We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Manor Lords - Early Access out now

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Manor Lords - Early Access out now

Post by Oyster Sauce »

One part comfy city builder, one part Total War battles. Raise levies to defend your towns and expand territory, but every man you lose in battle is one less laborer or tradesman in times of peace.

Inspired by the art and architecture of late 14th century Franconia, Manor Lords prioritizes historical accuracy wherever possible, using it to inform gameplay mechanics and visuals alike. Common medieval tropes are avoided in favor of historical accuracy, in order to make the world feel more authentic, colorful, and believable.
Yours is but a small parcel of land in a vast territory, and the competing ambitions between you and neighboring lords will inevitably lead to conflict. Lead your people into battle, not as expendable units to be easily replenished, but as your beloved loyal subjects where every death is a cost worth considering.
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on April 26th, 2024, 15:58, edited 3 times in total.

Tags:
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

This is one of those things that feels too good to be true and extremely ambitious in scope. From my cursory research it looks like a first time indie developer too.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Vergil wrote: December 31st, 2023, 05:25
This is one of those things that feels too good to be true and extremely ambitious in scope. From my cursory research it looks like a first time indie developer too.
I'm choosing to have faith this time. It's looking like a dream game for me even if it's just ok.

Post by 1998 »

Yeah and it's pretty much a solo project with some feelance contribution. Seems way too ambitious for that.

April will be anyway only EA launch.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Oyster Sauce wrote: December 31st, 2023, 05:31
I'm choosing to have faith this time. It's looking like a dream game for me even if it's just ok.
I haven't had faith in a game based on trailers and promises since 2015.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I remember this had a demo during one of the Steam events. It seemed okay, but nothing to get overly excited about. It reminded me of Banished but with military (a good thing, imo). There was some kind of finickyness with building zones or something like that I didn't care for, from what I remember.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Acrux wrote: December 31st, 2023, 06:33
It reminded me of Banished
A shame the developers gave up on that game. I've read Farthest Frontier is a worthy successor.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Nemesis wrote: December 31st, 2023, 15:21
A shame the developers gave up on that game. I've read Farthest Frontier is a worthy successor.
Let me know when they fire this designer who responded to a question asking about churches by asking if they'd be satisfied by the inclusion of mosques & temples
https://forums.crateentertainment.com/t ... /116730/32
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Goes into early access on April 26th on PC/Game Pass. Game Pass has EA games? Grim.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit. Please don't be shit.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Found out this is the #1 wishlisted game on Steam and now I don't want it anymore
Cipher

Post by Cipher »

So far so good. Its not perfect but, at least it is the game it was advertised as.

Hopefully, it doesn't get pozzed on the road to release like certain other game that wasn't pozzed on EA and then got pozzed to hell and back on release from a certain woke studio from Belgium.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 13th, 2024, 07:26
rusty_shackleford wrote: January 1st, 2024, 16:46
Nemesis wrote: December 31st, 2023, 15:21
Let me know when they fire this designer who responded to a question asking about churches by asking if they'd be satisfied by the inclusion of mosques & temples
It seemingly has churches in the pre-release build.
Rusty, that forum post has nothing to do with Manor Lords or even its developer. Stop tricking poor, easily-influenced fellows such as @gerey.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 13th, 2024, 09:04
rusty_shackleford wrote: April 13th, 2024, 07:26
rusty_shackleford wrote: January 1st, 2024, 16:46

It seemingly has churches in the pre-release build.
Rusty, that forum post has nothing to do with Manor Lords or even its developer. Stop tricking poor, easily-influenced fellows such as @gerey.
Oh, my bad. I deleted the post. Completely forgot it was about a similar title because it's in the manor lords thread.

Sorry @gerey, enjoy your game and stuff. Doesn't seem pozzed.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on April 13th, 2024, 09:18, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Gameplay:

Spends a bunch of time in his (two, so far) Manor Lords videos just zooming in and looking at the details of areas. One of the few people on yewtoob I'm aware of that bothers to read descriptions & tooltips, let alone pay attention to ambient details.
They put an impressive amount of work into something most people won't notice.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

What I saw from Worth A Buy is even a better successor to Medieval Total War than Medieval 2.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Look at this menu. This is a menu designed by somebody who plays video games. We're off to a good start here.

Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

Played this game for about an hour or so. First impressions are very good. Game has more depth than what I expected, everything looks authentic and there's (to my knowledge) zero pozz. I'll say it's easy to get into a death spiral in the very early game if you don't use your initial cash to set up an export route ASAP. Also annoying how builders love bulding 5 things at the same time instead of focusing on one. Minor pet peeves aside, the game seems to be amazing and worth the hype.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

It lacks Ostriv's gendered work roles, which is a shame. In Ostriv, you'd send women to sell goods in market stalls or down to the river for reed gathering, while in Manor Lords they're erecting churches and working in mines. (Edit: I don't think they're mining actually). Your people in ML seem to be less simulated(?). I don't even know if they age or have children.

Made it to my first winter.

Last edited by Oyster Sauce on April 26th, 2024, 19:01, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Oyster Sauce wrote: Yesterday, 18:49
It lacks Ostriv's gendered work roles, which is a shame. In Ostriv, you'd send women to sell goods in market stalls or down to the river for reed gathering, while in Manor Lords they're erecting churches and working in mines. Your people in ML seem to be less simulated(?). I don't even know if they age or have children.
Send feedback to the developer, he's been very responsive in changes. He even changed the material of the tiles used on roofs because someone pointed out it wasn't historically accurate.
Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer »

rusty_shackleford wrote: Yesterday, 18:55
It lacks Ostriv's gendered work roles, which is a shame. In Ostriv, you'd send women to sell goods in market stalls or down to the river for reed gathering, while in Manor Lords they're erecting churches and working in mines. Your people in ML seem to be less simulated(?). I don't even know if they age or have children.
Send feedback to the developer, he's been very responsive in changes. He even changed the material of the tiles used on roofs because someone pointed out it wasn't historically accurate.
Agreed - and considering how historically accurate the game is and will develop into, I'd say there is a good chance we get gendered work roles as suggested, since that was how it was. And, since it is set in central Europe, chanses are we won't see neither mosques or negroes... :D
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

rusty_shackleford wrote: Yesterday, 18:55
On second thought, I'm pretty sure I'm wrong. I saw this and assumed it meant Cristina was the miner, but it's referring to the family as a whole. You assign entire families to specific workplaces, so I guess if the husband is a miner that means the wife will just idle and can't do an unrelated job like foraging.

They are skilled laborers if they're left to construction though.

Edit edit edit:
Last edited by Oyster Sauce on April 27th, 2024, 00:54, edited 2 times in total.
Eyestabber
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Eyestabber »

Finished my first city in "rise to prosperity" mode. The game urgently needs a building finder tool. It's a pain in the ass to search for a given station to stop/resume production, especially since you need to move some of them around.

EDIT: it also needs to allow you to select multiple homes at the same time since you need so many chicken coops.
Last edited by Eyestabber on April 26th, 2024, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
Oldtimer

Post by Oldtimer »

Eyestabber wrote: Yesterday, 22:28
Finished my first city in "rise to prosperity" mode. The game urgently needs a building finder tool. It's a pain in the ass to search for a given station to stop/resume production, especially since you need to move some of them around.
Well done - I have yet to sit down and get a good starting position... And I agree that a search function for a given building is a must.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Is the early access worth the bucks?
Cogemeister

Post by Cogemeister »

Looks like an interesting game. I really like Age of Empires (yes even 4) so as long as this game isn’t pozzed I’ll probably end up getting it.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

it's on gog if you catch my meaning
Anon

Post by Anon »

krokodil wrote: Today, 01:49
it's on gog if you catch my meaning
Indeed, but I don't mind paying for the game if the developer truly deserves it