We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Yugioh

For all your tabletop & board game needs.
Bah! They don't even play at physical tabletops anymore.
Wretch

Yugioh

Post by Wretch »

What are everyone’s thoughts on Yugioh? It seems pretty popular at most game stores around my area. I remember playing it a bit when I was a kid but not too much else about it. Even in the short time I did play I remembered there being a lot of powercreep to it. I did a bit of looking into the modern scene and it seems pretty goofy, though I also found something called speed duels which ironically is apparently a much slower paced format with older cards and a theme more closely resembling the show. Speed duels at least seems possible worthwhile.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Lootbox based sales model, avoid.

-Humbaba
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Humbaba wrote: December 10th, 2023, 20:57
Lootbox based sales model, avoid.

-Humbaba
This definitely seems to be the case for the normal format but from what I understand the sped duel format has sets that can be essentially played as a standalone boardgame. They aren't very pricey either at around $30.
A Chinese opium den

Post by A Chinese opium den »

Modern Yugioh has its appeal to autistic men, but unfortunately because of that is has become slowly more and more infested with trannies and vtubers with their chasers. If you can enjoy playing it online and not physically Master Duel is actually pretty good, and they have a separate ban list from the paper formats, but you have to deal with people actually on average being able to afford the meta decks since the sim is pretty f2p friendly. If you aren't into modern card games or don't want to deal with the powercreep then honestly rush duels is good for nostalgic people and has a much more casual player base.
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Post by J1M »

If you are chasing trends then you should be buying Lorcana. They are printing it until it stops selling, so don't buy it as an investment.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

It's time to d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-DUEL!
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

One of my best friends was addicted to the tabletop version of this game for a while, dumping thousands of dollars on it.

He told me it used to be an amazing game, and it is now shit.

I believe him, so... avoid at all costs.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Ttcgs cost more to get competitive at than wargames, if cost is an issue. At least that's what pokemon cards taught me.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

I never saw the appeal of the Yugioh card game. The card art was too weird and cartoonish. Didn't have cool illustrations like Seb McKinnon's or Kev Walker's art for MTG, or appealing designs like Pokemon.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

The_Mask wrote: December 12th, 2023, 00:21
One of my best friends was addicted to the tabletop version of this game for a while, dumping thousands of dollars on it.

He told me it used to be an amazing game, and it is now shit.

I believe him, so... avoid at all costs.
Yeah, the modern form of yugioh has no appeal to me at all. The card art is awful waifu stuff, the themes are cringe and lackluster, the gameplay15 minute solitaire turns, and the cost and predatory sales tactics would be a nope on their own.

The older stuff was a ton of fun as a kid though.
Wretch

Post by Wretch »

Val the Moofia Boss wrote: December 12th, 2023, 00:47
I never saw the appeal of the Yugioh card game. The card art was too weird and cartoonish. Didn't have cool illustrations like Seb McKinnon's or Kev Walker's art for MTG, or appealing designs like Pokemon.
Yugioh was specifically designed and marketed to low iq people which is why it was so appealing to me.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Wretch wrote: December 13th, 2023, 00:52
Val the Moofia Boss wrote: December 12th, 2023, 00:47
Yugioh was specifically designed and marketed to low iq people which is why it was so appealing to me.
I think it was designed for children, not people.
Dead
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Dead »

I only played a little. Its mechanics seemed less well-considered than other card games like MTG or MECCG. There didn't seem to be much space to develop the game than making it increasingly degenerate. This is true for all collectible card games that existed long enough, but much more so with Yugioh.