We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

List of woke and non-woke role-playing games

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 18:44
No idea how you can put DOS1/DOS2 at the same level as disco communism
yeah, DOS is way worse
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Rand wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 18:47
twig wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 15:49
But I don't recommend buying old games
And that's the only part of this sentence that needs being said.
One exception: Indie devs. The real ones. They make $$$ from every purchase.
The companies paid everyone for old games long ago. You aren't paying the makers. You may not even be paying the original producers.
Why do they deserve the money? Because they bought contracts?
This ain't finance. Fuck off.
Good example is the old fuck Vogel. If you like his games you should buy them, all purchases go directly to him.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Emphyrio wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 18:49
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 18:44
No idea how you can put DOS1/DOS2 at the same level as disco communism
yeah, DOS is way worse
Absolutely fake news.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Rand wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 18:40
Anon wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 17:51
Starfield isn't fixed by mods afaik, so it's not this obvious.
Starfield could maybe be fixed by mods.
This was discussed in the Creation Engine Mod community.
Requires massive work on the voice lines equal at least to original VA workload. Still boring stupid quests... so no modder interest in that.
The non interactable NPCs are a question. Best you can seem to do is de-brown them somewhat.
But the game is shit, so who's going to bother?
Indeed. Modders have completely given up on that one. Sure it COULD be de-pozzed, but if you're still left with a shit game at the end of it then what's the point. May as well just focus those efforts on better ones.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Hooold the fucking phone, only in a polish universe is Wrathfinder more pozzed than BG3, this list is fucking bogus and to be disregarded.

-Humbaba
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Humbaba wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 19:51
Hooold the fucking phone, only in a polish universe is Wrathfinder more pozzed than BG3, this list is fucking bogus and to be disregarded.

-Humbaba
Read the weird rating scale again
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 19:56
Read the weird rating scale again
Nomeclature is fucking retarded and Wrathfinder isn't pozzed to begin with, point still stands.

-Humbaba
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

if we had a stupidity scale from 1 to 10 , humbaba would be 100
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Humbaba wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 19:57
Wrathfinder isn't pozzed to begin with
Of all of the stupid things you have said, this is the absolute stupidist.
BobT

Post by BobT »

Kalarion wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 15:19
BobT wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 03:17
Thankyou for this. I like how you also provided examples and not just a subjective verdict. That's a lot of work.

Also add a "Fixed by mods" column, maybe? So people know that they can pirate and easily fix a game to make it palatable enough (if it's something they generally enjoy, otherwise), or just outright avoid.
Disagreed. I think it's a given that people are thinking, "mods will fix it" for games that have potential, while being paired with shit/woke content. Reference things like every Beth game ever and BG3. I don't think reminding all readers that they can look for mod content is useful.
It's a given they'll hope they "will", but CAN they? It's not always possible or just has been done. I think it's ok to note where it's 'confirmed' that mods HAVE fixed things, and how much (some, most all). Like this thread: viewtopic.php?t=1313-pronoun-removal

That way people can just ignore games that haven't been fixed (or judge whether it's "enough"), and play the ones that have been cured.
It's still a good list without, just some of the stuff on that list is salvageable via mods, others not.

twig wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 15:49
BobT wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 13:02
How about 2008 being a divider? The modern "woke" stuff really ramped up around then.
The increased liberal hypocrisy coincides more with Obama's second term, which is 2012. This is when OWS was derailed by infecting it with identity politics. You can see a lot of posters speaking positively about Occupy even while they're right-wing. This is because many of the New Right used to be liberals who became disgusted with the establishment due to GG, liberal idpol, overreaction to Trump and so on. Or it's simply part of their populist, anti-establishment views.

Then games containing wokeness informed by an anti-GG sentiment got released after or in 2015. You can see that Witcher 3 was a standard lib game because development started prior to GG. Only after that games got worse.

What was stated plainly in the Codex thread but not here is that I'm specifically not including games prior to the woke invasion of our hobby. You can see (we discussed it with @Roguey) how Fallout 2 has a typical story of 'race relations' inspired faction conflict copy-pasted all over (Slags, Gecko, Broken Hills, Vault 15 squatters, Vault 13). But it predates the time when virtue signaling and preaching became a standard practice. Liberals were treated as slightly crazy but harmless, or even right about many things.

But I don't recommend buying old games from studios that have since became woke. They won't cut off the cancerous menace, and any money sent their way promotes further hateful, divisive, bourgeois propaganda.
Fully agreed, especially on the differences between historical stuff and "modern virtue signalling".
Also the last bit (old games from now woke studios) can be mitigated via :pirate: at least.

twig wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 16:44
I actively don't support that kind of absolutist approach. Gamers may still enjoy games with small amounts of wokeness. Then it's debatable as to whether some games are woke at all (e.g. my personal rating of 'none' for Disco Elysium), and it's completely arbitary saying that anti-woke gamers wouldn't enjoy Space Wreck which has instances of wokeness so brief and specific that you can enumerate them in a single sentence.

Also I was able to enjoy some woke games such as the non-RPG Horizon Zero Dawn. You can say that it has a pro-"noble savage" and anti-male sentiment, but it wasn't too badly shoved into the player's face or otherwise too blatant, more like some distant element of worldbuilding where you've even had a few counterexamples. Either way it's a game you can pirate and enjoy for its unique combat mechanics and the innovative sci-fi main plot while accepting that the views of game's creators are their own and that world design is purely a work of fiction. But you simply couldn't play a game with blatant forced display of wokeness (such as the recent flop slop Forspoken) with that attitude. So there's a difference. As such I advise you to enjoy games in a way that involves some compromise.
Exactly! And that's why I love how your list has the information & justifications on just how much, so people can decide for themselves how much they wish to tolerate. I just meant for which table to include them in (woke vs non woke). As any amount of wokeness is "woke", but the actual "ranking" and justification columns you have clarify just how much. A "Sort" then gives a lovely list of what to ignore or consider.
Last edited by BobT on February 22nd, 2024, 20:16, edited 3 times in total.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Arcanum goat sex.
asf wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 19:59
if we had a stupidity scale from 1 to 10 , humbaba would be 100
asfag
Acrux wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:00
Of all of the stupid things you have said, this is the absolute stupidist.
Arcanum goat sex.

-Humbaba
Rand

Post by Rand »

Humbaba wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 19:57
Wrathfinder isn't pozzed to begin with
Wat?
Has dykes and tranny characters in the first hour.
You okay?
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Rand wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:06
Wat?
You okay?
Rand is upset because Tranevia gave him a boner and he couldn't bring himself to kill her in the final chapter.

-Humbaba
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Humbaba wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:06
Arcanum goat sex.
Let me get this straight: Your contention is that only one game can have degeneracy? Arcanum containing an instance of that does not preclude WOTR from being pozzed from the first map to the end.
BobT

Post by BobT »

If this thread isn't stickied, it should be.
(Capitalise the title too, thx).
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Acrux wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:08
Let me get this straight: Your contention is that only one game can have degeneracy? Arcanum containing an instance of that does not preclude WOTR from being pozzed from the first map to the end.
My contention is that your perception of what is pozzed and what isn't is severely flawed since you wilfully ignore bestiality in one of your most favorite games of all time. There's no bestiality in Wrathfinder for instance.

-Humbaba
Rand

Post by Rand »

Humbaba wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:07
Wat?
You okay?
Rand is upset because Tranevia gave him a boner and he couldn't bring himself to kill her in the final chapter.

-Humbaba
Dude, I quit at the moment of the orc paladin dyke and her MtF tranny boyfriend/lesbo reveal after the prologue garbage.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Humbaba wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:12
Acrux wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:08
My contention is that your perception of what is pozzed and what isn't is severely flawed since you wilfully ignore bestiality in one of your most favorite games of all time. There's no bestiality in Wrathfinder for instance.
You are a fucking moron.

1) No I didn't willfully ignore it. I just said it's degenerate.
2) Arcanum is NOT one of my favorite games of all time.

Wait, I just remembered that I'm violating my "don't talk to Humbaba" rule.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Rand wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:13
Dude, I quit at the moment of the orc paladin dyke and her MtF tranny boyfriend/lesbo reveal after the prologue garbage.
A wilfully ignorant atheist IMAGINE MY SHAWK.

Acrux wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:14
You are a fucking moron.

1) No I didn't willfully ignore it. I just said it's degenerate.
2) Arcanum is NOT one of my favorite games of all time.

Wait, I just remembered that I'm violating my "don't talk to Humbaba" rule.
Disavowing your favorite gaym is akin to admitting defeat so I rest my case.

rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

in the first hour.
It's the only game I'm aware of that has a Time to Tranny of 0.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:21
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Humbaba wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:22
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:21
Reported for violation of Rule 1.
RPGHQ's(hereafter referred to as 'HQ') Rules:

Please be aware that HQ is not a social media platform. Therefore:
Refrain from sharing personal details, including links to personal social media accounts or self-portraits (selfies).
twig
The Only Good Commie

Post by twig »

Oyster Sauce wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 18:34
@twig what types of RPg Games do you want on this list? I notice there are no MMOs or JRPGs.
You can list weeb titles. If there's more than the most notable ones, there can be a separate table next to this one. Same with non-RPGs as their own category (unless it's against the rules, on the 'dex Crispy disallowed non-RPGs).
BobT wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:03
Also the last bit (old games from now woke studios) can be mitigated via :pirate: at least.
The colors in the verdict column signify whether to avoid paying for the game in all cases, and whether to avoid paying and playing it. It's in the legend above the table.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Acrux wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:23
Reported for violation of Rule 1.
Don't upload your selfies if you don't want us to find em, Tranux.

-Humbaba
Rand

Post by Rand »

Humbaba wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:17
wilfully ignorant atheist
Oh, I'm MUCH worse than that. I read most of the various gods' books and not only am I glad they don't exist, because they're utterly monstrous, but if they did exist, the only moral thing to do would be to oppose them.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

Mount and Blade Bannerlord is also pretty woke free and has a turkish developer Taleworlds.
twig
The Only Good Commie

Post by twig »

Vaako wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:42
Mount and Blade Bannerlord is also pretty woke free and has a turkish developer Taleworlds.
List examples and/or proof— this applies to everyone else as well.
Last edited by twig on February 22nd, 2024, 20:56, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

twig wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:49
Vaako wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:42
List examples and/or proof— this applies to everyone else as well.
That's asking to prove a negative, no?
AFAIK the original M&B didn't even have any wimminz warriors. Didn't play Bannerlord so I can't say.
twig
The Only Good Commie

Post by twig »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 22nd, 2024, 20:51
That's asking to prove a negative, no?
Missed the word "free" in Vaako's post.

But it could still use some high-level description to go into the table.