Necesse: You got Terraria in my Rimworld!

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

Added it to my wishlist. This looks great.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Yeah, this looks like it might be the game I've been looking for in this genre.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I have it, but I haven't played it yet. I just finished Stardew Valley not too long ago so I didn't feel like playing another game in the genre.
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

I've been completely inundated with this genre(?) of games. Terraria, Factorio, Core Keeper, now this... I still have it wishlisted like the good consoomer I am, but of course it's early access. I might snatch it up on a sale, but otherwise I ain't touching it. Crafting is too often overrated and I would argue most of these games have an addicting gameplay rather than a fun one.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Rigwort wrote: March 15th, 2023, 19:38
of course it's early access
I wish Early Access wasn't so broad. It would be better if there were sub-categories:

A. the game is functionally complete, but it's a solo dev who will continue adding new features, finishing storylines, and tweaking balance. Sometimes these games will be in early access for years: Stellar Tactics, KeeperRL, Dead Monarchy
B. it's an alpha stage "idea" that sounds amazing and generates a lot of early money and publicity. It's unlikely to ever see a release (too many games to list)
C. We're almost done, calling it early access will get us a cash influx, and we'll only be in this stage for a few months. I know this has happened, but I can't think of an example.

This feels like category A to me. For some reason, I have a much higher toleration for purchasing and playing those than I do something that has an official release but then spends months or years afterward with patches.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

I played it and it's more of a 'work in progress' early access than 'this game is not ready to play' early access
if it interests you, pirate a copy and try it
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

New update with a few minor survival mechanics added.

@rusty_shackleford, I've barely touched this. Would this be a good candidate for having an HQ server?
A quick reminder before the update: When using mods it's a good idea to back up your saves. If you are experiencing problems you can still switch to an older version of the game by going to your Steam library -> Right-click Necesse -> Properties -> Betas -> Select the version -> Close the window and you will see it downloading the old version. Note: Older versions may have trouble loading new version saves.

Hey everyone!

It's finally time for another update, and first I just wanted to say thank you for all the feedback you give. It helps a ton and drives the direction that the game should be taken in. I may not interact with everything, but I still read all the reviews and the feedback given through the in-game form, on the Steam discussion board, and the Discord server. With that said, let's get into the update :)

The economy of Necesse is in a bit of a weird place, and a ton of you have said you wanted to see it being expanded on. I would love to do that down the road, and survival mode is intended to be one of the first steps in that direction. It introduces food spoilage, and your settlers possibly leaving you if they starve for too long, with plenty of warnings. Spoilage timers are pretty long and it's enabled by default, but can be toggled at any time in the world settings.

One of the most suggested features is being able to take your character to your friends' worlds or keep playing on your character after having played in someone else's world. This update now makes that possible by separating characters from worlds. As a world or server owner, you can still make players have to create and use characters only for that world, which can be toggled at any time in the world settings.

Along with this, more server features have been introduced. You can set a world border, max number of settlers per settlement, dropped items clean up, and a few more. I would also love to add more server and PvP features in the future, so thank you to the server owners I contacted for inspiration like Rottenprawn, Claytonia, DHRD, and probably some I forgot :D
You can find them in the official Discord server, if you want to try them out yourselves.

Last update the incursion system was introduced. This update introduces a new biome, gear, a boss, and a bunch of tweaks around it, like being able to craft lower tier essence from higher ones.
With all the feedback we got, I have started to rework the incursion progression system, but couldn't get it done for this update. This means that the upgrade station unfortunately still has no use, since it will be part of this rework. So stay tuned for the next update for that!

Adventure parties have also gotten a bunch of improvements that make them much more usable. You can now command your settlers anywhere, they will sprint to you if you get too far ahead of them and a couple of other improvements.

Melee has been super hard to balance with the style of Necesse combat. This update introduces a new mechanic called resilience, which is mostly found on melee gear. It's intended to give melee users more tankiness. It'll probably be tweaked in future patches, so let us know what you think :)

Some of the other features and changes in this update include:
Initial loading time and memory usage have been reduced significantly, which also means lower minimum memory requirements.
Reworked difficulties with more distinction between each one.
Increased base player movement speed slightly.
Music player can now have 10 vinyls, acting as a playlist.
Set bonuses now always show, but grayed out when inactive.
Incinerator to get rid of all your settlement's junk items.
Snowballs, snowmen, and candy canes.
A bunch of new server features.
And a bunch of other changes and fixes!
You can read the full changelog below.

Improved or complete graphics rework is also a big suggested feature. We now have 2 full-time artists working on a complete graphics overhaul. There is a small teaser of that below, which we would love to get some feedback on. The entire thing is still very much a work in progress, and we will also be looking for more feedback in the future.

December is upon us, so we also spent a little bit of time adding a few extra holiday themed items as well.

Happy holidays and a happy new year!
- Fair