CD Projekt RED aka Polish Bioware thread

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

CD Projekt RED aka Polish Bioware thread

Post by wndrbr »

yeah i know this guy doesn't work at CDPR anymore, but still.

Last edited by wndrbr on March 21st, 2023, 04:30, edited 1 time in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/investors/ ... no-8-2023/
The aforementioned decision is based on results of evaluation of the scope and commercial potential of the original concept of Project Sirius, and ongoing work on formulating a new framework for this project.
Turns out CDPR and The Molasses Flood (american studio that made The Flame in the Flood) were developing a "co-op survival Witcher game with proc-generated content, aimed at a wider audience".

Looks like their suits are starting to realize that it's not exactly what the gamers expect when it comes to The Witcher franchise. CDPR is now writing off the costs and rebooting their survival game with a different base concept.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Cyberpunk basically eradicated any good will towards this developer, now they're just as bad as the rest of the pozzed industry. When any company claims they are developing for a "wider audience" or for "wider appeal", they are basically saying it's going to be a smoothed out, simplistic and ESG-compliant product. Them cancelling the current build probably won't change that fact, they'll just approach it differently. At least they are being upfront about their intentions, so we know not to get excited about anything they will be producing in the future.

The CD Projekt that made The Witcher 3 isn't the same CD Projekt of 2023. I suppose it was their business practices that ultimately pushed away the talented writers and designers involved in the best parts of that game, but that left a vacuum that has apparently been filled by liberal white women and faggots. If the author has any legal control over The Witcher's game license, it would be best if he revoked it now. The Tolkien approach is best nowadays, without question.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 21st, 2023, 03:50
If the author has any legal control over The Witcher's game license, it would be best if he revoked it now. The Tolkien approach is best nowadays, without question.
haha. Sapkowskiy sold his ass to Netflix of all corpos. He'll be happy with CDPR as long as they are paying him royalties.
KnightoftheWind

wndrbr wrote: March 21st, 2023, 04:32
KnightoftheWind wrote: March 21st, 2023, 03:50
If the author has any legal control over The Witcher's game license, it would be best if he revoked it now. The Tolkien approach is best nowadays, without question.
haha. Sapkowskiy sold his ass to Netflix of all corpos. He'll be happy with CDPR as long as they are paying him royalties.
Then I suppose his work really does mean little to him, oh well. If the author himself doesn't care why should we?.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

This might be one of the dumbest things I've ever read in my life.

The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

All this does is incentivize the hiring of men. Like... this pretty much sends women back 100, if not 200 years or more, as far as treatment and societal view goes.

The more I process the tweet, the more hilarious I find it, in the sense that feminism has come full circle and is now basically holding women back more than any man could.

Feminism: not even once.
KnightoftheWind

There are many things that women should be doing, being involved with anything video game related is not one of them. Maybe the female crossdressers would be superior to normal women, given that they are trying to imitate men and should therefore ATTEMPT a man's work ethic.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

The_Mask wrote: March 31st, 2023, 23:23
All this does is incentivize the hiring of men. Like... this pretty much sends women back 100, if not 200 years or more, as far as treatment and societal view goes.

The more I process the tweet, the more hilarious I find it, in the sense that feminism has come full circle and is now basically holding women back more than any man could.

Feminism: not even once.
You'll be forced to hire them at threat of imprisonment.
What will happen is the companies will move to more business-friendly countries and everyone involved loses in the name of progress.

But, yes, this is CDPR flat out admitting women are inferior workers to men.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

btw they basically announced the fourth Witcher game. During the recent investors call Adam Kicinski called their upcoming Project Polaris "The Witcher 4" by accident.
BosanskiSeljak

Post by BosanskiSeljak »

wndrbr wrote: April 1st, 2023, 05:07
btw they basically announced the fourth Witcher game. During the recent investors call Adam Kicinski called their upcoming Project Polaris "The Witcher 4" by accident.
Over/under on protagonist being a female Witcher? Bonus points if open world again.

Waiting to hear some more about that Witcher 1 remake. Masochism is a beautiful thing, can't wait to see troons destroy one of my favourite gaming memories.
Sweeper

Post by Sweeper »

The_Mask wrote: March 31st, 2023, 23:23
Alhamdulillah.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

BosanskiSeljak wrote: May 8th, 2023, 07:18
Waiting to hear some more about that Witcher 1 remake. Masochism is a beautiful thing, can't wait to see troons destroy one of my favourite gaming memories.
Get ready for some TW3-tier open world, complete with copypasted monster lairs, bandit camps and crates with level-scaled loot.
► Show Spoiler
There will be no need to save 5000 orens to buy an upgraded jacket, this time every random thug can drop one.
BosanskiSeljak

Post by BosanskiSeljak »

wndrbr wrote: May 9th, 2023, 09:09
Get ready for some TW3-tier open world, complete with copypasted monster lairs, bandit camps and crates with level-scaled loot.
Gothic & Witcher 1, two of my favourite atmospheres in any games set to be destroyed. F.

One of my favourite aspects of Witcher 1 was the lack of bloat in the inventory system, armour and swords hard to come by but make a huge difference. Yet still requiring inventory management because you never know when you'll need a certain type of alcohol or something for the drinking mini games.

Is the open world thing confirmed? I vaguely recall hearing something about that, I'm guessing they'll try to connect the hub areas too? Also curious what they'll do with Wyzima Confidential. Quest markers guiding you to optimal path? I'm really curious how badly they'll fuck it up.
KnightoftheWind

I feel that the entire point of a remake is to replace the original, that is the only artistic reason I can think of to even pursue such an endeavour in the first place. If the team involved in the remake is in no way connected to the original members whatsoever, then they should check their egos and "ideas" at the door and strive to emulate the original version in both intent and art direction. Do not strive to alter the original framework beyond recognition, otherwise you might as well be making something entirely new.

That is the difference between the remake of Resident Evil and Metroid Prime Remastered, vs the remakes of Resident Evil 2/3/4 and Final Fantasy VII. While the former can completely supplant the original, the latter cannot because it is a distinct re-imagining. It is the latter type that can seldom be called a "remake", because the ego of it's developers would not allow them to faithfully recreate their respective titles in both intent and art direction. They completely alter the games' story, gameplay, visual design, etc.
BosanskiSeljak

Post by BosanskiSeljak »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 9th, 2023, 20:42
I feel that the entire point of a remake is to replace the original
Of course, you're not allowed to have a game in *current year* that features collectible sex cards, non open-world, interesting side quests that weave into the main narrative, etc. Re-education is required.

Geralt can't stay the mutant weirdo he is, he's a super hero with a super hero adopted daughter with luscious hair. Music that makes you feel like you're really walking through some slavic shithole village hundreds of years ago is also a no go, you need to inject some hollywood, blockbuster sounds into it.

Can keep going and going.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I feel that the entire point of a remake is to replace the original, that is the only artistic reason I can think of to even pursue such an endeavour in the first place. If the team involved in the remake is in no way connected to the original members whatsoever, then they should check their egos and "ideas" at the door and strive to emulate the original version in both intent and art direction. Do not strive to alter the original framework beyond recognition, otherwise you might as well be making something entirely new.

That is the difference between the remake of Resident Evil and Metroid Prime Remastered, vs the remakes of Resident Evil 2/3/4 and Final Fantasy VII. While the former can completely supplant the original, the latter cannot because it is a distinct re-imagining. It is the latter type that can seldom be called a "remake", because the ego of it's developers would not allow them to faithfully recreate their respective titles in both intent and art direction. They completely alter the games' story, gameplay, visual design, etc.
Remakes are an important tactic of all cultural revolutions.
KnightoftheWind

maidenhaver wrote: May 10th, 2023, 00:47

Remakes are an important tactic of all cultural revolutions.
In practice and in the year 2023, yes. But in an ideal sense, the purpose to which all developers of remakes should aspire to is to replace the original version. With Resident Evil and Metroid Prime, the only reasons to play their respective OG versions is for historical reasons. Just because you're curious or want to preserve what those games were like as they released. As games and as works of art though, their remakes are for all intents and purposes the definitive editions of both titles. But when devs 'dont' aspire to do good or aren't motivated by reasons other than profit and spreading (((the message))), you get games like Dead Space and Resident Evil 4. Denuvo-infested, ESG-driven products only made for consoomers to purchase and forget about a month or two after the fact. They won't go down as all-time classics, just a thing that happened and was mildly interesting for a time.
BosanskiSeljak

Post by BosanskiSeljak »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 10th, 2023, 01:23
But in an ideal sense, the purpose to which all developers of remakes should aspire to is to replace the original version.
Pathologic --> Pathologic 2 & Geneforge 1 --> Geneforge 1 - Mutagen are a couple of good examples of that.

Both of those were respectable (Geneforge a little iffy depending on who you ask), but it will pale in comparison to the bullshit they're gonna pull with Witcher 1 remake. Gothic remake will go the same way. KOTOR as well, if that will even be released.
KnightoftheWind

BosanskiSeljak wrote: May 10th, 2023, 02:35
But in an ideal sense, the purpose to which all developers of remakes should aspire to is to replace the original version.
Pathologic --> Pathologic 2 & Geneforge 1 --> Geneforge 1 - Mutagen are a couple of good examples of that.

Both of those were respectable (Geneforge a little iffy depending on who you ask), but it will pale in comparison to the bullshit they're gonna pull with Witcher 1 remake. Gothic remake will go the same way. KOTOR as well, if that will even be released.
Whether we like it or not CD Projekt Red isn't a small developer anymore, they are now playing the same ball game as Activision and Ubisoft. They are in it to make as much money, and sell to as many people as possible. The CD Projekt that made the Witcher 3 isn't the same CD Projekt that made Cyberpunk, their bad working conditions chased out most of their old talent. Now they will coast off brand recognition. Don't expect a faithful, creatively-driven remake of the first Witcher. It's going to be a successor to 3 and nothing but. Which means open world and minimaps!.
BosanskiSeljak

Post by BosanskiSeljak »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 10th, 2023, 02:38
The CD Projekt that made the Witcher 3 isn't the same CD Projekt that made Cyberpunk
Implying they weren't already cucked by the time they made Twitcher 3. They had one game, Twitcher 1, and immediately swerved into console shit AAA developer syndrome for Twitcher 2
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

BosanskiSeljak wrote: May 10th, 2023, 02:35

You are probably correct but I'm going to remain optimistic about the Gothic remake until I see a concrete reason not to. This is coming from someone who hated the vertical slice so much that I found the Codex and joined it during a fit of rage-googling after playing it.
KnightoftheWind

BosanskiSeljak wrote: May 10th, 2023, 02:47
KnightoftheWind wrote: May 10th, 2023, 02:38
The CD Projekt that made the Witcher 3 isn't the same CD Projekt that made Cyberpunk
Implying they weren't already cucked by the time they made Twitcher 3. They had one game, Twitcher 1, and immediately swerved into console shit AAA developer syndrome for Twitcher 2
The Witcher 3 is a great game, if a very uncreative one mechanically. I enjoyed playing through it as a one-er, I liked the environments I visited and the quests I did. It felt like one grand adventure, with characters along the way reappearing in future quests unexpectedly (Like Master Mirror). The setpieces were very well done, some of the best in the genre as a matter of fact.

I haven't played the first game at all, to me it just looks like eurojank. But so was Arx Fatalis, so I may give it a shot one of these days.
BosanskiSeljak

Post by BosanskiSeljak »

KnightoftheWind wrote: May 10th, 2023, 03:03
(Like Master Mirror)
That's because Hearts of Stone was probably the best part of all 3 Witcher games honestly. As for the rest, I don't know how someone can slog through 100+ hours of that game. Environments are *pretty* but lack atmosphere that the other two had, especially 1. Apart from Hearts of Stone, and something like Bloody Baron/maybe the Crones, the game is largely unmemorable. As you said, set pieces, but that's what makes people not look past the surface to see a very generic fantasy game with a plot that's meh at best and muchhh worse than the previous games.
KnightoftheWind wrote: May 10th, 2023, 03:03
I haven't played the first game at all
It has the best atmosphere and music of the 3 games and doesn't suffer from the bullshit inventory/stats bloat of the others. Side quests are nicely woven into the overarching plot so don't skip them, you won't be running around slaying useless bandit camps. I will say however, that the prologue/intro of Witcher 1 is definitely not good. There's lots of little things that are great and show the care of CD Projekt within their small budget, but it's forgettable. I don't think the graphics aged poorly, lighting, details and even stuff like trees swaying in the wind are all there. With a modern PC, you can make the graphics pretty nice.

Euro Jank - The game only crashed for me once, and that was the first time playing through the prologue, but bugs in general are infrequent and largely miniscule. The jankiest part of the game is definitely if you skip some sidequests, the game doesn't account for that and assumes you've done it, so you'd meet a character who acts as if you've already met. These are hard to miss, however.

If you give it a try, just remember it's very far removed from Witcher 3 in almost every design choice from quests, plot, characters, etc.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

HoS >> B&W >>>> Witcher >>>>>>> Witcher 3 >>>>>>>> Witcher 2

Genuinely a mystery how they managed to hit gold with Witcher 3's DLCs inbetween the base game & Cyberpunk.
BosanskiSeljak

Post by BosanskiSeljak »

GhostCow wrote: May 10th, 2023, 02:51
You are probably correct but I'm going to remain optimistic about the Gothic remake until I see a concrete reason not to.
Straight from the website: "A modernized combat system that takes the basic premises of the original combat system and opens it up to a new generation of gamers."

That's already a red flag.

I'm also not a fan of the screenshots that came out. Even Piranha Bytes proved they don't understand how they achieved the atmosphere in Gothic that everyone loved, so this *modern day graphics* shit done by a different studio doesn't give me much hope.

The cynical side of me is still waiting to see how they'll force some "strong" female character into it as well, but that's just a guess. Though, all released information doesn't give me much hope for it unfortunately.
BosanskiSeljak

Post by BosanskiSeljak »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 10th, 2023, 03:15
HoS >> B&W >>>> Witcher >>>>>>> Witcher 3 >>>>>>>> Witcher 2

Genuinely a mystery how they managed to hit gold with Witcher 3's DLCs inbetween the base game & Cyberpunk.
Switch Witcher with B&W, and W3 with W2 and that's how I see them. I couldn't get into Blood & Wine because it was just more of the same bullshit in W3 that I didn't enjoy, it's just less painful because there's no Ciri & space elves.

Granted, I played B&W after 140 hours of the base game so I was already burnt out, so I might go back and give it a fair shot, but I very sure it still won't beat out W1 for me. Still though, those expansions highlight the flaws in W3 better than I ever could. It's amazing what a confined story in a smaller, more dense area can do for that game, despite what I think about combat/design choices/new characters/Geralt's look/etc.
Last edited by BosanskiSeljak on May 10th, 2023, 03:25, edited 1 time in total.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

BosanskiSeljak wrote: May 10th, 2023, 03:20
Straight from the website: "A modernized combat system that takes the basic premises of the original combat system and opens it up to a new generation of gamers."

That's already a red flag.

I'm also not a fan of the screenshots that came out. Even Piranha Bytes proved they don't understand how they achieved the atmosphere in Gothic that everyone loved, so this *modern day graphics* shit done by a different studio doesn't give me much hope.

The cynical side of me is still waiting to see how they'll force some "strong" female character into it as well, but that's just a guess. Though, all released information doesn't give me much hope for it unfortunately.

I thought the screenshots looked great, but I'm concerned about the combat. It won't be the same combat from the vertical slice, so there's no way it could be worse than that.