Search engines are utterly broken

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
Segata Sanshiro
Turtle
Turtle

Search engines are utterly broken

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

All of them. Google, Bing, DuckDuckGo, Yandex, Yahoo, Searx, Startpage. We know by now that they've switched goals; rather than help you find things, they want to steer you into the direction of political correctness and mass media. The first 30 results are the same article reproduced by 30 fishy pajeet sites, the image reverse search will refuse to give you better image quality, filters can only do so much... we know that if we want to solve certain tech problems, we need to type 'site:www.reddit.com' next to our query. People are using AI for the search needs because it's understood that normal search engines won't help you on that front. What can be done about it? is it a lost cause? why isn't there a single company that realizes there's an untapped market in providing accurate results instead of (((personalized))) ones?

Another example of stuff that worked years ago but now it doesn't and you gotta accept the decline, chud.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 26th, 2023, 13:09
we know that if we want to solve certain tech problems, we need to type 'site:www.reddit.com' next to our query.
wot
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 26th, 2023, 13:11
Segata Sanshiro wrote: February 26th, 2023, 13:09
we know that if we want to solve certain tech problems, we need to type 'site:www.reddit.com' next to our query.
wot
I know what he means. It's not restricted to tech, either. Sometimes it's just easier to find an answer to some niggling little 'how to' question by searching for a reddit thread specifically than sifting through the garbage search engines turn up.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Putting before:2020-01-01 next to the query helps filter out the more egregious results. But it doesn't help the scrambled "smart" search results. It also helps alleviate the time scope limiting effect of infinite scrolling.
Last edited by Dead on February 26th, 2023, 13:54, edited 1 time in total.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

Aye, completely broken and utterly useless nowadays. Though its not just because of the bias, most of the internet relevant content seems to have migrated to reddit/instagram/ticktock/discord. Both Instagram and ticktock block webcrawlers, while most people making webpages know how to fool the algorithm.

Its just an absolute mess and there doesnt seem to be an easy fix.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Forums used to be easier to search with search engines. But like Lhynn says forum users migrated to reddit/discord/facebook groups. Reddit is heavily censored and the voting system kills interesting discussions. Discord is a tranny hive. Facebook groups used to be the most like old forums, but Facebook groups died and those users aren't returning to forums or making new forums. I heard it's not easy for small businesses and individuals to get their websites listed in search results unless they are familiar with how search engines work. Some of the things I miss the most about the old internet are thoroughly customized webpages made by individuals or small businesses that reflected their personalities.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

You can host your own instance and customize it to your needs.
Gastrick
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Gastrick »

Looking it up directly on 4plebs is necessary if you are looking for something specific that is political. Other search engines will returned junk or left-wing biased results.
I tested this out, and it returned responses to a question that were very tedious and time consuming to find when looking it up earlier. It also linked a superior answer within the first 8 results.
Last edited by Gastrick on February 27th, 2023, 03:44, edited 1 time in total.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

I noticed a similar problem with email spam filters. 5 years ago it appeared to be a solved problem. Now it shows up in my inbox at least once a week.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

I found that one of the solutions was to add certain websites to block lists so they don't show up in search results.

It requires more effort, work arounds and digging to find a relevant answer to a question from a search than it did 10 years ago for example. And it's likely to get worse, not better. Depending on how much worse it gets, the person saying "I'm too lazy to google it" might have a fair point.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Soon AI will be able to build and host those useless websites cluttering up your search results.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

I've tried using chatGPT in place of traditional google searches when I've looked for random answers, as a starting point of course. If chatGPT doesn't know the answer, it will simply make something up or lie to you.

It seems to give concise and better answers a lot of the time. Then I can tailor specific search engine queries that way. I haven't tried asking chatgpt to make me a search query on a topic, but that might be a viable option too.
Maggot

Post by Maggot »

I've had to stop using Brave Search because they put their own AI generated results at the top, which are often nonsense.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

Maggot wrote: March 18th, 2023, 19:27
I've had to stop using Brave Search because they put their own AI generated results at the top, which are often nonsense.
It's even worse than Google.
Lutte
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lutte »

https://wiby.me/

Finally something that can cure the internet for good. Look at this wonder. No ad-riddled, jabba the script overloaded crap. Just plain old internet websites and forums.

Geez, the codex is on page 1 of a search as generic as just the term 'rpg'. Not bad. Could do better though: I submitted the HQ to the index.

I wish I had known about this sooner. Let's submit more content to this wonderland.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

I fucking hate the internet now. The only good thing left is Archive and that might be gone once they lose the lawsuit.
J1M wrote: March 17th, 2023, 22:15
Soon AI will be able to build and host those useless websites cluttering up your search results.
They already are, have been for years.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Even video sharing sites have become unwatchable, other than a few reactionary channels I've basically sworn off them.
Klerik

Post by Klerik »

On the other hand, it's great not to be subject to the full view of the human asshole while trying to find the nearest BBQ joint.
Norfleet

Post by Norfleet »

On the other hand, Goatse is pretty nostalgic at this point.
Segata Sanshiro
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

They are just getting worse and worse. Even trying to find simple stuff is not possible anymore, every search engine will actively ignore your actual query. I am angery.
Oyster Sauce
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Oyster Sauce »

Segata Sanshiro wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:03
They are just getting worse and worse. Even trying to find simple stuff is not possible anymore, every search engine will actively ignore your actual query. I am angery.
take the blackest pill of all: adding "reddit" to the end of each search
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

Oyster Sauce wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:09
Segata Sanshiro wrote: April 20th, 2024, 13:03
take the blackest pill of all: adding "reddit" to the end of each search
But reddit blocks my vpn servers so I can't even use that :mad:
madbringer
Turtle
Turtle

Post by madbringer »

I dunno what u guys complain about, you only have to have indepth software knowhow, know exactly what to look for, purposefuly manipulate search results with filters and then manually sift thru waste results.

It's fucking fine.