We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Can you design better companions than a CRPG dev?

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Nammu Archag

Post by Nammu Archag »

Really want to contribute to this thread but its hard to take it seriously after a red7 post
Element

Post by Element »

ArcaneLurker wrote: February 7th, 2024, 18:29

Basically, whilst many games take a variety of stereotypes which are used within the framing of the devs own biases, which tend to be deluded and myopic now, I would want to use the characters as a canvas to present more detailed aspects of my own worldview. This can't be done without accurately showing each side or characteristic for what they are, and exploring the depth of the conflict or mutually exclusive positions.
But I'd want a way to connect with people I am not normally able to connect with and point out flaws in their thinking by confronting them with hypothetical situations that they can't dismiss...
Whilst most games use this as a way to pander, I would simply present them in a way I see fitting. The aim would not be to present an obvious middle-finger or to troll but to help others understand a perspective they clearly refuse to, beyond that, I would try to make any conclusions or morals based on reality.
Having the characters of vastly different worldviews be at each other's throats would be an interesting setup in a party based rpg
Nooneatall

Post by Nooneatall »

Nammu Archag wrote: February 8th, 2024, 20:45
Really want to contribute to this thread but its hard to take it seriously after a red7 post
That guy is off his nut.
Red7

Post by Red7 »

Nammu Archag wrote: February 8th, 2024, 20:45
dont be shamed of catfemboy follower u had in mind
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

So there's a reliable guy in your party that goes by Stick. He's pretty good in melee combat and running from his past. There's layers there and if you do his side quests you learn that stick is actually his last name.

The final reward for maximum relationship status is to learn his first name, which is Stat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Wolgraff from Divinity Original Sin remains one of my favorite companions in any RPG tbh.
He has very little verbal communication due to him being mute.

Being told to write a mute character would be a death sentence to an average video game writer now.
BobT

Post by BobT »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 10th, 2024, 16:15
Wolgraff from Divinity Original Sin remains one of my favorite companions in any RPG tbh.
He has very little verbal communication due to him being mute.

Being told to write a mute character would be a death sentence to an average video game writer now.
They'd probably communicate through overly flamboyant gestures and by morse code hammered out through the plaps while practising sodomy.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

J1M wrote: February 10th, 2024, 15:33
So there's a reliable guy in your party that goes by Stick. He's pretty good in melee combat and running from his past. There's layers there and if you do his side quests you learn that stick is actually his last name.

The final reward for maximum relationship status is to learn his first name, which is Stat.
I thought his first name would be Otis.