We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Capcom adding DRM to older titles to prevent modding; performance loss included as a feature, not a bug

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
Segata
Turtle
Turtle

Capcom adding DRM to older titles to prevent modding; performance loss included as a feature, not a bug

Post by Segata »

https://gbatemp.net/threads/capcom-star ... am.646083/

https://www.pcgamesn.com/resident-evil/ ... eview-bomb
Resident Evil: Revelations was one such title, in which Capcom added a sneaky update on January 8th for Steam, which seemed to fix a couple bugs still remaining from the release (like fixing Jill's Samurai Edge's weapon recognition), but also added Enigma Protector DRM, which started to cause issues with mods already installed for the game, causing it to crash. Mega Man Zero/ZX Collection, Mega Man Battle Network Collection and Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective have also been titles affected by this intrusive DRM update by Capcom as well.

The "Enigma Protector" DRM is yet another type of protection for executable files, and when implemented into games, it basically strips away the option to use cheats and mods into said games through a series of memory checks. Adding to this, it's important to note that a lot of Capcom's older titles up to this day still retain a lot of bugs, glitches, and even possible game breaking issues, which to this day have yet to be addressed officially by Capcom, and leaves only the fanbase to take action and fix some of these issues through mods, and with the inclusion of this DRM, some of these fanmade fixes could end up being completely broken, effectively rendering certain older games unplayable to some users.

However, the issues don't stop with just disabling modding and cheats for single player games, but it also has been confirmed to cause performance issues in titles with this DRM implemented, reducing framerate for some titles from 10 to up to 20 fps in some dire cases.
Embrace the future, lads.
Last edited by Segata on January 13th, 2024, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

This may set a precedent for retroactive alterations of older games. Content too triggering?, not to worry the devs will memory hole it in due time. Steam forcing auto-updates will help this tremendously. One of many reasons I only buy games from GOG.
Vaako

Post by Vaako »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 13th, 2024, 16:31
it's a good thing capcom makes zero games worth playing
RE4 remake was pretty good, especially if you havent played the original. But if they make it unmoddeable I will try to refund that game, even if I am already done playing it.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: January 13th, 2024, 16:31
it's a good thing capcom makes zero games worth playing
I liked Revelations well enough. The sequel was better.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Capcom going the route of danger-haired they/thems, trying to fight evil nazis who give female characters breasts and feminine faces.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

This shit is so pointless. It always ends up getting cracked so the only people getting punished are paying customers. Thankfully like others have said crapcom mostly releases dogshit and remakes now so it's not like I'll be missing out on much.