We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

The Legends of Amberland MEGATHREAD

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

The Legends of Amberland MEGATHREAD

Post by Kalarion »

There's a release thread for Amberland II, but I didn't see anything for the original. I figured I'd start a thread.

I'm playing the first seriously for the first time. I just crossed the desert full of super-scorpions and am currently pillaging the soft eastlands. I have many questions and comments that no one in IRC can answer (AHEM, @Acrux). Another motivation for this thread.

Playing on Hard might have been a mistake. There's just not enough tactical depth to justify it, at least that I've seen. Special abilities being once/rest, decent spells scaling slowly/not at all to content, high mana requirements for good effects... combine that with elite mobs one-shotting my entire frontline with alarming regularity, I'm doing a lot of rest spamming with very little recourse. It doesn't help that monsters take a looooooooooooooooong time to die unless you're willing to blow through mana faster than hookers snort cocaine.

On the one hand, it's great that stats matter. A lot. On the other hand, my hybrids get shafted hard because they're spread so thin. Especially my Forgemaster. Sharpness is awesome, and I'm looking forward to stacking armor buffs. But right now I can't, because the Forgemaster armor spell is ridiculously expensive and requires a shitload (relatively speaking) of Arcane, while I've been pumping every spare point possible into STR/DEX.

More to follow.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

IRC? Never heard of it...

My major complaint with both this and the previous game are that a few class and race choices are so optimal that the others just become subpar.

Healers (dwarf) are absolutely necessary, especially on hiigher difficulties due to how the economy works. Warriors (dwarf) are the best choice of fighters, hands down. Wizards (dwarf) are good choices (moreso in 2 than in the first). Everything else is either going to barely keep up or just be a hinderance.

None, or nearly none, of the hybrid classes are worth it. The same goes for the race special classes. Most special abilities are additive (!!!) So what looks like a decent, say, 10% bonus in practical terms is closer to 2 or 3%.

2 does improve on the QoL and some of the things you mention somewhat. I wish towns were still menus, though. The change to how weapons/armor/itemization are an overall improvement, I think. Encumbrance is still important but not the Most Important Stat.
Last edited by Acrux on December 20th, 2023, 16:38, edited 1 time in total.
Dorateen
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dorateen »

I played this on release, back in 2019. There have been a lot of updates and changes (especially to spells) since the original version. I'm trying to remember the frontline I went with: Barbarian, Champion and Dwarven Trollkiller. I loved the additional sub race options in order to finesse the stats. Managing buffs and using the character's talents is where I found the tactics to come into play on Hard difficulty, leveraging long and short rests. Also, picking your battles. This is an open adventure, and if you run into monsters that are proving too much for the party at the time, go somewhere else and come back when your characters are stronger.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Acrux wrote: December 20th, 2023, 06:25
So the "Acrux" chatting for hours about breaking into lockers at local sports clubs to steal money and sniff underwear "just to feel something" wasn't you, then?
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I'll buy the 2nd, even though @Randal says its got the same boring dungeons, just because it sounds like Silver Lemur improves other things.
Rand

Post by Rand »

maidenhaver wrote: December 20th, 2023, 16:43
I'll buy the 2nd, even though @Randal says its got the same boring dungeons, just because it sounds like Silver Lemur improves other things.
It's a general improvement in 2.
From sub-par, to just okay, but it's an improvement.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

Acrux wrote: December 20th, 2023, 06:25

My major complaint with both this and the previous game are that a few class and race choices are so optimal that the others just become subpar.

Healers (dwarf) are absolutely necessary, especially on hiigher difficulties due to how the economy works. Warriors (dwarf) are the best choice of fighters, hands down. Wizards (dwarf) are good choices (moreso in 2 than in the first). Everything else is either going to barely keep up or just be a hinderance.

None, or nearly none, of the hybrid classes are worth it. The same goes for the race special classes. Most special abilities are additive (!!!) So what looks like a decent, say, 10% bonus in practical terms is closer to 2 or 3%.

2 does improve on the QoL and some of the things you mention somewhat. I wish towns were still menus, though. The change to how weapons/armor/itemization are an overall improvement, I think. Encumbrance is still important but not the Most Important Stat.
Just beat it. I basically agree with all of this re: Amberlands 1. I will say I'm still looking forward to buying and beating 2.

I had Wizard, Ranger, Battlesmith, Warrior, Champion, Bard, Healer. After level 15 or so all the hybrids were either completely useless (Ranger), or relegated to buff bot status (and they sucked at even that). The Battlesmith could still do OK damage, but only because he was a dorf, which meant I could stick a badass axe on him. The Champion was ok, but he was an elf. I probably would have been better off going with a dorf Knight instead. The Bard was a mediocre backup healer who fell off hard after midgame (got Power Heal much later, never gets a decent group heal). I would probably go something like Elf Wizard, Elf Wizard, dorf Warrior, dorf Knight, dorf Warrior, Elf Healer/Half-Elf Bard (Heroic Ballad was clutch, and Inspiration is ok), Elf Healer.

Still, for its simplicity and my complaints, I had fun.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Elf healer, Human ranger, Human warrior, Human knight, Dwarf warrior, Human troubadour, Elf wizard

Rating: 3/5 - Okay game. Nothing special, but nothing wrong with it.

(Heroic ballad is only useful on higher difficulties. 50% success is 50% useless.)
Last edited by Rand on December 27th, 2023, 15:07, edited 3 times in total.

Post by 1998 »

Why normal? Hard was certainly default difficulty for Amberland 1.
Rand

Post by Rand »

1998 wrote: December 27th, 2023, 16:33
Why normal? Hard was certainly default difficulty for Amberland 1.
Because I took the devs at their word:

There is no default. You must choose.

And see that bit about prices on hard?
I will NEVER choose that as a game option. Same reason why I won't play above normal difficulty in Underrail (and use some CheatEngine hacks on it).
Last edited by Rand on February 7th, 2024, 18:25, edited 2 times in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

2 is definitely more silly.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

It looks like he's working on his first rebalance as a beta. I haven't tried it, but the one of the main things I see is that Dexterity is more important: enemies are now given a Dex score and it improves hit chance more. There's also respawning as an option.

@Rand - this part might be of interest to you
- [interface] Added list of known trainers locations to each individual skill level tooltip (the skill tooltip was frequently overlooked, now the information is duplicated which makes it much harder to overlook).

Post by 1998 »

Finally finished it, took me probably around 14h (left the game running in the background a couple of times).

Played on Hard, it didn't feel like too much of a grind and economy was also ok. Besides at the very beginning, I had plenty of gold to afford anything I needed.

I don't remember too many details of part 1, but if the map markers were indeed a new feature, well done. Otherwise, would totally play a 3rd one if he ever makes it.