We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Various video game stuff not deserving its own thread

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

I'm tired of seeing options for "color blindness" settings in games now. Especially when I first start them up. If you're a fucking mutant you're lesser than me and should have to be reminded of that.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Nah, that's the kind of stuff accessibility is supposed to mean. Not this new zoomer interpretation of "game too hard, make story options".
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Acrux wrote: February 25th, 2024, 17:19
Nah, that's the kind of stuff accessibility is supposed to mean. Not this new zoomer interpretation of "game too hard, make story options".
I want less accessibility.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Something like 1 in 5 men are colorblind so I'm obligated to support those mutants and therefore support the addition of colorblind options.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on February 25th, 2024, 17:24, edited 2 times in total.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Vergil wrote: February 25th, 2024, 17:22
Wait until you hit your 40s, kid, and need UI scaling options for everything.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Acrux wrote: February 25th, 2024, 17:37
Vergil wrote: February 25th, 2024, 17:22
Wait until you hit your 40s,
Not planning on it!
Anon

Post by Anon »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 25th, 2024, 17:23
Something like 1 in 5 men are colorblind so I'm obligated to support those mutants and therefore support the addition of colorblind options.
natural selection etc
BobT

Post by BobT »

Anon wrote: February 25th, 2024, 18:01
natural selection etc
Well yeah that's probably a result of it. Gotta be some reason why it's such a high stat, must have given some advantages in certain situations.
But yes I agree with colour blindness / FOV / motion sickness options.
I also hate default easy modes where games bug you to swap to an easier mode (or do it automatically!) if you die too many times. Stop the hand-holding ffs.
Last edited by BobT on February 26th, 2024, 03:49, edited 1 time in total.
ArcaneLurker

Post by ArcaneLurker »

BobT wrote: February 25th, 2024, 22:01
natural selection etc
Well yeah that's probably a result of it. Gotta be some reason why it's such a high stat, must have given some advantages in certain situations.
But yes I agree with colour blindness / FOV / motion sickness options. I also hate default easy modes where games bug you to swap to an easier mode (or do it automatically!) if you die too many times. Stop the hand-holding ffs.
Actually, I think Anon is saying they should be selected OUT.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

BobT wrote: February 25th, 2024, 22:01
natural selection etc
I also hate default easy modes where games bug you to swap to an easier mode (or do it automatically!) if you die too many times.
:|
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Sprinkling in conlang words gives you pillars of eternity-tier dialogue, but what's an example of extensive use of conlang that actually ended up well done?
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on February 26th, 2024, 03:43, edited 1 time in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Planescape Torment.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 26th, 2024, 03:43
Sprinkling in conlang words gives you pillars of eternity-tier dialogue, but what's an example of extensive use of conlang that actually ended up well done?
I think this sort of thing actually fits far better in alien settings. Something like Dark Sun would probably benefit from copious amounts of conlang.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Wouldn't any of those mercenary company tactical rpgs count?

Fallout 1/2 have caravan guard missions.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Multiplayer games designed around 5v5 are worthless. 12v12 is the absolute minimum acceptable match size.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 27th, 2024, 07:53
Multiplayer games designed around 5v5 are worthless. 12v12 is the absolute minimum acceptable match size.
But what kind of a man can wrangle up 12 people he knows to play a game with him at the same time?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

A Chinese opium den wrote: February 27th, 2024, 08:06
Oyster Sauce wrote: February 27th, 2024, 07:53
But what kind of a man can wrangle up 12 people he knows to play a game with him at the same time?
I had hundreds of friends on the private TF2 server I played on... hundreds....

Last edited by Oyster Sauce on February 27th, 2024, 08:23, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I was playing soulash 2 and I couldn't help but think, man this game would be pretty fun if it was multiplayer.

(if you're unaware of what it is)

I have such little interest in solo sandboxes.
Xenich

Post by Xenich »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 24th, 2024, 21:06
'customizable difficulty' is just zoomerspeak for cheat menu
I don't mind it so much, as long as these options are not changeable after the game starts. I have poor self control when it comes to having easily accessible "cheats" within the system as you play. Yes, I know all of this can be done with additional tools (ie cheat engine, using hint sites to cheat through knowledge, etc..) but as long as I didn't have to exit the game, or go out to DL something, etc.. I was fine. Though, as soon as there was a simple key or setting to hit, it became more difficult for me.

I think the addition of Underrail's map is a good example. I preferred its original state where there were no maps. It provided exploration as an element of management, and you had to either map it yourself, or retain the information about your adventure. Being able to simply hit a key, while petty or silly for some to think an issue, was akin to trying to fast and someone placing a plate of tasty food right in front of them. Sure, you are a rock and a testament to strong will to resist I guess, but the mechanic of an map was never so important that I felt this need to resist it after it was added. BTW, not saying the game is bad because it was added, just making a point on such features being too accessible in play, but at times I think that it would have been nice to have an initial setup menu where I could tailor the game with some of those like features turned off, kind of like a more "advanced" Ironman mode you could tailor to your own experience.

The reason I disliked it was because a lot of my early games (for instance Wiz 7) were rough and I remember antagonizing, thinking about it when I was not playing the game how I would approach a given problem (much like the days of the old adventure games running various solutions through your head while you were doing other things). While it was "frustrating", it was a part of the process and made the game more "fulfilling" for me ultimately. Even back then, there were still means to gain the cheats (hex editing, getting hints through magazines, or BBS's, local hobby shop, etc..), but they took extra steps which were much easier to resist the temptation.

I do agree though, some of the modern generation has gotten so used to cheating everything, it has bled into the gaming systems heavily.
Last edited by Xenich on February 27th, 2024, 16:01, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

https://rpgwatch.com/forum/threads/rpg- ... 1061744444
Like the Cyberpunk 2077 Phantom Liberty thread, which has this as its first comment: "Whose idea was it to put ecelebs and discord trannies in a game that isn't about hunting them down and killing them?"

Or the thread titled "The Best RPGs made exclusively for white NES and Gameboy players".
Cesspools, all.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 27th, 2024, 21:43
Or the thread titled "The Best RPGs made exclusively for white NES and Gameboy players".
They don't even understand what it means. :headbang: :yawn:
Element

Post by Element »

Acrux wrote: February 27th, 2024, 22:02
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 27th, 2024, 21:43
They don't even understand what it means. :headbang: :yawn:
Tbf neither did we
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

is it possible to win Age of Decadence without being a murdering, backstabbing asshole?
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata »

Emphyrio wrote: February 27th, 2024, 23:15
is it possible to win Age of Decadence without being a murdering, backstabbing asshole?
You can be a talkative praetor and get a disappointing ending/third act by staying loyal to your initial faction.

Also a talkative imperial guard who only engages in battle when necessary and ends up with low reputation for avoiding battle most of the time.

And last, a faction-less grifter/drifter/loremaster as long as you're fine with skipping most content.
Last edited by Segata on February 27th, 2024, 23:43, edited 1 time in total.
Breathe

Post by Breathe »

The Zelda director says they're done with the current BoTW and ToTK structure. Hopefully they make a good Zelda game again...
Irenaeus

Post by Irenaeus »

Breathe wrote: February 28th, 2024, 00:18
The Zelda director says they're done with the current BoTW and ToTK structure. Hopefully they make a good Zelda game again...
Haven't played a good one since Majora's Mask.