RPG release/entered early access thread. Also upcoming.

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

RPG release/entered early access thread. Also upcoming.

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Making this thread because I don't want to spam news with minor releases, but still want to document games actually being released/entering early access. Therefore, expect less 'X enters early access' or 'X released' newsposts. :read:

The Last Spell left early access:
BlueMemphis
Turtle
Turtle

Post by BlueMemphis »

Was just debating whether to start a thread for that game as had my eye on it for a while.

On paper it seems like it ticks a lot of boxes i like, now just gotta hear the impressions of people who actually played it.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I tried the demo a long time ago and wasn't impressed. It felt too puzzley for me, and like one of those games where you're just trying to mitigate losses. But, I've seen a lot of praise for the tactical battles.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 10th, 2023, 04:44
This ...thing... released.
This unironically looks decent. A little overboard on the color, but at least it's different. I think I saw some first person melee in the first video on Steam too? I'm somewhat interested.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

GhostCow wrote: March 10th, 2023, 04:49
rusty_shackleford wrote: March 10th, 2023, 04:44
This ...thing... released.
This unironically looks decent. A little overboard on the color, but at least it's different. I think I saw some first person melee in the first video on Steam too? I'm somewhat interested.
It's a dork souls clone if you're interested in those, played it for about an hour. Runs decent.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I'd been keeping my eye on it since I liked Zeno Clash.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

ACE team can't design a decent gameplay to save their lives, but all their outings are very unique, at least from the visual standpoint. Really like the first Zeno Clash game.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

wndrbr wrote: March 10th, 2023, 12:20
ACE team can't design a decent gameplay to save their lives, but all their outings are very unique, at least from the visual standpoint. Really like the first Zeno Clash game.
I didn't find the gameplay offensive, I'm just not a fan of dork souls-likes. Controls felt decent, never felt like I was being hit when I shouldn't have or missed a hit when I shouldn't have. Main character moves fast and relies heavily on agility so I guess it's actually more like a Bloodborne-like? :scratch:
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

The first Zeno Clash game was good and I liked it a lot. Any game that lets me punch women and furries right in the face can't be all bad, but the second one was awful.
Lhynn
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lhynn »

Bought it, will be trying it out whenever I get the time.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Ash of the gods sequel(spinoff?) free prologue released, seems to be very well received. 96% positive on something anyone can try is nothing to sneeze at.

I actually played the original game after it was patched and it was pretty good. It still retained the awful combat it copied from Banner Saga, but otherwise quite good. The original game feels rather strange, few games quite hit the same feeling, hard to describe.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Bleak Faith came out a couple days ago. It's...
► Show Spoiler
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

SDG wrote: March 12th, 2023, 07:52
Bleak Faith came out a couple days ago
Apparently the devs have been caught using FROM Software assets (specifically, animations).
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Tried the demo, got about 3 minutes in and couldn't progress. Talking to the NPC does nothing. :(
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

gerey wrote: March 12th, 2023, 09:27
SDG wrote: March 12th, 2023, 07:52
Bleak Faith came out a couple days ago
Apparently the devs have been caught using FROM Software assets (specifically, animations).
Appears to be fake news. However, the person selling the asset might have ripped them from Elden Ring, but it wasn't done on purpose by the devs.
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/bleak-fa ... -responds/

https://www.unrealengine.com/marketplac ... SC&start=0
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

rusty_shackleford wrote: March 12th, 2023, 09:56
Tried the demo, got about 3 minutes in and couldn't progress. Talking to the NPC does nothing. :(
Seems to be fixed now. First impressions are: it has a fantastic intro. Don't want to spoil it, but you're thrown right into a diplomatic dispute you need to resolve involving your vassals.

It's inspired by Runescape which... surprisingly works well so far. Has the adventure game feel of Runescape, such as being able to 'use' any object on another object.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

Tweed wrote: March 10th, 2023, 14:14
The first Zeno Clash game was good and I liked it a lot. Any game that lets me punch women and furries right in the face can't be all bad, but the second one was awful.
neither of you played the 2nd one? lol.. also I don't know about "ACE team can't design a decent gameplay" the gameplay in ZC1/2 are fine, they are first person brawlers. The gameplay in Deadly Tower of Monsters is normal top-down/isometric shooting, the gameplay in Rock of Ages is normal 'building' and then moving a ball left and right. None of their games have bad gameplay, except maybe SolSeraph, which I haven't played.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

I played the second one, but I didn't finish it. It sucks. Poorly designed "open world" areas because people want to explore Zenozoik and the horrible respawn system for when people in your group get knocked out to say nothing of how useless your companions end up being most of the time.
Fargus

Post by Fargus »

Tweed wrote: March 16th, 2023, 12:19
I played the second one, but I didn't finish it. It sucks. Poorly designed "open world" areas because people want to explore Zenozoik and the horrible respawn system for when people in your group get knocked out to say nothing of how useless your companions end up being most of the time.
I liked beating the shit out of weird humanoids like in first game but the coop was broken.

The new game seem to be another souls-like turd.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

Tweed wrote: March 16th, 2023, 12:19
The fighting is better than the first and gets even better as you go but yeah the larger levels and adventure elements really bring the pacing down. The lore is interesting. I wouldn't say it "sucks", it's the definition of mid-tier, but it's not nearly as tight as the first game. The original intention from the start was to make something more like Oblivion than a straight up first-person brawler (I think the hand-to-hand combat was still the focus, but it was meant to be an open world RPG) and ZC2 is a very half-assed attempt at expanding the areas.. Seems Clash: Artifacts of Chaos is trying to do what ZC2 failed at.

also they were going to call the game "Zenozoic" but Valve convinced them to change the name so they changed it to Zeno Clash.. and they didn't call this ZC3 because it has nothing to do w/ the story of ZC/Ghat and is set a long time before ZC according to the devs.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Brinefall just came onto my radar, releases in about 9 hours.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

rusty_shackleford wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 02:56
Getting a Balrum feel from this game.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Received very poor reviews.
Acrux wrote: April 3rd, 2023, 07:25
Getting a Balrum feel from this game.
I quite liked Balrum.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

Eh, maybe superficially. They are nothing alike, though.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Archmage Rises releases into early access in less than two weeks.

Game known for extensive feature creep, will be interesting to see how this goes.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Zoria: Age of Shattering releases into early access later this month. Looking decidedly less like a Divinity Original Sin clone than when it was first previewed.