We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Stargate Timekeepers

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

1998 wrote: December 27th, 2023, 17:06
RTT is one of the most defined genres out there. Commandos, Desperados, Robin Hood, Mimimi
I think you're struggling with reading comprehension. Yes, Commandos, Desperados et al are RTTs, but so are Blitzkrieg, Sudden Strike, Myth.

RTT is too broad a term to use for Commandos and its spiritual successors.

Post by 1998 »

gerey wrote: December 27th, 2023, 17:45
1998 wrote: December 27th, 2023, 17:06
RTT is one of the most defined genres out there. Commandos, Desperados, Robin Hood, Mimimi
I think you're struggling with reading comprehension. Yes, Commandos, Desperados et al are RTTs, but so are Blitzkrieg, Sudden Strike, Myth.

RTT is too broad a term to use for Commandos and its spiritual successors.
Never heard anyone referring to Myth as RTT. Name one genre name that is less broad or vague than RTT.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Wikipedia claims the genre includes games like Total War(??) and MechCommander 2(huh?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real-time_tactics

If someone asked me what kind of genre I thought games like Desperados belonged to, I'd probably have said some kind of weird real-time X-COM, I guess.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on December 27th, 2023, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

RTT isn't bad as a genre name. Especially compared to recently minted genre labels like "MOBA" or "gacha".
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

J1M wrote: December 27th, 2023, 19:40
RTT isn't bad as a genre name. Especially compared to recently minted genre labels like "MOBA" or "gacha".
I'm now convinced nobody in North America knew of this genre.

Post by 1998 »

Out now!

First review from a (paid)/free key account:
I couldn’t handle more than 10 minutes and moved onto something else. While not for me, try the demo first
Also:
Stargate: Timekeepers was created in collaboration with Amazon MGM Studios. Part two will be released later this year; when you purchase Stargate: Timekeepers you will have full access to all Episodes in both parts of the game.
Last edited by 1998 on January 23rd, 2024, 16:53, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 1998 »

Its RTT, no pause function is needed.

Pretty sure they never mentioned before they are only releasing half the game for full price now. Wouldn't expect the second half to release anyway, that thing will flop hard.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: December 28th, 2023, 01:09
Theory confirmed, bunch of reviews by people who have no idea what genre this game is.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

1998 wrote: January 23rd, 2024, 16:58
Its RTT, no pause function is needed.

Pretty sure they never mentioned before they are only releasing half the game for full price now. Wouldn't expect the second half to release anyway, that thing will flop hard.
This is new information, and helps explain how they were able to launch this year versus what I saw in the beta.

We should have a poll as to whether or not part 2 is ever released.
jcd

Post by jcd »

The Stargate franchise is cursed. I don't think it ever spawned a single good game (maybe gmod), even though theoretically the potential is high.

Post by 1998 »

Yeah, really a shame. Don't think anyone had crazy high expectations, but this here seems abysmal.

Another indicator for that: IGN loves it! 8/10
A challenging stealth tactics game that pays homage to the TV series.
https://www.ign.com/articles/stargate-t ... ers-review

Post by 1998 »

@J1M I know you likely signed an NDA, but maybe you can answer this: There are people on Steam claiming this has no actual Stargate in it. Is that true?
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

1998 wrote: January 25th, 2024, 16:07
@J1M I know you likely signed an NDA, but maybe you can answer this: There are people on Steam claiming this has no actual Stargate in it. Is that true?
That would be pretty funny. I didn't have the patience to play all of the missions available in beta.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Can't wait to pick this up for 80% off next month!

Seriously, most of the reviews sounds like they wanted it to be a different type of game. Is it okay if you like the genre? I like Robin Hood and the Commandos games, I didn't like Shadow Tactics or Desperados 3 so much.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

Acrux wrote: January 26th, 2024, 02:52
Can't wait to pick this up for 80% off next month!

Seriously, most of the reviews sounds like they wanted it to be a different type of game. Is it okay if you like the genre? I like Robin Hood and the Commandos games, I didn't like Shadow Tactics or Desperados 3 so much.
There is a demo.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Yeah, but that means I'd have to play it, which sounds like work. I'd rather go through the usual process of waiting for one of you to tell me whether it's good, get it, and then not ever play it and eventually forget I even have it in a couple of years.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 24th, 2024, 07:23
Theory confirmed, bunch of reviews by people who have no idea what genre this game is.
Recently found out that Myth is apparently considered a real-time tactics. I don't understand this genre.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 29th, 2024, 04:53
rusty_shackleford wrote: January 24th, 2024, 07:23

Recently found out that Myth is apparently considered a real-time tactics. I don't understand this genre.
Myth is tactics because you have the units you have. If there was a base where you build reinforcements it would be strategy. You can disagree, but that is where the line is.

Post by 1998 »

So, this got 120 all-time peak players and 71 reviews at 54% positive. Let's see if they really release the second half.