Do you visit any gaming-related websites?

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

• Forums: here, the old place, and zzzchan. I've tried browsing Japanese message boards but they don't usually talk about games I care about. There was one really funny thread I remember where some middle-aged Jap was complaining that an FPS on easy was too hard and the other posters were politely telling him to git gud. I used to post on the Penny Arcade forums a loooooong time ago.
  • News: nowhere, really. Most new games are trash, and even when they're good it still takes a long time after release for them to reach a finished state, so I don't bother keeping up. I glanced at Niche Gamer last night out of boredom; it looked sincere and Japanese-game focused. I used to browse a Japanese DRPG blog at work but I got tired of the author's inclination to rate every single DRPG positively regardless of quality. He was like a Japanese Fluent.
  • Tweaks and Mods: first place I check before starting a new PC game is PCGamingWiki. Then I check the available mods: Nexus, ModDB, GameBanana, and now Non-Newtonian Mods.
  • Guides and Info: steam guides/forums, GameFAQs, and sometimes when I'm trying to look up something specific I find somebody has already asked the same question on Reddit. I don't read walkthroughs, but I do like to understand the mechanics of the game.
  • Piracy: do we talk about that here?
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

WhiteShark wrote: March 12th, 2023, 14:06
Piracy: do we talk about that here?
Yes.

Just don't link to pirated content, which I believe may be a type of copyright law infringement(?)
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 12th, 2023, 14:33
Just don't link to pirated content, which I believe may be a type of copyright law infringement(?)
To my knowledge only the uploader of said content is actually in violation of the law, I'm no lawyer.

Anyway, for PC games I visit cs.rin.ru and gog-games, and for console games, it depends. Earlier console games can be found easily just about anywhere and I already have full sets downloaded for most early consoles. Later console games are a little trickier. I had some sources but they get taken down and change locations sometimes and I haven't looked in a while.
cpmartins

Post by cpmartins »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 12th, 2023, 13:04
Other than the HQ of course :eyebrows:

The only site I visit is DSOGaming, which has an unrestricted comment section policy.
8chan and the Dex, still plenty of good people there to talk to. 4chan is conquered territory now, absolutely worthless since gamergate.
aeternalis

Post by aeternalis »

I visit the other place from time to time under an incredibly obvious alt account. I also chat about games in various chatrooms, and sometimes look up game things on wikis and so forth. I don't do forum posting or website commenting much anymore, other than here.
aeternalis

Post by aeternalis »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 14th, 2023, 15:33
aeternalis wrote: March 14th, 2023, 15:31
the other place
:lol:
You can just say the name
Its True Name died when they killed the Shoutbox. Now it is but a shell of its former self. ;)
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

cpmartins wrote: March 14th, 2023, 15:27

The only site I visit is DSOGaming, which has an unrestricted comment section policy.
8chan and the Dex, still plenty of good people there to talk to. 4chan is conquered territory now, absolutely worthless since gamergate.
Mark the cake kike's 8chan? Disgusting. Consider zzzchan instead
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

I get all my gaming news from IGN & Funko Pop Advertisements.
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

GhostCow wrote: March 14th, 2023, 17:11

Is that now the place to be? I mostly just gave up using imageboards after 8chan died. Any other boards worth considering or nah? Seems anon.cafe is good.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Rigwort wrote: March 24th, 2023, 08:02
GhostCow wrote: March 14th, 2023, 17:11

Is that now the place to be? I mostly just gave up using imageboards after 8chan died. Any other boards worth considering or nah? Seems anon.cafe is good.
I also enjoy smugloli.net