We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

PC shuts down while playing graphics-intensive games

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

PC shuts down while playing graphics-intensive games

Post by wndrbr »

PC shuts down while playing graphics-intensive games, event log says "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered". At first I thought it was overheating, but tried checking temperatures and it was fine. PC specs: ryzen 7 3700x, RTX 3070ti, 32gb ram (two 16gb sticks), win10.

Googling gave me a bunch of possible explanations, but none of them worked so far. Tried deleting (using DDU) and reinstalling video drivers, tried installing old drivers. Checked PSU, reorganized my cable management, removed some dust just in case - it didn't help. Someone said that fast startup could cause issues, I tried disabling it and it didn't help.

Has anyone encountered something like this?
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

I've read that enabling user permissions to full control for nvlddmkm.sys may fix this issue... but nvlddmkm.sys is missing in system32.
Rand

Post by Rand »

wndrbr wrote: October 31st, 2023, 02:05
PC shuts down while playing graphics-intensive games, event log says "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered". At first I thought it was overheating, but tried checking temperatures and it was fine. PC specs: ryzen 7 3700x, RTX 3070ti, 32gb ram (two 16gb sticks), win10.

Googling gave me a bunch of possible explanations, but none of them worked so far. Tried deleting (using DDU) and reinstalling video drivers, tried installing old drivers. Checked PSU, reorganized my cable management, removed some dust just in case - it didn't help. Someone said that fast startup could cause issues, I tried disabling it and it didn't help.

Yes, but on an old PC.
It was the PSU that was the problem.
FPYockey

Post by FPYockey »

I had this issue and it was my graphics card dying thats probably what it is.
agentorange

Post by agentorange »

computer is trying to kill itself because you keep playing so much slop on it
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

Either dying GPU, PSU or motherboard.

Last time I had this start happening it escalated to shutting off outside of games as well, and then eventually shut off permanently. Switched out the PSU with an old one I had laying around but no joy, put in new RAM sticks I bought but no joy (the motherboard gave the error code for RAM, btw); so I took it to a Crispy shop and the guy said it was the motherboard. Replaced the motherboard and put in all of the original components (so NOT the new RAM I bought, the original RAM) and voila, everything still working to this day.

Having an old PSU to quickly test whether or not it was the PSU is a HUGE time-saver. Can literally save you possibly days of troubleshooting simply being able to immediately tell whether it's the PSU or not. See if you can't borrow a PSU from someone else? After eliminating the PSU from the list of possibilities you're left with RAM and motherboard.

And, at least from my experience that I just described, motherboard error codes are useful except if it's the motherboard that's dying, then it spits out wrong codes. Like I mentioned in my case the mobo started giving out the bad RAM code, but it was just garbage output.
Last edited by aweigh on October 31st, 2023, 03:19, edited 1 time in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

I guess i'm just going to kill myself.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

you can easily test if it's the PSU by using furmark
if it's the PSU your PC will shut down pretty much as soon as it starts
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Oh, forgot to mention. I tried furmark, it worked perfectly fine.
Val the Moofia Boss
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Val the Moofia Boss »

In 2021 my AMD RX 570 began to malfunction and I began experiencing GPU crashes for any game of moderate graphical intensity, such as Mass Effect 1 or FF14, or emulating a PS1 or SNES game on RetroArch at 4k with CRT shaders applied and using turbo mode. I then upgraded to a Nvidia RTX 3070 and haven't had any problems since.
Shillitron
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Shillitron »

Are you using SLI in {current_year} ?
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Shillitron wrote: October 31st, 2023, 03:35

Are you using SLI in {current_year} ?
You can't even do SLI with a 3070. SLI is completely dead now.
Rand

Post by Rand »

aweigh wrote: October 31st, 2023, 03:19

Either dying GPU, PSU or motherboard.

Last time I had this start happening it escalated to shutting off outside of games as well, and then eventually shut off permanently. Switched out the PSU with an old one I had laying around but no joy, put in new RAM sticks I bought but no joy (the motherboard gave the error code for RAM, btw); so I took it to a Crispy shop and the guy said it was the motherboard. Replaced the motherboard and put in all of the original components (so NOT the new RAM I bought, the original RAM) and voila, everything still working to this day.

Having an old PSU to quickly test whether or not it was the PSU is a HUGE time-saver. Can literally save you possibly days of troubleshooting simply being able to immediately tell whether it's the PSU or not. See if you can't borrow a PSU from someone else? After eliminating the PSU from the list of possibilities you're left with RAM and motherboard.

And, at least from my experience that I just described, motherboard error codes are useful except if it's the motherboard that's dying, then it spits out wrong codes. Like I mentioned in my case the mobo started giving out the bad RAM code, but it was just garbage output.
I had a motherboard die without codes.
It turns out that several of the big caps that seem to be regulating power to the CPU went bad.
When I looked, they were a bit bulgey on the tops and bottoms.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Might be silly, but have you tried checking if the card is slotted properly? Or simply try taking it out of the slot and put it back in? I've had a friend whose card kept crashing his system under heavy loads at random and after extensive troubleshooting and finding nothing wrong, he tried taking the card out and putting it back in, ensuring it was properly set, and it "magically" fixed his issues.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

gerey wrote: October 31st, 2023, 07:53
Might be silly, but have you tried checking if the card is slotted properly? Or simply try taking it out of the slot and put it back in? I've had a friend whose card kept crashing his system under heavy loads at random and after extensive troubleshooting and finding nothing wrong, he tried taking the card out and putting it back in, ensuring it was properly set, and it "magically" fixed his issues.
yeah i tried that. It slotted properly, pci-e lock clicked. The card itself is really damn big and heavy, maybe i should buy an anti sag bracket.
Rand

Post by Rand »

wndrbr wrote: October 31st, 2023, 08:01
maybe i should buy an anti sag bracket
Deffo get a bracket or adjustable post.
Pipeweed

Post by Pipeweed »

is there a coredump? it explicitly says its a driver issue? i'd test on linux
Last edited by Pipeweed on October 31st, 2023, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

I didn't get this error message but I had similar symptoms and the solution was to run the windows update repair tool.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

The only solution is renounce gaming forever. Look at it as a new beginning, you had shit taste, anyway.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

Did you check memory junction temps and hotspot temps on your GPU with HWiNFO64?

On older GPUs the memory junction or hot spot temps can be considerably hotter than core temps.
somerandomdude

Post by somerandomdude »

You can try under volting your card with MSI curve editor. I've done this on several GPUs, and it works pretty well.

You'll lower temps and power draw, if what you're experiencing is related to either, this might fix it.

Slavic Sorcerer

Post by Slavic Sorcerer »

I've had something like this for a year

Turns out my graphic card was at fault. Not because of specification but something went wrong with it. It worked, but was struggling with games having intensive graphics
Sometimes it would work on a blessed day, but more than often it just shutting down the PC and booting it again

It might be difficult, but if you have someone that would lend your their graphic curd for a test run, you can see if there is something wrong with the graphic card itself

Before that I wiped out the system and installed everything anew, thinking it's software issue (cleaning didn't help and other physical examinations proved nothing) - all in vain
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

It could still be the PSU, even if it doesn't fuck up in furmark, but I doubt it. Ampere is know for big random power spikes that a lot of power supplies can't handle. Personally I would try wiping the ssd and reinstall everything from scratch. That's always my last resort and it usually works.
BENEFACTOR

Post by BENEFACTOR »

Maybe overheating? Never had problems like that with any MAC i've owned, only windows computers.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Reduced the amount of crashes by switching to "maximum performance" in nvidia control panel. During the last four days it only crashed once.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

wndrbr wrote: November 5th, 2023, 08:40
Reduced the amount of crashes by switching to "maximum performance" in nvidia control panel. During the last four days it only crashed once.
This is a common common fix and all of us in this thread are retarded for not thinking of it.
Lutte
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Lutte »

GhostCow wrote: November 5th, 2023, 13:46
wndrbr wrote: November 5th, 2023, 08:40
This is a common common fix and all of us in this thread are retarded for not thinking of it.
Eh, to me it sounds like the GPU might have some damage and changing this setting just masks it for a while before it gets aggravated. If it ran fine for months without any issue without using the max performance profile, and it suddenly acted up recently, and doing this fixes it, it's possible that what triggered the issue in the electronics is fluctuation of temperatures causing mechanical stress (thermal expansion and contraction cycles) and that using the max perf profile causes the GPU to settle around a certain high temperature, making it go through fewer of said cycles during gameplay - whereas a normal or economy power profile will fluctuate more heavily depending on the scenes as the GPU powers down whenever it can afford to. Of course, for thermal stress - within acceptable ranges, to cause issues, it means the hardware has a fault to begin with.

It's /never/ normal to have to mess with power profiles just to stop crashes from happening. A healthy computer doesn't constantly crash out of the fucking box.
Last edited by Lutte on November 7th, 2023, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.