The Legend of Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

This is remarkably similar to Breath of the Wild, it feels like Nintendo is stuck in a 2017 timeloop. 6 full years, and all we get is an expansion with the same graphics, same art style, same UI. It's pathetic, really.

Had this released in 2019/2020, it would have been appropriate. But in 2023, you'd expect a lot more.
Segata Sanshiro
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

OMG IS THAT A HECKING ROCK ON A STICKERINO???? TAKE MY MONEY NINTENDO!!!!111
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

This doesn't look like a rational allocation of dev resources. They reused the engine, the assets, the map layout and most of the mechanics, while working on an already familiar hardware. And it still took them six years.
Ventidius

Post by Ventidius »

That gameplay bit has proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that weapon degradation is back. Though it seems like this time you'll be able to repair a weapon by fusing it with something else: the segment showed Link using a "badly damaged" tree branch to craft a makeshift hammer, then using the hammer to fight some enemies without any sign that it was degraded. So that, at least, seems like an improvement, especially considering that there appear to be few limits to the combinations you can make (which means you should be able to fuse-repair most things, I'd imagine). Although I can't help but wonder just how many times you can modify the same base item. Still, I hope that there is some kind of smithy or way to actually just repair weapons normally. Fusion repair is fine, and will probably encourage experimentation, but I feel it wouldn't be enough to address the system's issues.

We already knew they were using the same engine and art style, the deciding factor was always going to be the content, especially the dungeons and enemy variety. The latter seems to have been vastly improved, from what we've seen so far, to the point that this is finally starting to feel like a Zelda game, bestiary-wise. But it is a bit worrying that they haven't shown anything relating to dungeons, especially now that they've confirmed that weapon degradation is back.

They seem to be doubling down on the sim-like features of BOTW, for better or worse. Can't say it was the aspect that I enjoyed the most about that game, or one that makes for an interesting alternative to traditional Zelda gameplay on its own, but it is undeniably in line with the player freedom-focused design of the original. I guess we'll have to see how they integrate it with the rest of the game's elements, like dungeon exploration (supposing dungeons are back). I could see makeshift tools facilitating interesting navigation in a sandbox dungeon like BOTW's Hyrule Castle.

Tbh, the thing that really discourages me the most after watching that gameplay showcase is that the chance of proper handcrafted and handplaced itemization is very low. Having that feature was an advantage so well exploited by other open world games like Morrowind, New Vegas, and Elden Ring (or heck, even some of the old non-open world Zeldas that had optional weapons and upgrades, to a certain extent), and it's sad to see TotK forfeiting such an obvious design opportunity. I don't know why crafting and exploration tend to go hand in hand in modern games when, more often than not, they sabotage each other rather than synergizing.
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

Ventidius wrote: March 28th, 2023, 18:17
Tbh, the thing that really discourages me the most after watching that gameplay showcase is that the chance of proper handcrafted and handplaced itemization is very low. Having that feature was an advantage so well exploited by other open world games like Morrowind, New Vegas, and Elden Ring (or heck, even some of the old non-open world Zeldas that had optional weapons and upgrades, to a certain extent), and it's sad to see TotK forfeiting such an obvious design opportunity. I don't know why crafting and exploration tend to go hand in hand in modern games when, more often than not, they sabotage each other rather than synergizing.
It's a wonder to me that games keep doing the "crafting" thing. It seems obvious that players like tweaking their weapon more than crafting it (or they don't like messing with that side of things at all). It's fun to tweak guns or add enchantments to weapons, to create something deadlier either using modifications you find, a skilled smith, or through enchanting it. Heck, even poisoning a weapon I find to be an extra bit I enjoy. Of course, not everyone wants that. But if you want to have crafting have it be for consumables or something of that nature. And no, weapons and armor should not be consumables Nintendo.
DJOGamer

Post by DJOGamer »

Interesting direction
I think the islands are the replacement for the Divine Beasts + Shrines
Also the hyrule overworld seems more "bumpy"

Playtesting every possible combination of the Fuse and Ultrahand must've been a pain in the ass...
wndrbr wrote: March 18th, 2023, 02:46
DJOGamer wrote: March 17th, 2023, 21:38
There's never been more than 2 mainline Zelda titles on the same home console
yeah but wasn't botw supposed to be wiiu system seller?
Technically so was Twilight Princess (for the GameCube that is)
They seem to be doubling down on the sim-like features of BOTW, for better or worse. Can't say it was the aspect that I enjoyed the most about that game, or one that makes for an interesting alternative to traditional Zelda gameplay on its own, but it is undeniably in line with the player freedom-focused design of the original.
Same thing happened with Mario Odyssey
I finally managed to get Yuzu to run it properly last year - fine game perhaps the better 3d mario (though I have yet to complete it...)
But compared to Mario 64 and Galaxy - which are very much focused primarly on platforming - Odyssey is more like Mario themed sandbox, with each level having some unique gimicks (hat powers)
It seems modern Nintendo's design approach to their flagship IPs is turning them into playgrounds...
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

the artbook that leaked hinted at their being at least four dungeons based on different races, hopefully they are more like proper dungeons than the divine beasts.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

There's already some of that in BOTW with the dragons, the fairy springs and the monster salesman, so there's no reason to think they won't put rare things in out of the way places. I don't know what you mean by there's a "[very low] chance of proper handcrafted and handplaced itemization." The game world isn't random, it wasn't in BOTW, everything is placed in specific places by the devs.
Ventidius

Post by Ventidius »

krokodil wrote: March 29th, 2023, 01:18
There's already some of that in BOTW with the dragons, the fairy springs and the monster salesman, so there's no reason to think they won't put rare things in out of the way places. I don't know what you mean by there's a "[very low] chance of proper handcrafted and handplaced itemization." The game world isn't random, it wasn't in BOTW, everything is placed in specific places by the devs.
You are right, and collecting and upgrading armors was one of my favorite aspects of BOTW. I should probably have specified that I was talking about weapons and shields rather than items in general. And looking back, I see that I misspoke by implying that the problem with BOTW was a lack of handcrafting/handplacing. I think that what really bothers me was the lack of powerful and permanent unique items that allow you to build a playstyle around, such as those found in the open world games I mentioned above. There was indeed some special non-armor/non-mask gear aside from the Master Sword, but IIRC it was all degradable, including the Hylian Shield, so little of it felt special or game changing.

For the most part, the player relies on hunting for regular weapons with the desired modifiers, all the while knowing that it won't be too long before they are replaced. It's not the same as a system of fully randomized loot (though the types of modifiers, even if not the tier, are indeed random), but it's not that much more engaging than one.

I know that not everyone agrees that this kind of thing is necessary to have a good open world game, but I do think that it helps a lot in making exploration feel more rewarding. The armors in BOTW go a long way towards making the progression-exploration interplay in that game interesting, but to me, few things match the gaming joy of finding a powerful weapon that completely changes your game plan while exploring. Something like the Gobi campaign rifle in New Vegas, or the Bolt of Gransax in Elden Ring, or a Daedric weapon in Morrowind.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

the 100 dollar bill on the floor here is coop

if they wanted to print money they could just take botw and add nothing but coop
KnightoftheWind

Honestly I'm more excited for that long rumored Oracle of Ages/Seasons remake than this. Because at least those are legitimate Zelda titles, and not some weird anime fan fiction version of Zelda where Link doesn't even wear his iconic outfit. It's like Mario not wearing his overalls, it's ridiculous.

I think the modern Zelda team is too busy smelling their own farts, and lost the concept of what a Zelda game is. They're just chasing fads and trying to be "new" while neglecting the elements fans expect from this franchise. In the same amount of time after the release of Dark Souls III, From Software has published Sekiro and Elden Ring. Two visually distinct titles, with the latter having a far superior open world to BOTW. There really isn't an excuse, and I think Nintendo needs to start reorganising their development staff.
SDG

Post by SDG »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 29th, 2023, 23:22
the 100 dollar bill on the floor here is coop

if they wanted to print money they could just take botw and add nothing but coop
No multiplayer plz. Just give me more of the same, but better.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

Last edited by krokodil on April 13th, 2023, 19:42, edited 1 time in total.
KnightoftheWind

At least when this game comes out all the shitty youtube channels will stop talking and "theorizing" about it. They've milked this game dry over the past 6 years, just let it end so we can move on to an actual NEW Zelda game.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

can't wait for the eventual lawsuit due to denuvo not allowing people to play copies they legally purchased on emulators
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

KnightoftheWind wrote: April 13th, 2023, 04:56
At least when this game comes out all the shitty youtube channels will stop talking and "theorizing" about it. They've milked this game dry over the past 6 years, just let it end so we can move on to an actual NEW Zelda game.
niggas keep theorizing about the very first Zelda game which is like 30 yrs old at this point.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

wndrbr wrote: April 14th, 2023, 01:43
niggas keep theorizing about the very first Zelda game which is like 30 yrs old at this point.
Try 37 years. I was collecting tri-force pieces before most of you were even born.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Tweed wrote: April 14th, 2023, 01:54
wndrbr wrote: April 14th, 2023, 01:43
Try 37 years. I was collecting tri-force pieces before most of you were even born.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Tweed wrote: April 14th, 2023, 01:54
Some of my favorite childhood memories are playing the NES demo at our local Wal-Mart: Super Mario Bros, Duck Hunt, and Kid Icarus were fun enough, but I absolutely loved playing the Legend of Zelda. The box displayed behind the counter with the heraldry on the shield, and the golden cartridge fascinated me. I would stand there watching other people play the entire time my mom shopped.

I was one of the many kids in my class who got an NES for Christmas that year. I was in 4th grade. A few weeks later my parents let us pick out a few games, and I remember we ended up getting Slalom, Gun.Smoke (my dad thought it was based on the TV series), and of course my pick was The Legend of Zelda. I would take the game booklet with me on car trips, re-reading the first few pages with the incredible picture of a sculpted Hyrule map and the background story interlaced with anime-style pictures over and over. That was the first time I really felt like a game "belonged" to me.
KnightoftheWind

If you like classic Zelda, try the redux hacks of 1 and 2. Zelda 2 Redux in particular transforms the game into one of the best in the series, I'm not joking.
Ventidius

Post by Ventidius »

The new designs for Ganondorf and Gleeok look pretty cool.
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

I think the latest trailer is quite good and I appreciate the milky Ico-aesthetic.
That said I have not played a Zelda game in a decade properly and even when I tried BotW the openworldiness turned me off in a big way.
Segata Sanshiro
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Cedric wrote: April 21st, 2023, 07:34
I think the latest trailer is quite good and I appreciate the milky Ico-aesthetic.
That said I have not played a Zelda game in a decade properly and even when I tried BotW the openworldiness turned me off in a big way.
Nig why did you stop coming to the IRC?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Try not to post direct links to pirated content, I don't feel like dealing with DMCAs tbh. Indirection to another site should be fine, as it's no longer "hosted" here.