We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R - Releases Nov 2nd on PC and Switch

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
ontopoly

STAR OCEAN THE SECOND STORY R - Releases Nov 2nd on PC and Switch

Post by ontopoly »

It may be weeb adjacent but still an exciting release for anyone who wants 1990s degeneracy rather than 2020s degeneracy. Side scrolling action combat in a mix of sci-fi fantasy.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

- The changes they made to the combat are good IMO
- They let you pick universe (hard) difficulty on your first playthrough
- New overworld, including new chests on the overworld
- Points of interest on the overworld that weren't there before
- Fishing was added
- Misc changes to specialties and crafting, most of which appear to be good
- IMO, the new aesthetics are cringe with pixelated sprites on top of it.
Last edited by somerandomdude on October 18th, 2023, 00:40, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

That graphics style is vomit. They did it to Dragon Warrior, whichever one is getting the remaster. Who likes this? If you can't play the original, barring some speed hacks and cheats, you're unworthy of the game. All those chucklenuts who'd post "this game needs a remaster" in youtube comments were the real enemies of western civilization.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

rusty_shackleford wrote: October 18th, 2023, 01:21
That 2D on 3D aesthetic looks so fucking ugly.
The enb looking after effects are worse. Its grainy. If they had given the 2d sprites an early 3d treatment, that'd be ok.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

A lot of pointless effort went into the newfag look that few are going to like or appreciate.

Please don't pay for this shit and give squeenix a reason to continue this look in future games.

Trash and pass, or pirate the switch version.
Last edited by somerandomdude on October 18th, 2023, 02:01, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

ontopoly wrote: October 17th, 2023, 23:03

It may be weeb adjacent but still an exciting release for anyone who wants 1990s degeneracy rather than 2020s degeneracy. Side scrolling action combat in a mix of sci-fi fantasy.
Voice acting is a mistake.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

maidenhaver wrote: October 18th, 2023, 04:03
WhiteShark wrote: October 18th, 2023, 04:00
Looks fun. I haven't played the original. Was it good?
I don't take advice from women tbh.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on October 18th, 2023, 05:27, edited 1 time in total.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Assuming you're married, I know that's bullshit.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Playing it now pirated via Yuzu Emulator at 1440p. Game looks incredibly pretty. I'm liking the 2d/3d style a lot. Reminds me of old PS1 RPGs, except at higher resolutions.

SoLong

Post by SoLong »

Huh. It does look very pretty. For some reason the artstyle and presentation reminds me of FFIX but with more pixels.

Unfortunately the only Star Ocean game I ever played had such a dogshit ending that it kinda turned me off the franchise.
Last edited by SoLong on December 23rd, 2023, 19:26, edited 1 time in total.
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

SoLong wrote: December 23rd, 2023, 19:25
Huh. It does look very pretty. For some reason the artstyle and presentation reminds me of FFIX but with more pixels.

Unfortunately the only Star Ocean game I ever played had such a dogshit ending that it kinda turned me off the franchise.
only the first 3 Star Ocean games are good, unfortunately. The ones made by the original team.

Star Ocean 4, 5 and now 6 (latest one) are incredibly average, with 5 being legitimately below-average (if not outright BAD). I just finished SO 6 and honestly i think it may be my last one, was just a completely tedious and dull chore to get through. SO7 needs to show it's fucking amazing before i decide to play it.

I'm playing the SO2 Remake because SO 1-3 are actually worth playing. I wouldn't mind a remake of SO 3 either.