivery are important. The only RPG I know that got close to this was Daggerfall, and even then it was still barebones. Let my clothes and social rank matter in conversation! Make a good system that would filter autists or train them to be socially adept. I just want a cool dialogue system...
clicking dialog options isnt a game
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

Emphyrio wrote: April 1st, 2023, 02:08
Rigwort wrote: April 1st, 2023, 01:15
clicking dialog options isnt a game
Are you disagreeing or agreeing? Because based on premise you are, but based on tone you aren't...
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

GhostCow wrote: March 30th, 2023, 22:03
I have no idea why anyone would think it has better combat than Gothic, Risen, Mount and Blade, or Dark Messiah.
I've just played through Risen again for the cheevos and the core of the combat plays out in a similar if not identical way to Dark Souls. Dodge, block, parry, attack. The main difference is that Dark Souls has a greater variety of higher quality animations, so it looks nicer and might feel better to play, but functionally the combat isn't better or worse. It functions on the same basis.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

CRINGECRINGECRINGECRINGE[glow=red]CRINGE[/glow]CRINGECRINGECRINGECRINGE
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

I think I only found achievements worthwhile on some puzzle games like the ones published by Zachtronics. Achievements on RPGs outside of "Kill thing on hardest difficulty" seem not just like a waste of time, but also defeat the true "meat" of what finding a secret feels like. Meanwhile on some difficult puzzle games, getting it actually feels like you did something. I dunno, maybe it's just me.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

I can't dispute that it's cringe. It is what it is. I'm still getting 'em though.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

my rarest achievement is in Shroud of the Avatar, a hidden achievement in a game nobody plays