Monsters & Memories

For RPGs that require a persistently online connection.
GhostCow

Monsters & Memories

Post by GhostCow »

New RPG from Niche Worlds Cult. Basically a remake of Everquest, but without stuff they could get sued for. Was originally code named shmeverquest. Looking really good so far, but also looks to be at least three years off. Hopefully they will complete the game before releasing and not do some gay early access shit.

Trailer
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

Man that looks nice. I wonder if it will be like EQ in that you need a party to play.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Yeah, they aren't really catering to the solo players, though solo will probably be about as much of an option as it was in EQ. One thing that I really like is that they aren't going to have raids and will be designing the entire game for 6 man groups.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Raids in EQ were a complete mistake.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

What classes are you guys interested in? I'm thinking that I want to check out the Archer if it turns out to be good ranged dps without a lot of fluff. I'm also interested in the Bard, but only if it ends up basically being the EQ Bard with automated song twisting. Wizard sounds kind of weird to me. I think back when I was a teenager first playing EQ, I would have loved the idea of a Wizard who does melee, but now I'm old and set in my ways.

Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

I liked raiding. I think the big mistake was not allowing parallel character progression via hard (really hard) group content, crafting etc. EQ etc made raiding the only viable way to get good/interesting/cool gear.

I think that's one thing FF XI nailed. Half the BIS items for all jobs pre-Wings was either crafted or came from group-only content (BCNMs etc).

Didn't I hear in the Codex MnM thread that they're having development problems and not making a lot of progress?
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

The problem with EQ raids was the lockout timers and how you had to rush certain mobs to complete your epics. If you missed that week's raid you were SOL and had to wait a week for another spawn.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Kalarion wrote: February 5th, 2023, 05:28
Didn't I hear in the Codex MnM thread that they're having development problems and not making a lot of progress?
No problems that I know of. They are just a small team with 0 funding so things aren't moving at a lightning pace. It's basically being made by a bunch of guys working in their spare time for free. With that in mind, they are actually progressing pretty quickly for what they have to work with.
MadPreacher wrote: February 5th, 2023, 05:47
The problem with EQ raids was the lockout timers and how you had to rush certain mobs to complete your epics. If you missed that week's raid you were SOL and had to wait a week for another spawn.
Better than instancing imo, but raids were always extremely boring to me anyway. I've actually fallen asleep on a raid more than once. It's even worse than camping some rare spawn for 16 hours with a small group.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I just don't like the concept of raids altogether. Herding cats isn't fun, small groups are fun.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 5th, 2023, 06:14
I just don't like the concept of raids altogether. Herding cats isn't fun, small groups are fun.
This is generally true, but you can get some truly epic moments if things go right.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Gregz wrote: February 5th, 2023, 18:23
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 5th, 2023, 06:14
This is generally true, but you can get some truly epic moments if things go right.
Which almost never happens. If you're lucky then everyone gets in, gets set up, and the job gets done in less than a hour. Otherwise you're just sitting around trying keep everyone together long enough to do what you tell them. Being a raid officer is a nightmare because your average guild member is a mouth breather that needs to be told again and again where to stand and what to do.

For most of us it means sitting around for about an hour doing sweet FA, getting buffed, losing said buffs because of a delay, getting rebuffed again if the buffers remember to do it and then finally burning down a mob that usually only lasts about 5 minutes if that unless there's some magical hoops to jump through to kill it (like the Rathe council, dear lord.).
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Update 28 dropped today: https://monstersandmemories.com/updates ... th-friends

Hi all!

We’ve rolled into 2023 with the same steady pace we’ve had throughout 2022. One big difference is that we’ve been able to do it with our friends and family in tow.

As we mentioned last month, we had a goal of getting people from outside of the team onto our new Test Server, so that we could work out any obvious tech challenges while starting to gather feedback on the game.

That goal was accomplished, and we’ve been operating in a hybrid New Development & Live Operations mode ever since.

This means that while we’re continuing to create new features and content, we’re also addressing the bugs and feedback that have been rolling in via our /bug tool and the Discord channels we’ve provided our testers.
Why are we testing so early?

The bug fixes we make now, priorities we identify from real players, and the feedback we gather all make our foundation stronger and should save us time in the long run. Waiting to gather this info later or at the end of the development cycle makes no sense to us.

Also, since we’re making a MMORPG, our thought is that the sooner we build and test the tools needed to support a live service, the better. And this approach will help us build our live ops “chops” well in advance to going live.

We’ve received a couple hundred bug reports and pieces of feedback, and the team has been steadily chipping away at them.

The changes are too many to list here in text.

If you’re interested in seeing what’s been going on behind the scenes, we’ve provided a peak into that work in the images below:

If you’ve scrolled through the images above, you’ll see that we’ve stayed busy and learned a fair bit over the last month or so.

We’re a small, part-time team, but we take the project seriously, and for some of us it’s not our first rodeo.

We’re looking forward to pressing towards having a larger public playtest, so that we can get a feel for our tech stability under heavier loads.

And from there, we’ll be pushing toward completion of our Proof of Concept. This will take time, but it’s going to be an interesting year for us!

Now here’s a look at some of the other stuff we’ve been doing. Enjoy!
Character Art & Concepts

Iteration on Player Character texture style, technical approach, and pipelines

- We’ll show some of this here, but expect another big iteration to be shown off next update

Iteration on the Human player mesh

Various NPC and class related concepts

Class illustrations for future website revisions and Player’s Manual

VFX iteration

Bug fixes in support of playtesting

Environment Art & Concepts
Night Harbor

Finished gray box of Sagesyde Library interior.

Finished gray box of Sagesyde Wizard tower.

85-90% completed on Spellbinders Spire block out.

Started cleaning up navigation from the Main gates to Sagesyde.

- Redirected street flow

- Temp signage

- Gray boxed new PoI to draw players attention towards Sagesyde and The Necropolis districts

Building out of interiors for the Harbor District

Tomb of the Last Wyrmsbane

Blocked out new rooms in the Ossuary Antechamber area.

Finished underdeveloped room in the central area of tomb.

Full lighting, quality and optimization pass of the zone's tomb section. (Cave section not started.)

Modeled unique torches for Wyrmsbane.

- Animation for pulling torch created.

Spike trap prefab and animations created.

Various Nav mesh and geo fixes to prevent pathing and navigation exploits found during friends and family testing sessions.

Created stone decal of the current Wyrmsbane symbol.

Created a banner material for the current Wyrmsbane symbol.

Various Nav, Geo, Lighting fixes across various zones.

Ability Icons and Backgrounds concepted and created

Game Design / QA / Animation / Sound / Tech

Too many changes to list here.

Scroll through the Patch Notes in the first section of this update.

If we continue at this rate, we’ll work on finding a better format for this in the future.

MnM Category Added to Twitch

Monsters & Memories now has its own Category on Twitch. Be sure to give us a follow here via THIS LINK.
In Closing

As always, thanks again for being here!

And a special thanks for all of the Friends & Family that have been putting in some serious hours playing the game, giving us feedback, and writing up bug reports.

It’s been huge for us!

For everyone else, be sure to join the mailing list if you haven’t already. We’ll make better use of it in 2023.

We’ll see you in the next update.
Gregz
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gregz »

Dear God that reddit spacing.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

Doesnt seem to offer anything Im not already getting from conan. Maybe a few new dungeons.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Does Conan have sandwich combat?

MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

GhostCow wrote: February 7th, 2023, 04:45
Does Conan have sandwich combat?

It only counts if they have Rueben and subs.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Update 30 is the big one. Anyone else going to be testing? I have a friend building a new PC just for this.

https://monstersandmemories.com/updates ... s-progress
Update 30: Stress Test Info & March’s Progress
Apr 3
Written By Shawn Lord

Hi all!

We said last month that we were hoping to have a Public Stress Test by the end of March.

After running through the feedback and issues from a recent Friends & Family Stress Test, we’ve decided to push the public test until the end of April (28-29th).

We’ve posted more information about this in our Discord, so we hope you take the time to swing by and read the rest of the details.

Again, check our Discord for more info on the upcoming stress test.

As I type this, over 800 people have expressed their interest in trying to smash our servers that weekend, so… well… it may end up being chaotic, but it’ll be a fun milestone either way.

And until then, here’s some data we’ve pulled from our Friends & Family Testing.

And so… while the upcoming Stress Test has been a big focus for design and tech, we’ve also got plenty of other work done, and a ton of new art to look at. Enjoy!
Character Art & Concepts

This month we completely rebuilt the character texture loading system. Ali revamped the tech and the art team prepared new human male model and textures, and also transitioned a bunch of old textures to the new system.

Also:

We can tint everything with color gradients now!

New faces, facial hair, and armor sets added

Hair and facial hair still a work in progress

Updated textures to match the new UV layout

Created a new shader for the fire elementals

Reworked Ghost shader to work with both the new lerped gradient texture system, and diffuse textures

Human Male nipples added (Happy Birthday, Shawn!)

Saber Model added

Dragon Shield added

Backpacks can now change colors

Pouches can now change colors

View fullsize 2yvppvq3kc_360.gif
View fullsize skintones.gif
00:00
00:06
% buffered

A note from Goblin regarding the Concepts Above:

“I wanted to include this to give context to our new armor system and how it affects concept art.

Each gear slot has a maximum of 3 different colors we can apply to the piece of gear. It's enjoyable for me to problem solve what 3 colors gets allocated to what gear slot, but it also pushes some nice repetition, and complexity to the designs.

Take for example the torso slot. It overlaps the shirt slot, so we essentially have 6 possible overlapping colors on that one area. This only gets more complex when mentioning shoulders and capes, which can share the shawl space.

Zukan and Patrick (vgfx) were incredibly prolific in their desire to simplify the system we had - and this revealed a manageable complexity to our armor system, while also offering more novelty in the designs.”

Audio & Animation

Ocean sounds tweaked

Floating Dome sounds added

Shaded Dunes music and sound effect setup

Merchants now have music

Crocodile movement sound fixed

Rat and Ashira footsteps quietened

Added new human animations

Idle animations for Ghoul, Wererat and Ogre

Environment Art & Concepts

Night Harbor

Northern Newbie Yard revamp gray boxed complete

Sage Side continued updates

Night Harbor Nav Mesh Optimization

Various geo fixes / adjustments across the zone

Rough lights added through Night Harbor to help with night time navigation

Fishing Volumes Added

Exterior block-out of Mirthful Djinn (Inn)

First pass on the "Elemonkalist" Guildhall and adjacent cavern

Collaborated on first pass of Yuum & Gyffre statues with Goblin

Completed interiors for the majority of Twilight Harbor buildings

Modelled props based on concept art for the Elementalist Guildhall

Wyrmsbane

Fixed invalid vert issue causing black screens in the antechamber wing

Fixed light triggers in Elite tomb area

Fixed an issue causing max shadow count to be reached in certain rooms, causing shadow flickering

View fullsize Capture10.PNG
View fullsize Capture1.PNG
View fullsize Capture2.PNG
View fullsize Capture3.PNG
View fullsize Capture4.PNG
View fullsize Capture5.PNG
View fullsize Capture6.PNG
View fullsize Capture7.PNG
View fullsize Capture8.PNG
View fullsize Capture9.PNG
View fullsize NightHarborRugs3.jpg
View fullsize NightHarborRugs1.jpg
View fullsize NightHarborRugs2.jpg
00:15
% buffered
Game Design

Content

Northern Newbieyard has been updated

Rogue starter quests have been added

Completed initial quest writeups for the rest of the class guilds

Began implementation of the remaining first stage newbie quests

Various Night Harbor population adjustments

New Zone MUD interactions

Began deity lore expansion

Itemization

Tattered Cloth Robes can now be broken into scrap

Tattered Cloth Robes can now be upgraded to Patched

Patched Cloth Robes should work properly now

Fine Cloth items that wouldn’t sell should now sell to Cloth merchants

Cheikho in the hunter camp now returns home after combat

Paladin Merchant no longer sells dispel and abolish magic

Bronze Bar added

Copper Bar trivializes at 25 Smelting

Rusty Bronze renamed Corroded Bronze

Mob Abilities

Snake Kick is no longer also an Interrupt

General Abilities

Skeleton Pet damage reduced by 25%

Added Conflagrate, Flames of Eth, Fires of Eth

Added Life Duct, Life Flume, and Exsanguinate

Various Abilities now have higher mana costs and cast times

Archer

Auto Fire now shares a cooldown with Auto Attack

Targeted Shot is now Instant Cast

Beastmaster

Rat Pet melee damage reduced by 25%

Druid

Added Flames of Eth-ehm, Fires of Eth-ehm, Embers of Eth-ehm

Elementalist

Fire and Water Pets now have 40% less HP

Air Pets now have 10% less HP

Rogue

Swift Strikes can no longer miss and is now self targeted

Shaman

Fixed an issue with several Shaman Slow spells that were not properly applying their debuff

Tech

Completely new Character Controller

Completely new model loading process

Ranged weapons now have models and are visible when you use ranged attacks

New faces for Human Male integrated

Positional update and Sphere of Influence fixes to support more players in close proximity

Added command /chatfontsize which configures the chat font size

Fix for using /place <object> with an item in the cursor

Follow-up fix for cross-zone GM summons, actually fixed this time

Corpse model loading is now rate limited, to prioritize other loading entities first when there are many corpses around

Support for teleport volume sound

Improved group pet frame UI functionality. Added support for multiple pet frames, and auto-layout

Code architecture improvements

Fixed some issues with party invite / rejection logic and UI

Fixed some issues with party frames when members are in different zones

Added resizable chat window functionality

Added better support for user settings with dropdown UIs

Added right-click option to reset a single UI element

Fixed an issue with the chat window in large resolutions

Fixes

Bards can skillup their music skills again

Pet AI won’t error out if its master is missing

Fix targeting issue on charm dropping

Fix charm pet aggro on charm fade

NPC AI awareness of buff overwrites, will not attempt to cast a buff that will not stick

Zoning in while pet is already summoned no longer breaks UI

Can no longer bug mobs on corners

Party fixes

Fix party frames for players in other zones not showing player name

Corpses should no longer clog up the model loading pipeline

Teleport sound triggering adjustments

Changes

Skill gain rates adjusted

Tradeskill success chance rates adjusted

Trivial combines will let you know they are trivial

Add a cooldown between melee auto attacks and ranged auto attacks

More advanced pet bars, auto arranging group UI with pet bars, UI support for multiple pets

Add ability name to cast bar

Client saving optimizations

Music states for better audio immersion

In Closing

Last but not least:

We’ve had the pleasure of adding another member to the team again this month!

Brandon (“First” in Discord/game) will be supporting us on the design side of the house. First’s contributions during Friends & Family testing and subsequent discussions we had on topics like worldbuilding, lore, and design in general, made it a no brainer to ask if he’d be interested in working with us.

We’ll get a bio up for him on the Team page soon.

~~~

Obviously, we’re going to be very focused on preparing for the stress test at the end of the month.

You can follow that progress via our new Twitch category and the VODs we post on YouTube.

Join the Discord and Mailing List if you haven’t already.

~~~

A massive thanks for being a part of the community!
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

I plan on playing it then, but I may be away from my computer then. I hope to try it out, it was a pass-time of mine to hop on to older MMOs far after the height of their popularity and play around with them. Would be nice to finally be apart of the birth of a game rather than the death...
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I'm downloading the client now
Public Stress Test This Weekend
April 28th - 29th (Fri & Sat)

This will consist of two 4-hour sessions (one each day), with the possibility for them to run longer than 4-hours if conditions allow.

Our test times this weekend will be:

Friday, April 28th, 9pm-1am EDT -- (3am-7am CEST)
Saturday, April 29th, 1pm-5pm EDT -- (7pm-11pm CEST)

As noted, may extend testing this weekend based on conditions we’re seeing during each test. Keep an eye on our Discord for more info as we go.

The focus of these two sessions is Technical Stability at Scale.

This includes everything from download and installation, through in-game/network/server performance.

Data derived from this test will enable future tests that focus on gameplay in general or other specific facets of the game.

This stress test allows us to gauge where we're at in development and plan for future sessions.
Registration link: https://account.monstersandmemories.com/
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Server goes up in one minute. Feel free to PM me if anyone wants to meet up in game.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Okay, I downloaded on a whim. On which server are we playing?
EDIT: 3, apparently.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Game was crazy laggy and couldn't get much done. It improved as the night went on, but I've had my fill for tonight. I'll be on again tomorrow for the second test. Here's a screenshot dump of random stuff I saw.

WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I rolled an Archer to play with @Kalarion on server 1 for a little bit. Night is almost totally dark, which is pretty neat. I'm not sure I understand ranged weapons. I had a 'quick shot' ability but I didn't see a way to autoattack with my bow. I didn't have energy to play for very long but it certainly seemed less laggy than yesterday, although the client itself had slowdowns at times, including one instance that cost me my life. :mad:
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

If archery works like it did in EQ, there is no auto-attack for ranged attacks. EQ didn't have auto-attack archery until the Shadows of Luclin expansion, and then only for Rangers, through an Advanced Ability. So basically, every ranged attack is treated just like any other spell/skill - one press, one activation, press again once the ranged attack cooldown is complete.

In practice it would mean archery is mainly used for pulling mobs. Although having two range-attack focused classes in the game makes me think Archer and Ranger might get the ability to auto-attack with archery at some point (for archers especially, since a quick glance at the skills sold seemed to show all their special attacks were arrow-based).
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

EQ understood that ranger did not mean archer. Sadly lost on many smoothbrains today!
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

I have to say that one of the game's "core tenets" (according to their website) does not sit very well with me. Keeping basic skill mechanics intentionally vague is counter-productive to good play imo. Especially as regards, say, skill effects, all this does is encourage players to look for ways to datamine, which in turn encourages a "cheating" mindset (where you're playing the game on a technical/meta level, rather than a fundamental/personal level). Considering one of their other core tenets, a focus on single-group play, is hurt badly by a technical play mindset, I don't think very basic fundamental mechanics (such as the effects of the skills you cast) should be hidden. Note that I'm not talking about exact numbers here (so I wouldn't want to see "X skill does Y damage with Z% chance to proc an effect), just effects. Stuff that the player couldn't reasonably be expected to know "in-world" (for instance, monster ability specifics, raw stats for anyone other than the player etc) by all means keep hidden (or gated behind skills or what have you).

A personal in-game example: Monks start the game with a combat skill, Round Kick, which gives an extra attack that has bonus damage. At level 2, they get another combat skill, Celestial Strike, which shares a timer with Round Kick. Decision time! So far, so good. The problem is that the mechanics of Celestial Strike are completely obscured. Through extensive use I figured out it does less damage per use than Round Kick, grants some kind of buff, and has a very small chance to proc a tiny self-heal. But none of this was apparent from the skill itself, and I have so many questions I'm not sure it's worth ever picking over Round Kick. What does the buff do? Does the self-heal proc on any attack with the buff up, or only when the skill is used? These are questions that could (and should, imo) be answered by reasonable skill explanations, ideally available from your skillbook or from the ability scroll you buy from the skill vendor.

So, in game right now I have:

Celestial Strike. Nothing else, just the name and a buff icon popping up when I use it.

What I would like is something like (assume here that the buff is, say, a haste):

Celestial Strike
General Attack Skill (or some other designator that would show it shares its cooldown with other attack skills)
Attacks target
Grants haste for X seconds (timer optional, so maybe it just says, "Grants haste")
Chance to heal on use

What I don't want, and am not asking for, is:
Celestial Strike
General Attack Skill
Attacks target for damage based on your level, and your Hand-to-Hand and Offense skills.
Grants 10% haste for 12 seconds.
15% chance to heal for an amount based on your level on skill use.

In this specific case I was able to determine most of Celestial Strike's mechanics on my own (barring the buff effect, which really upset me; I hate having buffs and no clue what they do). But I think it's generally illustrative. Of course, the game isn't even in Alpha, so maybe something is already in the works. I certainly hope so. There's no Allakhazam for this game, and there likely won't be simply due to the small player-base they're aiming for.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 30th, 2023, 18:27
EQ understood that ranger did not mean archer. Sadly lost on many smoothbrains today!
Yes, but in this case there's an actual Archer class (which was what @WhiteShark rolled), separate from the Ranger. MnM's Ranger seems very very close to EQ's mechanically, btw - fighter/druid hybrid focused on movement speed control and survival-type buffs.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Kalarion wrote: April 30th, 2023, 19:07
What I would like is something like (assume here that the buff is, say, a haste):

Celestial Strike
General Attack Skill (or some other designator that would show it shares its cooldown with other attack skills)
Attacks target
Grants haste for X seconds (timer optional, so maybe it just says, "Grants haste")
Chance to heal on use

What I don't want, and am not asking for, is:
Celestial Strike
General Attack Skill
Attacks target for damage based on your level, and your Hand-to-Hand and Offense skills.
Grants 10% haste for 12 seconds.
15% chance to heal for an amount based on your level on skill use.
I don't really get the point of hiding any of your skill information. Your version 1 would still leave me somewhat annoyed were I trying to figure out which ability I ought use. Sure, hide monster information, but should a character of a given class not know in detail his own abilities?
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Yeah, they understood that ranger meant all the tanking power of a druid with all the casting power of a warrior.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Tweed wrote: May 1st, 2023, 23:06
Yeah, they understood that ranger meant all the tanking power of a druid with all the casting power of a warrior.
This is the most accurate description of the EQ ranger I've ever heard. Absolute joke of a class for the first three years of the game.

M&M seems to be going a different direction with the class, or rather, they seem to be going in every direction in the class and I don't think they know what to do with it. They seem to want something similar to the EQ ranger with it being a warrior/druid hybrid, but they've also talked about giving it a pet, which is already covered by the beast master class. They've also said they might merge the archer class into the ranger if they can't make archers fun or interesting enough on their own.