We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Archaelund

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
The_Mask

Archaelund

Post by The_Mask »

AA title I am interested in. Archaelund. Will post any major updates of it, here.

Development Update #7
New magic system and other features, internal-testing gameplay video
Magic is here!

Archaelund's Magic System has been functional for several months, but in the last weeks we have nearly finished the implementation of the spells that will be included in the Early Access release, as well as some other key features such as spell trainers.

Careers grant access to disciplines, which a character improves to a certain rank in order to learn new spells. A strong spellcasting career such as Apprentice or Initiate can learn several disciplines, and on each new level gained the player has to decide which of them to improve, thus accessing new spells, but also being more efficient at casting spells of that discipline. A spellcaster can focus on one discipline to specialize, or raise ranks in different disciplines, to become more versatile. Early Access will include 9 disciplines with around 45 spells in total (up to rank III for now), and eventually the full system will include much more.

Attack spells are not only about damage: you can mesmerize enemies, put them to sleep, charm them, paralyze them... and of course, spellcasting enemies can do the same to you! And of course not all spells are offensive, and some spells can be cast out of combat for multiple purposes.

Internal Testing Video

We decided to share a few random gameplay clips from the Internal Testing since the trailer is already over a year old; please keep in mind it has not been edited nor "staged" as a trailer usually is, because that takes time, and also we cut it short and avoided dialogues or journal peeks to avoid spoiling too much, so this is really not capturing some of the most important aspects of the game. Still you can see the magic system in action, a complete battle and some exploration from the early areas.

Development progress

The latest testing has been very positive. Exploration, quests, combat, dialogues... all of it worked well, and the game is very stable. Archaelund is already a playable game, even if a short one until content is completed.

Even if there is still much work ahead, all the complex systems and the main elements of the game are finally in place and working. Our current target is releasing the Early Access in 4 to 6 months. We work hard to reward your patience with a marvellous game, which we can enjoy together for the years to come.

The_Mask's notes:

Steam page:
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Archaelund will release to Early Access on Monday. I was pretty excited about this, until I saw the roadmap that DavidBVal posted about an hour ago. It won't be leaving EA until 2026! :rage:
Development Roadmap
We present you the list of what is included in each planned "major" version of the Early Access, but there will be multiple "minor" updates that eventually implement all the listed features. Please understand that this plan is subject to change, both in the listed features and estimated dates.

Version 0.8
Estimated: April 2024

For the first months after EA release, the focus will be on improving existing game areas and consolidating gameplay, rather than adding new content. Priority will be given to fixing any reported bugs.

Visual Improvements & Immersion
Improved battle grid: less intrusive and better adapted to rough terrain.
Enhanced NPC animations and behavior, including talking animations and expressions.
More complex NPC AI behavior in real time, with daily schedules, interactions, and activities.
Revised and better synced sound effects.
Content
Two new minor dungeons added to the Peninsula, targeting levels 3-4.
Additional quests.
One new Companion.
Possible additional resolutions for existing quests.
Features
Quality of life: UI for browsing all spells, races, and talents (similar to the current Career browser).
Quality of life: selling stacks.
Improved combat AI, especially for spellcasters and specific talent use.
Gameplay Implementation
Skills revision: Several skills are unimplemented; others, like Meditation, need revision.
Crafting stage 1: Alchemy implementation.
Additional spells: Implementation of some spells that are currently listed but inactive.
Other
Improved game performance and loading times.
Version 0.9
Estimated: Q4 2024

Details for this version will be more precise after the release of the previous version. The focus is on content expansion and character advancement into mid-levels.

Content
Chapter 2 of the main quest.
Two new vast areas! Game world size triples compared to 0.8. Includes two new towns and various dungeons (ruins, caves, fortresses, lairs).
At least 20 new quests.
New companions.
Visual Improvements & Immersion
Unique customization of armors and clothing to fit the game's setting.
Replacement of some spell and talent icons with custom-made ones (replacing stock assets).
Gameplay Implementation
Level cap increase to 6 or 7.
New basic and advanced careers and talents.
Crafting stage 2 (details to follow).
Addition of Rank III spells and new disciplines.
Other
Localization.
Controller support.

Version 0.10
Estimated: Q3/Q4 2025

This version will be detailed further post the release of the previous version. It focuses on content expansion and advancing character levels to high levels. The goal is to implement all high-level content, including completing the main quest.

Content
Chapters 3 & 4 of the main quest (final chapter pending).
3-5 new areas, including at least 2 more towns and various unique locations.
Dozens of new quests.
New and unusual companions.
Gameplay Implementation
Level cap increase to 12+.
Full implementation of advanced careers.
Crafting stage 3 (details to follow).
Addition of Rank IV and V spells.

Version 1.0
Estimated Q2 2026.

This version marks the game's completion, with the final chapter of the main quest and additional high-end content. Details will be provided at a future date. Post-release, the intention is to continue enhancing the game with more content, expanded mechanics, and other improvements.
Last edited by Acrux on January 5th, 2024, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1998 »

Not surprised, but who is even buying into that EA? Couldn't imagine paying for some alpha version that's very likely never getting released.
Mortmal

Post by Mortmal »

It would be a day one purchase if it were finished, as everything seems okay, and he has the right ideas. But right now, I am not in the mood to pay to be a beta tester; it will just waste the whole experience for me. Let's hope it gets released in a few years.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

It's like a burger, with nothing in it. A sort of nothingburger if you will.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

how many copies did you guys buy
Rand

Post by Rand »

Why do people continue to try to make women warriors? Especially in a hierarchy like with soldiers or military government officials.
Men do not respect women in those roles (for good reason) and no women would seek those roles anyway. No normal one, anyway. (And the ones that would, would be unsuited and disqualified, anyway.)
Last edited by Rand on January 8th, 2024, 17:27, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Mondain wrote: January 8th, 2024, 17:29
Haha he bought it
Me? Fuck, no. I pulled that image from the Steam page.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

I played it a little last night. It's fun, I got my ass kicked by the fish-dogs repeatedly.

It could use keybinds for turning left/right. Combat is deadly on Old School, especially at the beginning, when you have no/shit armor and the fishies can 2-shot your warriors.

It looks good, and it made me feel like I was back on the beach in Wizardry 8. More to follow.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

I've got about 17 hours in now. I'm level 2 :D It's because I'm slow and plodding, and also there aren't any safe fast travel options in the game right now. Walking around the map is a significant time investment.

Impressions so far:

PROS
- exploration already feels really good. The map gets filled in as you explore ala Wizardry 8, MnM 6-9 etc.
- level ups are a huge deal. Classes get impactful special abilities every level, and boosts to all their combat stats (more for fighters etc, standard fare).
- magic is meaningful. As far as strictly combat-related spells go, it seems to be nailing that EQ/Exile feel so far. Spells are powerful, mana is dear, learning new spells is expensive as fuck. Conjuration discipline actually works like Mages in EQ, complete with being able to conjure temporary weapons, armor and items (really fucking good ones, at high level), and summon pets to follow you around as an extra party member.
- skills are meaningful. Skill points are extremely limited, and they're used in a lot of checks. Improving them works like perk ticks in Fallout 1/2, where you get a huge bonus to 1 or 2 skills each level, depending on your INT.
- stats are meaningful. 6 in a stat makes a difference. 8 in a stat makes you a monster in that stat's governed area, but you pay for it, heavily. Stat gains are very rare (I haven't seen any yet).
- first-person exploration and isometric, grid-based combat is heavan.

CONS
- janky as fuck overall. Lots of small bugs, a couple of which are session-killing. Nothing crazy, but this is definitely EA/Alpha-level stuff right now.
- 4-man party. Absolute shit design decision. 5 should have been the minimum. I'd have preferred 6.
- UI/Inventory/Shop interface are a mess. They function once you figure it out, but not well.
- Combat map is really rough. Elevation and pathfinding aren't communicated clearly at all. Movement doesn't always make sense. objects block your ability to click-move. I'm sure this is a priority for DavidBVal and team, and it damn well needs to be. It needs it.
- Travel isn't snappy. I like strolling around, poking into every nook and cranny. I don't like spending several minutes of RL time backtracking/going to town. And you'll be doing it a lot, because the Inn is by far the best way to recuperate, and there's only one (so far).
- Character graphics aren't that great yet. Hopefully this improves with time.

I'll post more as I go.
Dorateen
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dorateen »

Also add to the CONS

-no Dwarves

But other than that, I really appreciate the developer's goals. Hope he achieves much success with the game's release.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

kalarion claims this is good, but did not leave a positive review on steam
curious
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

"Cocainum", "Arcanum", "Archaelund". All reminds me of this clip.

WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Does speedhack work to mitigate the travel woes?
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

OK, I've basically finished the EA content so far. There are a couple challenge fights left for me and possibly one more dungeon:
- Geldryn Raider parties (I can kill 3 at a time, but there are a couple fights with 4-5)
- the Stone Sentinel
- the Yaksa scouting party
- possibly Nosom's bandits
- possibly the Devil's Horn lighthouse

I think I'd need to start over with a much more optimized party to beat these, unless I could find a way to cheese it.

Character Development - has a sort of WHFRP vibe, with classes as careers. About 3/4 of the Basic careers are in, and Advanced careers are planned as well.
- Level ups are a big deal. XP comes dear, the majority from quest completion (combat is still a good source, just not the majority).
- You get automatic advancement to basic combat stats (weapon skills, HP/WP etc).
- Each career gets either its own unique talent every level, or an Open talent (pick your own). One thing I appreciate about Open talents is if you pick something you would get at some other point, you can pick something else when you get to it. Decent variety of Talents, more coming.
- Casters get points to spend on magic Disciplines. Each Discipline has 6 ranks. EA you can get to rank 3 if you spend every magic advancement point on a single Discipline.
- You get skill a skill point (or more, depending on level/career/INT) every level. Skills are used for the expected shit. A lot of skills aren't implemented yet, the ones that are in are useful.

Exploration - MnM 6-8, Wiz 8. First-person 360 smooth movement.
- Lots to find, scouting skills are heavily checked in the background, I loved it.
- The playable area is already a long walk. There's a cool fast travel mechanic. Basically teleporting costs WP and maybe a skill/stat check (not sure about the check).
- Respawning encounters, shit decision imo. I can understand why though, if you pick up a new char that's underlevelled you might need to grind him up a bit.
- The overworld takes a long time to load for me. But I have a GTX 960 with 2GB of RAM, so it probably won't be bad for most people.
- Camping areas have to be found (either given to you via events or via skill checks). You can either use your stored supplies for a complete rest (full hp/mp, drop a cripple stack), or forage if you have no supplies (up to half hp/wp, you don't lose cripple stacks). Inns give full refill and clear all cripple stacks (a great argument for using the inn frequently and a small decision point that I appreciate so far).

Combat - Square-based grid, turn-based. Combat is initiated by getting close enough to mobs during exploration or during events.
- Map squares and traversable terrain/pathing are still very unclear in any but open terrain.
- Maps are wherever you happen to be. So there are lots of interesting opportunities to setup fights with a tactical advantage (fighting in chokepoints etc.).
- The formation system right now is, "you're lined up facing the enemy in a square, left-right/up-down in order". Hopefully this gets expanded on later.
- Combat is crushing at early levels. Expect to get shit on, especially if you start the game on Hard.
- No death unless you TPK. Chars that die in a fight get crippled, giving them a stacking penalty to all stats until they can get a full rest.
- Animations and graphics are a little ass right now. To be expected, hopefully it improves with time. They do the job.

Misc - not much to say so far.
- 4 person party is still a shit decision. At least you can recruit I think 2 more NPCs to go along with you. So that's something, I guess.