We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Happy Advent

Surely this will be a civilized forum
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Happy Advent

Post by Acrux »

Happy Advent! Post any Advent or Christmas music you like, or any traditions you have to celebrate the holiday.

The only thing T.S. Eliot wrote worth reading.

And remember - the "12 days of Christmas" begins ON Christmas Day. For the past couple of years, my family has been trying to make a habit of actually celebrating those days to Epiphany, and I've personally found it to be rewarding. The kids get their big presents on Christmas Day, and we have smaller gifts and family activities throughout the period. It's a nice way to slow down after Christmas.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I can't find a recording of the one we were practicing - maybe we can make one later - but we, the choir, have started working on a Georgian Nativity hymn to add to our repertoire. Apparently Georgian hymns are always three parts, pretty interesting sound. Singing below the melody line instead of above it is throwing me for a loop.

Of course, we've also broken out the Nativity binder with all our usual stuff in it and we're getting the new guy up to speed. I feel bad for him because we have many hymns for which the tenor part is either not printed at all, is present but contains errors, or is simply not what we actually sing, but I have digressed.

We sing stuff like this (though our choir is only 6-8 people):

This in particular is a favorite:
Last edited by WhiteShark on December 4th, 2023, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.
Kalarion
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Kalarion »

I'll post some good ol' Burger for everyone.

First up, Josh Turner (I really like Josh Turner):

King-sized Manger. Josh's invention, I like it because it's simple, folksy and cleaves to the truth of Christmas.

Joy to the World. Inserting swing for sing in ..."and heaven and nature sing" is annoying as hell, but it's the only liberty he took. He's notably exceptional in that his live recordings of hymns are almost always played totally straight, one of the reasons I love him so much.

Stille Genacht, Heile Genacht (Silent Night, Holy Night). Probably my favorite Christmas carol, and (again) he sings it totally straight.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

This is a collage of carols from Transylvania. (Transylvanians themselves rarely use the official name, a casual way of referring to Transylvania is by naming it "Ardeal" - just in case you were confused about the title)
In any case, all of the songs are in Romanian, but just in case you felt a bit experimental, there it is...

Slavic Sorcerer

Post by Slavic Sorcerer »

I never miss a chance to post it

Jokes aside

This one really takes me back to my times in the church choir, and the high school choir I was part of.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

May God bless you all and grant you a profitable fast.

Last edited by Wretch on December 5th, 2023, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Posting some more Christmas music.

Medieval music is good all year round but I especially like the Christmas stuff.

And my favorite Christmas carol.