OSRS — Oldschool Runescape.

For RPGs that require a persistently online connection.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

None of you actually play this, right? I haven't played RuneScape since I was in middle school.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

WhiteShark wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 17:45
None of you actually play this, right? I haven't played RuneScape since I was in middle school.
Oh yes I do.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Botting doesn't count as playing, Rusty.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

WhiteShark wrote: February 3rd, 2023, 18:06
Botting doesn't count as playing, Rusty.
You are fake news.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

I never played any Runescape but I played New World and the only things I liked in it was the crafting, the mining, tree chopping, fishing, etc. and building the levels for that. Is Runescape worth playing for a new player?
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

I think the issue most mmo games have is they never designed with the idea of people botting.

Some newer games have started to accept the reality and give regular players tools to set up bots, write lua scripts, etc to automate some of the more repetitive aspects of game play.

You might say, "well, just design the game not to have these repetitive task!"

That doesn't help in the long term economic sense though. Designing a game around people playing on a human time scale (for resource acquisition), just means people who bot will have that much better advantage.

I think the secret sauce for a successful mmo will be finding a way to blend botting into a game universe while still making the non-botting aspects of the game enjoyable.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Ranselknulf wrote: February 7th, 2023, 10:41
I think the issue most mmo games have is they never designed with the idea of people botting.

Some newer games have started to accept the reality and give regular players tools to set up bots, write lua scripts, etc to automate some of the more repetitive aspects of game play.

That doesn't help in the long term economic sense though. Designing a game around people playing on a human time scale (for resource acquisition), just means people who bot will have that much better advantage.

I think the secret sauce for a successful mmo will be finding a way to blend botting into a game universe while still making the non-botting aspects of the game enjoyable.
Botting isn't fun if other people can bot freely.

Not that I'd know.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 7th, 2023, 13:39

Not that I'd know.
This. The entire reason people bot is because the shit in game has perceived value, it has perceived value because it takes a lot of time to acquire. You allow players to bot and it loses perceived value because, while it may still take a lot of time to acquire, it ain't your time.
The future of MMOs will be two AIs trying to outsmart each other, one will bot and the other will try to detect it.
Also you're a piece of shit for botting Rusty, I want you to know that.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Sweeper wrote: April 20th, 2023, 21:16
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 7th, 2023, 13:39

Not that I'd know.
This. The entire reason people bot is because the shit in game has perceived value, it has perceived value because it takes a lot of time to acquire. You allow players to bot and it loses perceived value because, while it may still take a lot of time to acquire, it ain't your time.
The future of MMOs will be two AIs trying to outsmart each other, one will bot and the other will try to detect it.
Also you're a piece of shit for botting Rusty, I want you to know that.
revenant

Post by revenant »

If an MMO is a proper & true one, i.e. with full loot, everything just falls into place automagically. Botsjust can't compete with real players in full loot zones so the problem is instantly eliminated
FPYockey

Post by FPYockey »

I wish I could play runescape again but jagex insists upon shitting it up. I feel like every update just caters to their gimmick modes like ironmen and skilling makes no money. Good example of why democracy is bad.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

the alternative is even worse, because we've seen it
they've repeatedly added pride shit to the game without any user input because they know it would lose overwhelmingly each time. So the entire 'vote' thing is just an illusion of choice(shocker!) when it comes to sacred cows.
Might remind you of exactly how it went in real life, too.
Oyster Sauce

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: October 11th, 2023, 04:49
they've repeatedly added pride shit to the game without any user input because they know it would lose overwhelmingly each time. So the entire 'vote' thing is just an illusion of choice(shocker!) when it comes to sacred cows.
I think they recently went through the desert/Arab area and sanitized everything they considered "icky" without a vote as well. The audacity of these faggots to destroy their betters' work.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Oyster Sauce wrote: October 11th, 2023, 09:15
I think they recently went through the desert/Arab area and sanitized everything they considered "icky" without a vote as well. The audacity of these faggots to destroy their betters' work.
Don't know if they did that in OSRS, but they did it in RS3. The entire point of it was a joke the nu-devs apparently didn't even understand, all the arab guys had the same name because they were all trying to get the inheritance. So they changed their names without even understanding the story.

They also altered a classic quest that has been in the game for longer than some of the devs have been alive, where you had to go change your sex to a woman at the magician if you were a man because "no man" could defeat the knight. Irony overload, tbh.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on October 11th, 2023, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.
FPYockey

Post by FPYockey »

At least the community pushed back, the KKK riots were hilarious.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

FPYockey wrote: October 12th, 2023, 01:12
If Jagex wants to go full on globohomo (they have), I ain't saying shit. If it was any other game I'd be spamming the shit out of the chatbox with the most racist, homotranswomanphobic shit I could come up with, but I sank way too many hours into this motherfucker to get banned.
Last edited by Sweeper on October 24th, 2023, 10:44, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

I wish this was the worst thing to criticize about them

At least OSRS is (still) the MMORPG with most integrity in the market.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Locked into the game with a thousand island stare at the screen.
SiMtRy

Post by SiMtRy »

caved in and bought a membership after being in f2p hell forever. what are some decent money-makers so that i can bankroll my game with bonds innstead
Anon

Post by Anon »

Rush any midgame boss like Vorkath, Zulrah or Corrupted gauntlet, all of them easily sustain bonds. You could right off the bat hit revenants or wilderness bosses for similar results, if you don't mind dying occasionally to PKers. Another good easy alternative is giant mole, though it gives less money than the former alternatives.

But honestly I'd just pay up membership till you reach the point where you can sustain bonds with regular casual gameplay, being a slave to bonds isn't fun in my humble opinion.
fulgrim456

Post by fulgrim456 »

Hopefully CVC arent as retarded at the last bagholders who ruined the modern runescape with mtx.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Huge update today btw, with an entire new region.

Anybody who loves gaming and MMORPG should play OSRS at least once.
Oyster Sauce

Post by Oyster Sauce »

The grand exchange is gay and makes me not want to play almost as much as the actual gay stuff
Oyster Sauce

Post by Oyster Sauce »

I also didn't play Runescape 2, mostly just Classic.
Scruffins

Post by Scruffins »

FPYockey wrote: October 12th, 2023, 01:12
I was there. They had jmods there perma banning anyone wearing white robes or saying anything that could be slightly perceived as "homophobic". We lost many good people that day.
Last edited by Scruffins on March 20th, 2024, 21:55, edited 1 time in total.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Oyster Sauce wrote: March 20th, 2024, 21:48
The grand exchange is gay and makes me not want to play almost as much as the actual gay stuff
You know there's an ironman mode right?