Fallout: New Vegas 2 (in very early discussions)

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

Hope it doesnt happen. Hope obsidian goes under long before this shit gets released. Hope the "rights" for the new vegas franchise go through a long judicial battle and that by the time the judge makes his ruling im not even around to find out.
Shillitron

Post by Shillitron »

I'll live long enough to see Fallout Boy wear pink and blue knee high socks and gargle Nuka Troonshine that xer crafted in a basement bunker bathtub.. (that is still falling apart 400 years after nukes dropped)

Best timeline ever.
Bonerstorm

Post by Bonerstorm »

War never changes, but it disproportionately affects women, minorities and the LGBTQ+ crowd.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

On the plus side, "American Krogan" is modding Fallout 4 to remove all the subversive elements.

https://gab.com/AmericanKrogan
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Not interested in FNV2 in particular but I would like to see non-Bethesda devs create more Bethesda-style games. Maybe not modern Obsidian though.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Bethesda has left a lot of free money lying on the ground by not farming out their engine and IPs. All of the non-Bethesda Bethesda-style games (Nehrim, Enderal, FNV) were better than their own products. Maybe somebody at Microsoft will have the brains to figure this out.
KnightoftheWind

Dead wrote: March 21st, 2023, 22:13
Isometric and turn-based or nothing. So nothing.
It'd be cool to get an isometric ARPG in the vein of a Diablo or Torchlight, I think that could work very well and be somewhat of a middle-ground between Classic Fallout and Todd Howard Fallout.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 21st, 2023, 23:20
Dead wrote: March 21st, 2023, 22:13
Isometric and turn-based or nothing. So nothing.
It'd be cool to get an isometric ARPG in the vein of a Diablo or Torchlight, I think that could work very well and be somewhat of a middle-ground between Classic Fallout and Todd Howard Fallout.
This was originally intended for Fallout 4.

There was a leaker — no, don't laugh, bear with me here — who posted information about FO4 before it was even announced, and most of it was either mostly accurate or dead on, including Bethesda appearing at E3. Why is the last so special? Bethesda never once appeared at E3, and there was no indication they'd be doing so that year either.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/02/10/will-bethesda-announce-fallout-4-at-their-first-ever-e3-event/
They also correctly stated that Fallout shelter was in development by another company.

Here's the original post for it:

archived version: https://archive.is/2xb9o
Look at the comments laughing at the suggestion Bethesda would appear at E3, to understand why that part was significant and proof it's true.

One of the things on the list that didn't make it into the game but stood out was this:
or on the PC version, a new "Classic Mode" that will put the game into birds eye view and play similar to the classic Fallout Games. (Although by my experience, it actually looked and played more like the PS2/Xbox Fallout: Brotherhood of steel.)
Some other interesting bits in there that go a ways to explaining obvious issues, like this:
Unlike Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, you can only play as a man. This is due to the storyline requiring it.
The husband is a war veteran, the wife is a …lawyer. You're obviously supposed to play as the husband.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Bioware did something similar in DAI and boy did that not work out. It's too janky and too unrefined to slap a "bird's eye view" and a "tactical" mode on a 3D ARPG

Turn based gameplay isn't an afterthought, it's a delicate and difficult mode to get right.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Atlantico wrote: March 21st, 2023, 23:54
Bioware did something similar in DAI and boy did that not work out. It's too janky and too unrefined to slap a "bird's eye view" and a "tactical" mode on a 3D ARPG

Turn based gameplay isn't an afterthought, it's a delicate and difficult mode to get right.
But it works fine in DAO. DAI's issue was that it was clunky as fuck all around. You can't even move and attack in DAI.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 21st, 2023, 23:49
and most of it was either mostly accurate or dead on,
heh, something I didn't notice before is this is obviously missing:
Talon Company also returns, but in a much smaller force. They base operations outside of a bunker located in Downtown Boston.
…Or was it?
In one of Bethesda's "mini DLC" Creation Club quests, guess what group makes an appearance?
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/The_Good_Fight
Read the note picked up from the body of the nearby Vertibird pilot, Sparrow, and fly to GNR plaza. Upon arrival, the player character and the Good Fighters will be attacked by two waves of Talon Company mercenaries.
Can only imagine how much cut content ends up being repackaged and sold as DLC now.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Emphyrio wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 00:12
DAO would have been better as an ARPG
If by "ARPG" you mean a diablo-clone, then I disagree. Easily one of the worst "subgenre" of games that exists.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 00:14
If by "ARPG" you mean a diablo-clone, then I disagree. Easily one of the worst "subgenre" of games that exists.
More like Jade Empire. No, I hate diablo too.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

If anything, I always felt that DA:O would've been 10 times better TB, or even better: phase-based.

But I would absolutely love to read your arguments pro-ARPG.
KnightoftheWind

I dunno about that, Torchlight II is pretty damn awesome and aside from recent Diablo entries sucking, it's a genre that we rarely see new games for. If that insider information on early Fallout 4 is true, which it very well could be, it's too bad that Bethesda didn't go forward with their initial plan. Even if it didn't turn out the best, it would've at least placated certain segments of the fanbase that would rather play the game isometric than first/third person.

But just a different perspective isn't enough, what I'm asking for is a game developed exclusively for that isometric perspective, with ARPG gameplay inspired by Diablo. So we could have that fast-paced gunplay, while allowing for better quests and storylines. I'd imagine it's a lot easier developing an isometric game than a first-person one, where detail requirements are a lot higher.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Emphyrio wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 00:15
But DAO is an action RPG? :scratch: It just happens to have full party control & a pause feature for tactics.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 00:20
I'd imagine it's a lot easier developing an isometric game than a first-person one, where detail requirements are a lot higher.
Debatable. You can get away with worse looking games due to the camera being further away, but customers still expect a full-price title to have good grafx. Deadfire remains one of the best looking games on the market, with White March 1 & 2 trailing not too far behind.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

The_Mask wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 00:16
If anything, I always felt that DA:O would've been 10 times better TB, or even better: phase-based.

But I would absolutely love to read your arguments pro-ARPG.
That would be fine too. Either way would have been better than the RTWP system they shipped with. But at the time it came out, right at the end of the RPG famine, people were still happy with a bioware rtwp game.
KnightoftheWind

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 00:23
KnightoftheWind wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 00:20
I'd imagine it's a lot easier developing an isometric game than a first-person one, where detail requirements are a lot higher.
Debatable. You can get away with worse looking games due to the camera being further away, but customers still expect a full-price title to have good grafx. Deadfire remains one of the best looking games on the market, with White March 1 & 2 trailing not too far behind.
Perhaps, but even if it's "expected" that a new ARPG title look more realistic and high fidelity, people are willing to accept something that may not look as good as, say, a Fallout 5. Where photorealistic characters and environments will take centre stage, for better or for worse.

You can have a Fallout ARPG that is more stylized, more akin to the old CGI renders even, and it would be met with great enthusiasm. People don't play Diablo 2 in 2023 for it's realistic graphics, they play it because it's fun. Or a more recent example, Path of Exile, which despite releasing in 2013 is still going strong to this day.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 00:28
People don't play Diablo 2 in 2023 for it's realistic graphics
Wasn't that the entire point of the remake?
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 00:21
Emphyrio wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 00:15

But DAO is an action RPG? :scratch: It just happens to have full party control & a pause feature for tactics.
I don't think so. The combat is based on die rolls and you can do a full battle without any player input besides the tactics menu. Mass Effect is probably a better analogy for what I mean by arpg than Jade Empire.
KnightoftheWind

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 00:28
KnightoftheWind wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 00:28
People don't play Diablo 2 in 2023 for it's realistic graphics
Wasn't that the entire point of the remake?
Even if the remaster never happened, a lot of people would still be playing the original. The remaster just made it relevant to normies again.
► Show Spoiler
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

or on the PC version, a new "Classic Mode" that will put the game into birds eye view and play similar to the classic Fallout Games. (Although by my experience, it actually looked and played more like the PS2/Xbox Fallout: Brotherhood of steel.)
Some other interesting bits in there that go a ways to explaining obvious issues, like this:
Unlike Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, you can only play as a man. This is due to the storyline requiring it.
The husband is a war veteran, the wife is a …lawyer. You're obviously supposed to play as the husband.
that leak was a load of bollocks and most of the stuff he pointed out correctly were just lucky guesses.

No way in hell Bethesda would've went for something like this. Even if we ignore the fact that Fallout series always gave players the option to create their own characters, none of Bethesda's own main RPGs restricted player into playing only as a man or only as a woman. As for storyline requiring it... since when nubethesda cares about their storylines making sense?

And the birds-eye classic mode... what? Fo4 has a lot of verticality in its level design, according to concept art the focus on having vertical arenas was there from the very beginning. For a birds-eye camera to work Bethesda would need to completely redesign most of the game, including every single dungeon. Also, why would they bother handicapping themselves like this and then only adding this "optional" mode exclusively for a PC version?

The notoriously lazy hacks that cut out even the relatively simple features because they was too difficult to implement in their janky engine would never come up with something like "classic mode".
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 00:10
and most of it was either mostly accurate or dead on,
heh, something I didn't notice before is this is obviously missing:
Talon Company also returns, but in a much smaller force. They base operations outside of a bunker located in Downtown Boston.
…Or was it?
In one of Bethesda's "mini DLC" Creation Club quests, guess what group makes an appearance?
https://fallout.fandom.com/wiki/The_Good_Fight
Read the note picked up from the body of the nearby Vertibird pilot, Sparrow, and fly to GNR plaza. Upon arrival, the player character and the Good Fighters will be attacked by two waves of Talon Company mercenaries.
Can only imagine how much cut content ends up being repackaged and sold as DLC now.
i thought the stuff from creation club are just a bunch of non-canon mods, not something produced by Bethesda themselves.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

wndrbr wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 01:13
and most of the stuff he pointed out correctly were just lucky guesses.
Correctly luckily guessed the following, only including ones that were entirely or almost entirely accurate:
  • The downtown area is entirely controlled by "The Institute", a group of techies and scholars, as well as researchers, who devote their lives to technology.
  • The Brotherhood Of Steel returns and control Logan Airport. This BOS is not the same as seen in Fallout 3. Instead, a similar BOS to the ones seen in the classic Fallout games as well as Fallout New Vegas make an appearance, only caring about technology, and will obtain it by force if they have to.
  • The Railroad returns from Fallout 3, where you only had a small glimpse of it during the "Replicated man" quest. In this game, they are a full faction and are much larger.
  • Madison Li returns from Fallout 3. 10 years prior to Fallout 4, she left D.C after the Loss of James and having thought she lost the lone wanderer as well. Having had enough, she left to Boston, as it is home to one of the biggest Scientific facilities. Madison will once again be voiced by Jennifer Massey.
  • June 2015 - Fallout 4 reveal at E3, trailer only
    • Bethesda never appeared at E3 prior.
  • October 2015 - PS4/Xbox One/PC release
    • Off by one month. For a game not even announced as in development yet.
  • Fallout Spinoff revealed, in development by Behaviour Interactive.
Note the last one. Not only did they correctly guess that Fallout Shelter was in development, but that it was being developed by the guys who were actually making it. That's some serious lucky guess! Surely they must have just been a company closely related to Bethesda, right? Only 1 game they made was published by Bethesda prior, out of about 40.

Guess they just maxed out luck, like the courier. :smug:
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Most of it can be guessed based on that Fo3 sidequest, though.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

wndrbr wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 01:33
But not the two most important ones that offer the most evidence the person was in the know.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 01:36
wndrbr wrote: March 22nd, 2023, 01:33
But not the two most important ones that offer the most evidence the person was in the know.
being in the know of some technical stuff like knowing about the studio that makes a mobile spin-off doesn't necessary prove the truthfulness of the entire leak. The leaker could've overheard about Shelter and a possible E3 appearance, and then came up with a bunch of bullshit claims based on that Fo3 replicant sidequest.