We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Project Gorgon: It doesn't suck.

For RPGs that require a persistently online connection.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Project Gorgon: It doesn't suck.

Post by rusty_shackleford »

It's on sale until later this month.

My small summary from 2 years ago when I stopped playing:
If you're curious of if there's enough content in EA to be worth buying: I put over 450 hours into it.
And I didn't run out of content, just shelving it for a bit from playing the same game too much.

...Surprisingly, I have very few complaints. The only major one is the diablo-tier itemization BUT it's not as bad due to how gear works with it directly affecting abilities(no flat +n stat gear) and there being so many different treasure mods you can roll. Still not a fan, but it is what it is.
OTOH, there is equipment as you get higher level that have innate builtin effects that make them much stronger than a comparable item of the same slot without those effects. Things like weapons that have a different damage type(which potentially opens a completely new playstyle e.g., there's a staff that does slash damage) to weapons that have completely unique ability sets that unlock while equipped.

I barely touched the faery realm and gazluk, btw, to give an idea of how much content I still have left. Those zones are both massive.

:5of5: / :5of5:
Easily one of the best MMOs available right now, and the best 'fresh' MMO you can play. I don't use this phrase often, but it's definitely a hidden gem.

The slow feeling of you getting more powerful/experienced -- in multiple areas -- and noticing it through the gameplay itself is something that other MMOs did away with completely. Hell, most cRPGs have nothing on Gorgon in this department.
Played and enjoyed by a few other HQ members like @Gregz, @Kalarion, and @Ranselknulf.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Emphyrio wrote: July 19th, 2023, 19:44
Its been in early access for 5 years?
Thats short for MMORPG/Vaporware.
Also can't hold a candle to Grindion Online
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

It has that rhythm game combat that I hate, thus it is shit.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

"it doesn't suck"
"i stopped playing it two years ago"

curious
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

I enjoyed it for a bit, but I stopped playing a while back because of the grind and my school cycle. I never picked it back up again because the lead developer's wife got cancer and I'm not sure the game will ever be complete.

It's probably a good thing to not pick it up again because it's way too much of a time sink. Right before I quit, people were getting mad at me because I was buying so much wood it was affecting the global economy and they accused me of breaking the game or some shit. Idk, the game is interesting, but the small community really makes the mentally ill stand out. Some people have really strong opinions of how a game should be played and if you don't play it in their style, then you are just wrong I suppose.

I'm sure you all know this from being veterans of the codex though.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Most recent review of the game from the steam link Rusty posted:

Vicar Tagnia - "Was fun for a good 200 hours. Went into a PvP zone. Killed someone who was fighting in the PvP zone. That person was a member of the admin team and got upset that he died, so my account was administratively punished. Seems kinda BS, so I put in a ticket in March. 2 months later and no response, so I stopped caring and stopped playing. "

The same sorta thing applies to non-pvp stuff as well.

GoreLord - "Hadn't played in a few months. Jumped in, ask a question in general, and got flamed by multiple people. Seems a lot of the cheery helpful folks have bailed. I'll gladly go back to OSRS."

The mentally ill people I was speaking of.
Decline

Post by Decline »

Ranselknulf wrote: July 20th, 2023, 00:03
I enjoyed it for a bit, but I stopped playing a while back because of the grind and my school cycle. I never picked it back up again because the lead developer's wife got cancer and I'm not sure the game will ever be complete.
The game is generally developed in a very... inexperienced way. The studio has some good ideas but not enough budget and manpower to pull off an MMO.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

Decline wrote: July 20th, 2023, 00:18
Ranselknulf wrote: July 20th, 2023, 00:03
The game is generally developed in a very... inexperienced way. The studio has some good ideas but not enough budget and manpower to pull off an MMO.
That was part of the charm of the game. I like mmo's that aren't necessarily massive, but still large enough to interact with people every day. It's why I like private server games with a 100-200 active players.

The issue with this game is their intense focus on their design and what gameplay "should" be and since the developers play the game, as soon as you do something they don't like, you get the axe. A small scale mmo works if the developers aren't leading guilds and stuff like that, but you'd be better of recreating this experience in a private mmo server somewhere and then donating if you enjoy the experience.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Looks like the developer's wife, who was diagnosed with cancer, doesn't have much time left. :(
Community raised a bunch of money for them.

Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

I played for a couple months. When I realized itemization followed Diablo II sensibilities I lost interest. Hilariously, my wife got hooked and is still playing, so now I get to see guild drama etc secondhand :D

For this kind of game, it's really really good. There are tons of ways to develop your character, and lots of exploring and crawling to do. Good/great game, just not for me (at least not as it is right now).
Rand

Post by Rand »

I played in the early, early beta years ago.
I wasn't impressed.
Anon

Post by Anon »

Fun game at start, but falls off at midgame when you don't have much to do and figured out the things. There are also some annoying bugs like the camera often doing a 180º once enemy comes in melee range (don't know if they fixed it already). Also heard a lot of bad stories about devs being kinda arrogant pricks and abusive towards critical players.

Saddened to hear the dev's wife having cancer though, nobody deserves to go through that.