We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Editing Spell list in Baldur's Gate 3

Game development hub. Projects, modding, and resources.
Slavic Sorcerer

Editing Spell list in Baldur's Gate 3

Post by Slavic Sorcerer »

I didn't want to make a new thread, but I would love to get some help on this.
Well, I ended up making a topic.
I also figured it might help other people.

I want to learn how to edit spell lists for classes and make mod out of it.

The end effect I have in mind is akin to Budget Divine Soul.
In this case, the spell list of a Sorcerer also includes spells from the Cleric's list.

Simple as that.

Another example would be giving Clerics access to Ray of Frost cantrip or Moonbeam spell, as if they were their own spells.

I could post those mods here if someone's interested; it's rather thematic edits and tweaks in mind.
Like allowing Druid to cast Harm and other necromancy spells, or creating Clerics revolving around specific damage type (e.g. Frost Cleric).

Unfortunately I cannot find a concrete answer how to do so; not at least in somewhat coherent form.
Also, I'm kinda new to this.

While I'm familiar with Cheat Engine and editing scripts in it (and overall simple changes I do either blindly or with a guide), I would be forever grateful for simple step-by-step guide for noobs how its done.
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on October 25th, 2023, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.
Rand

Post by Rand »

Pretty sure that shit's either hardcoded or there's tags in the spells that link it to tags in the classes (not the programming kind of classes).

But I'm guessing.
Last edited by Rand on October 25th, 2023, 15:09, edited 1 time in total.
Slavic Sorcerer

Rand wrote: October 25th, 2023, 15:09
Pretty sure that shit's either hardcoded or there's tags in the spells that link it to tags in the classes (not the programming kind of classes).

But I'm guessing.
I imagine it being either list based or tag based. I doubt it's hardcoded.
Slavic Sorcerer

rusty_shackleford wrote: October 25th, 2023, 12:30
Might want to tag someone like @orinEsque, he might know more.
Thanks, I really appreciate that.
orinEsque

Post by orinEsque »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: October 25th, 2023, 18:52
I have no idea unfortunately. Never tried modding before last week. However, I did see some mods on nexus that adds/edits spells. You might want to download and decompile it to figure out how they did it. Or just ask the creator if that doesn't work.
Slavic Sorcerer

orinEsque wrote: October 27th, 2023, 13:49
Slavic Sorcerer wrote: October 25th, 2023, 18:52
I have no idea unfortunately. Never tried modding before last week. However, I did see some mods on nexus that adds/edits spells. You might want to download and decompile it to figure out how they did it. Or just ask the creator if that doesn't work.
Thanks a lot for the reply
I started combining crumbs of information I've found so far
Wish me luck!
Slavic Sorcerer

Alright, I'm slowly figuring out how it works
I know not many people might be interested in it, but it might help people in the future

Using GR2 Tools I noticed it is indeed as I expected - it's just the list of spells for each class on an appropriate level
There are 2 SpellList.lsx files in Shared.pak, one in Shared, the other in SharedDev

No idea if that's how it should be cause it's kinda bold of me for experimenting on Shared files of an already modded game
But even after uninstalling the mods I had and trying it again - it was still the same

I used TT accurate Bard spells mod and it looks like this. The mod add spells to Bard's spell list, making it more accurate to the table top version:
► Show Spoiler
I figured the spells for classes that memorize spells every level (Bards, Sorcerers, Warlocks) include repeated spells to pick at any character level

For classes that prepare spells (Clerics, Druids) it looks like this (base Cleric, domains have their own strings, and cantrips are in the other SpellList.pak located in Shared folder):
► Show Spoiler
I also know now why this mod ran into conflict with BudgetDivineSoul.

BDS is just a simple edit of the list that contains ALL the classes, including base Bard
When both of them are installed, BDS dominates Bard TT Spells
Rand

Post by Rand »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: October 27th, 2023, 17:08

BDS is just a simple edit of the list that contains ALL the classes, including base Bard
If only they used Lua.
So much easier to mod with as you'd just have a small addendum of the changed entries and it would do a mod-order sequential merge on startup.
Slavic Sorcerer

Rand wrote: October 27th, 2023, 18:35

If only they used Lua.
So much easier to mod with as you'd just have a small addendum of the changed entries and it would do a mod-order sequential merge on startup.
I can imagine it might be much easier
I don't complain tho

Maybe its just autism kicking in, but the more time I spend looking at it, the more easier to read it becomes
All my understanding of programming/modding is just gut feeling

I figured out I could just do it the same way TT Bard spell list is done - instead of editing the whole file, just a separate list, and let ModManager do its thing
That way I won't run into conflicts like one list overriding the other

The whole potential for simple mods like that already gives me lots of inspiration
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on October 27th, 2023, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
orinEsque

Post by orinEsque »

Slavic Sorcerer wrote: October 27th, 2023, 21:08

If only they used Lua.
I don't complain tho

Maybe its just autism kicking in, but the more time I spend looking at it, the more easier to read it becomes

I figured out I could just do it the same way TT Bard spell list is done - instead of editing the whole file, just a separate list, and let ModManager do its thing

The whole potential for simple mods like that already gives me lots of inspiration
XML is neither rocket science nor programming. Snide remarks aside, I came here to ask if you could put that little guide for spell changing in this thread so we can find it easily: viewtopic.php?t=1090-npc-modders-resour ... r-s-gate-3
Slavic Sorcerer

orinEsque wrote: October 28th, 2023, 02:06
Slavic Sorcerer wrote: October 27th, 2023, 21:08

If only they used Lua.
I don't complain tho

XML is neither rocket science nor programming. Snide remarks aside, I came here to ask if you could put that little guide for spell changing in this thread so we can find it easily: viewtopic.php?t=1090-npc-modders-resour ... r-s-gate-3
Damn, it kinda felt like it xD
But yeah, I know it's not rocket science. I'm just excited. I always though I'm too dumb to do this

And sure thing. I'll experiment, find an optimal path, and post a coherent tutorial there
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on October 28th, 2023, 09:41, edited 3 times in total.
Slavic Sorcerer

Insignificant update, but an update that will halt making a guide (cause I want it to have everything in one place)

While I managed to add Ray of Frost as a cantrip to Cleric, the spells I added to all circles from 1 to 6 are not showing up.
Still figuring out what I did wrong

Unfortunately mods out there only add domains, so I have no reference into changing base list of Cleric spells
I could edit just the domain spells (as 'always prepared', but the goal is to expand overall spellbook

EDIT: waiting for Larians to accept my account on their forums. Maybe someone will shine light onto what I'm doing wrong, cause so far it doesn't work beyond adding cantrips.

EDIT 2: account was already accepted. Hopefully when America wakes up someone replies
In the meantime I might work on some thematic mods for Bard, Warlock, or Sorcerer. We'll see
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on October 28th, 2023, 22:11, edited 3 times in total.
Slavic Sorcerer

Editing Cleric spell list seems not to work at all. Cantrips are free game, but Spells are not for some reason

Anyway, I'll move onto other stuff, and prepare a guide for other casters. I'll update it with Cleric should a mod appear or someone answers on Larian forums

Discord only confirmed my suspicions that something else is at play
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on October 29th, 2023, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
Slavic Sorcerer

It didnt work cause I'm such a retard faggot

I forgot that sometimes when you uninstall the mods they still can be present
All I had to do was to create a save where no mods are installed, quit the game, install my mod, boot the game again, and voila - it works
Some mods are overriding my spell lists it seems

I will be posting the guide in few days
Last edited by Slavic Sorcerer on October 29th, 2023, 16:14, edited 1 time in total.