Fallout: New Vegas 2 (in very early discussions)

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
The_Mask

Fallout: New Vegas 2 (in very early discussions)

Post by The_Mask »

https://www.eurogamer.net/fallout-new-v ... d-obsidian
Fallout New Vegas 2 reportedly in "very early" discussions at Microsoft and Obsidian
"A lot of people at Microsoft think that this could work."

It's been (sorry to do this to you) 12 years since the launch of Obsidian Entertainment's much-loved post-apocalyptic RPG Fallout: New Vegas, yet hope for a follow-up still lingers among fans. And now, if a new report proves true, there may be a glimmer of hope on the horizon, with "very early" discussions for a sequel said to be taking place between Microsoft and Obsidian.

That's according to VentureBeat's Jeff Grubb who, speaking in the latest episode of his Giantbomb show Grubbsnax (as spotted and transcribed by VGC), revealed, "This is very early, but people have begun to have talks and say these words in sentences, and these words are 'Obsidian' and 'New Vegas 2'". Grubb added, "A lot of people at Microsoft think that this could work and there's a lot of interest to make it happen."

New Vegas fans might, however, want to rein their excitement in just a little. Grubb noted that any such project would be "years and years away [but] there's at least an interest and conversations happening about making something like that actually a reality."

There is, of course, a very good reason why Fallout fans have long hoped to see Obsidian Entertainment revisit Bethesda's Fallout series, be that in a New Vegas sequel or otherwise. Not only was New Vegas widely celebrated on its initial release (it earned a good old-fashioned Eurogamer 9/10 back in the day), it's now regarded as an all-time RPG classic - even earning a place Eurogamer's Games of the Decade list in 2019.

"New Vegas doesn't give you an easy answer to solving all the Mojave's problems," Emma Kent wrote. "No outcome is perfect, and it's more a matter of deciding your own priorities and what you're personally willing to sacrifice. I gave up small-town freedom for big government - complete with taxes, corruption and inefficiency - all in the name of stability and order. New Vegas ends up telling you a little about yourself."
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Don't know how anyone can get excited about this, have we not learned from the past decade of poz and faggotry?. This isn't even Obsidian working on it's own accord, this is Obsidian working under 'Microsoft'. One of the top champions of globohomo and the A.I control grid. Any sliver of a chance of this actually being good just got thrown out the window, not that New Vegas itself didn't have some questionable aspects.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

Updated on 25 Feb 2022

I would rate this old if I could.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Yeah, I'm just keeping a timeline, for the eventual day when all these rumors will turn out to be false, and they'll announce something. :)

ERYFKRAD

Post by ERYFKRAD »

What's even the point of a follow-up to a done and dusted story? Someone gonna shoot the courier again?
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

ERYFKRAD wrote: March 18th, 2023, 05:39
What's even the point of a follow-up to a done and dusted story? Someone gonna shoot the courier again?
at this point FNV2 is basically a placeholder name for some "future Fallout game from Obsidian". Even though Avellone reset Vegas setting back into a status-quo ruined wasteland by introducing tunnelers, somehow I doubt Obsidian would want to make a direct sequel set in the same area.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Brands became notable because of strict quality assurance to ensure the product received is of the quality expected regardless if the people originally responsible are still with the company.
Video game developers largely do not have anything like this, once the original devs are gone — assuming it wasn't just pure luck — the product goes with them. You can blame it on a mixture of participation trophy culture, gamedevs considering themselves artists who should be free to express themselves, video game developers who hate videogames and seek to undermine expectations, and so forth.

Essentially, I doubt Feargus is yelling at his womyn writers telling them that their work is garbage and they need to go play Obsidian's old games repeatedly or be fired.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Hopefully IRL Fallout happens before this shite.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

But seriously. If there is God this isn't going to happen, same with Bloodlines 2 i still hope it gets cancelled in the end, same with Arcanum sequel if they think about tarnishing its name as well. And every other flawed gem ive come to love over the years. Obsidian are disgusting faggots and so are microsoft. It will be Outer Worlds with NV name on it, a sequel "adapted" for "modern audience" as they like to say... aka brainwashed goyim. NV had some faggotry but not nearly enough to make the game garbage, and they used ideas from Van Buren and clearly put a lot of heart into the game. Overall great game in my opinion when you patch it. It became one of my favorite rpgs.

I'm really jaded nowadays but still thinking about my favorite games getting current year tier sequels makes me extremely angry and disgusted.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

I expect Microsoft to want to keep the Fallout IP alive and I'm sorry Rusty but Fallout 76 is not doing it.

Seems to me Bethesda has their plate full as well, finishing up their space game and then TES6, so they're years away from another potential Fallout game. Microsoft is definitely looking at FO76 and thinking outsourcing this franchise to a totally unproven studio is risky. I know how suits think. I wear one for my day job.

The Microsoft suits should definitely prefer Obsidian to make a Fallout game over any other third-party developer, that's how suits think. Even if Obsidian of today isn't the Obsidian that made New Vegas. Now it's a soy studio run by a simp and some women.

But if Obsidian can't be convinced to develop another FO game, well then Microsoft will get some other subsidiary studio to do this — but another Fallout game needs to happen before too long and Bethesda isn't doing one.

Will Obsidian do it? Eh, who knows, but someone will be wrangled to do it sooner than later. The spice must flow.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Atlantico wrote: March 18th, 2023, 12:16
I expect Microsoft to want to keep the Fallout IP alive and I'm sorry Rusty but Fallout 76 is not doing it. Microsoft is definitely looking at FO76 and thinking outsourcing this franchise to a totally unproven studio is risky.

The Microsoft suits should definitely prefer Obsidian to make a Fallout game over any other third-party developer, that's how suits think. Even if Obsidian of today isn't the Obsidian that made New Vegas. Now it's a soy studio run by a simp and some women.
by this point even the suits understand that Obsidian is a dysfunctional studio that can't manage big projects (Avowed, TOW2).

It would actually make more sense to pull a plug on Fo76's support and divert Fo76 team to the development of the next Fallout game - maybe not Fallout 5, but some kind of intermediate spinoff. Yeah, Fo76 was badly received due to the bugs and other reasons, but after years of gruelling pathwork the team now knows how to handle Bethbryo. And their singleplayer content wasn't all that awful (admittedly, I didn't play The Wastelanders myself, just going off of what rusty was saying).

I'm all for the next Fallout game to be developed by Fo76 devs.
Griffin

Post by Griffin »

With the current crop of writers and designers, I really hope Obsidian doesn't get their grubby hands on any more Fallout-games...if they'd gotten another Fallout game right after New Vegas, it'd be another story.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

wndrbr wrote: March 18th, 2023, 14:16
by this point even the suits understand that Obsidian is a dysfunctional studio that can't manage big projects (Avowed, TOW2).
You know that, I know that, suits do not know that. They think in terms of "safe choices". Because FONV is now considered a classic and the best game of the modern Fallout franchise, that means Obsidian is a safe choice.
It would actually make more sense to pull a plug on Fo76's support and divert Fo76 team to the development of the next Fallout game - maybe not Fallout 5, but some kind of intermediate spinoff. Yeah, Fo76 was badly received due to the bugs and other reasons, but after years of gruelling pathwork the team now knows how to handle Bethbryo. And their singleplayer content wasn't all that awful (admittedly, I didn't play The Wastelanders myself, just going off of what rusty was saying).
You're thinking about "how to make a good choice", not "how to make a safe choice". Suits aren't looking at the studio that made FO76 and think "hm those guys sure have shaped up and won't fuck up next time, let's give them another shot!"

Being a suit is living in constant fear of making an unsafe choice, so when something flops you have to be able to explain why your choice was good and it really was someone else's fault that the game flopped. Suits are terribly cowardly animals, but they need to greenlight a new AAA project. They will pick the safest option available to them.
I'm all for the next Fallout game to be developed by Fo76 devs.
They'll be too busy with making Starfield DLC and maintaining the multiplayer. It's over for them
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Fade in...camera flythrough of New Vegas, people laughing and having a good time. Make sure to show an even balance of minorities during flythrough, camera closes in on *throws a dart* the Gomorrah.

Next scene, scantily clad woman (PCFemale) faces the camera, pushing at someone. "Wake up, if you're late for work one more time they're gonna sell you to the White Gloves for meat." (REFERENCE!). PCMale gets up and faces the mirror (Character creation). Add some boring dialogue and then CHARNAME goes down stairs to start his shift as a bouncer (Or a callgirl if female) when SUDDENLY...KABOOM!

Securitrons are scrambling around outside, being blown to pieces, smoke and screaming people. Out of the fire comes...THE ENCLAVE! Jump to CHARNAME and give them control for thirty minute movement and fighting tutorial. Tutorial ends, jump to the Lucky 38 which is ablaze. Out staggers an old man with a bulletscar on his head, oh no the courier from the first game has been mortally wounded! Before he dies he gives CHARNAME a MacGuffin and a cryptic clue. More Enclave show up and CHARNAME has to flee, but not before he get gets a suit of MK3 Enclave Power Armor and huge cannon to mow down enemies with. Also he tries to rescue PCMale/Female who of course, dies.

CHARNAME flees the ruins of New Vegas, how could this happen? All he has to go on is the MacGuffin and the cryptic clue, somewhere in the middle of this CHARNAME finds out he/she is actually a clone of The Courier and the MacGuffin is the only thing that can stop the Enclave and only he can use it because of DNA Encoding magic so they're the chosen one and the Enclave wants them and argblbgglbaalgggll.
KnightoftheWind

I think whatever cringe fan fiction we can come up with for this hypothetical game, it won't even scratch the surface, by the time this tripe comes out it'll probably be 2026 and we'll be 4 years off from owning nothing and being happy. The wasteland will be so full of brown people and faggots you'd think you were playing in real-world California, the only thing different would be the lack of social media access and slightly dirtier sidewalks.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

KnightoftheWind wrote: March 18th, 2023, 22:38
The wasteland will be so full of brown people and faggots you'd think you were playing in real-world California, the only thing different would be the lack of social media access and slightly dirtier sidewalks.
This already describes New Vegas, but since it was released before the Great Push hardly anyone paid it any mind.
KnightoftheWind

Fallout was already sowing the seeds since the first installment, don't forget that the founder of the NCR is the daughter of an indian man, and the president in Fallout 2 is a POWERFUL and STUNNING black woman. Fallout 2's story even involves an evil, white, fascist organization who's main goal is to shoah all the mutants. Which is about as subtle as anything we get nowadays.

So if New Vegas was also suspect, I wouldn't be surprised since the staff of Fallout 2 were involved.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Still blows my mind that codexers ignore Conan Exiles. Literally the most big unwoke video game of modern times. Blind mother fuckers just close they eyes and continue to bitch about everything being woke.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

SDG wrote: March 19th, 2023, 00:22
Still blows my mind that codexers ignore Conan Exiles. Literally the most big unwoke video game of modern times. Blind mother fuckers just close they eyes and continue to bitch about everything being woke.
Survival games are gay
Trithne

Post by Trithne »

Tweed wrote: March 18th, 2023, 22:28
Fade in...camera flythrough of New Vegas, people laughing and having a good time. Make sure to show an even balance of minorities during flythrough, camera closes in on *throws a dart* the Gomorrah.

Next scene, scantily clad woman (PCFemale) faces the camera, pushing at someone. "Wake up, if you're late for work one more time they're gonna sell you to the White Gloves for meat." (REFERENCE!). PCMale gets up and faces the mirror (Character creation). Add some boring dialogue and then CHARNAME goes down stairs to start his shift as a bouncer (Or a callgirl if female) when SUDDENLY...KABOOM!

Securitrons are scrambling around outside, being blown to pieces, smoke and screaming people. Out of the fire comes...THE ENCLAVE! Jump to CHARNAME and give them control for thirty minute movement and fighting tutorial. Tutorial ends, jump to the Lucky 38 which is ablaze. Out staggers an old man with a bulletscar on his head, oh no the courier from the first game has been mortally wounded! Before he dies he gives CHARNAME a MacGuffin and a cryptic clue. More Enclave show up and CHARNAME has to flee, but not before he get gets a suit of MK3 Enclave Power Armor and huge cannon to mow down enemies with. Also he tries to rescue PCMale/Female who of course, dies.

CHARNAME flees the ruins of New Vegas, how could this happen? All he has to go on is the MacGuffin and the cryptic clue, somewhere in the middle of this CHARNAME finds out he/she is actually a clone of The Courier and the MacGuffin is the only thing that can stop the Enclave and only he can use it because of DNA Encoding magic so they're the chosen one and the Enclave wants them and argblbgglbaalgggll.
Don't forget that roughly 260 years after the war, there will still be rubble in the streets of Freeside from the war.
SDG

Post by SDG »

GhostCow wrote: March 19th, 2023, 00:34
Survival games are gay
It's only survival on the surface. That can all be turned off and it doesn't hurt the game one bit.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

Still blows my mind you're ignoring Fallout
SDG

Post by SDG »

Fedora Master wrote: March 19th, 2023, 08:37
Will you just like go find a nice cozy set of train tracks to lay on and stop annoying me ya twat?
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

SDG wrote: March 19th, 2023, 08:40
Fedora Master wrote: March 19th, 2023, 08:37
Will you just like go find a nice cozy set of train tracks to lay on and stop annoying me ya twat?
Mhhhh....

No
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

till blows my mind that codexers ignore Conan Exiles.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. We are a skeptical bunch. Word-of-mouth recommendations aren't very strong coming only from a single person, that being said I haven't heard anyone hate on Conan Exiles either, so...

I simply don't have the time right now, but it sounds mildly intriguing. I thought you didn't play RPGs, you said something like that on the codex.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Atlantico wrote: March 19th, 2023, 10:45
I thought you didn't play RPGs, you said something like that on the codex.
I never said that shit. I'm not into RPGs that are deemed cool in that place (turn based, rtwp). I like my ARPGs.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Fallout: Two Vegas
Fallout: (Back) To Vegas
Fallout: Too Vegas (For You)
Fallout: True Vegas
Fallout: Jew Vegas
Fallout: Who (Made This) Vegas
Fallout: Nu Vegas
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

SDG wrote: March 19th, 2023, 03:27
GhostCow wrote: March 19th, 2023, 00:34
Survival games are gay
It's only survival on the surface. That can all be turned off and it doesn't hurt the game one bit.
Still a crafting game and crafting is also gay
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Curious as to how awful it will be so I hope it does happen.