We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Wiz Llewyglyn Saga

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
maidenhaver

Wiz Llewyglyn Saga

Post by maidenhaver »

If a bro can pm me with knowledge of an english copy.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

There is no separate English edition, but you can change the language to English in the menu.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Yes, thank you! Duckstation is the greatest. So many psx games on my phone.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Is the PS1 version the same as the SNES one?

Also, I recall it being available on Dreamcast too or something.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

I was playing SMT and haven't booted it up yet, but I will take a peek.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

No, the visuals are new to the psx. They're dithery. There are English options. The only issue is character names are not translated, so I wonder if that'll be a problem later. So far, only character names aren't translated...
aweigh
Turtle
Turtle

Post by aweigh »

rusty_shackleford wrote: October 12th, 2023, 03:33
Is the PS1 version the same as the SNES one?

Also, I recall it being available on Dreamcast too or something.
Different remakes. SNES versions have beautiful 2d sprite art and a great MIDI OST that's extremely catchy, while the PS1 versions have polygonal graphics and a more 'realistic' style to the monster sprites, along with a more subdued (but pretty) orchestral music score. PS1 version also has options for enabling wireframe dungeons and using the old 8-bit sprites, as well as an optional automap.

On SNES there is the Llylgamyn Saga remake which is Wiz scenarios 1-3, and then a SNES version of Wiz 5, and additionally a later SNES version of Wiz 6. On PS1 the Llylgamyn Saga collection covers Wizardry scenarios 1-5, so it's also the only place with a remake of Wiz 4.

My *personal* preference is playing Wiz 1-3 on SNES, then 4 and 5 on PS1. But really, either of the remake versions will do you fine. I just prefer the beautiful art of the SNES games. However, the PS1 version of Wiz 5 is wholly superior to the SNES version, as the SNES version of 5 was made by different dev team than the one who made the 1-3 remakes.

TLDR (IMO):

Wiz 1-3 on SNES, 4 and 5 on ps1 is the optimal way.

But regardless, I do not recommend the SNES version of 5 at all, it has a bunch of things that downgrade it that I don't have the energy to type out right now. PS1 version of 5 is, on the other hand, excellent. Also check out Wizardry Gaiden 4: Beat of the Demon's Heart on SNES, a very good Wizardry game.

EDIT: Not on Dreamcast but there is a Saturn version which is a port of the PS1 Llylgamyn Saga. There is also a Japanese Windows PC port of the PS1 Llylgamyn Saga but it's basically unplayable and (IMO) inferior to the PS1 collection.
Last edited by aweigh on October 12th, 2023, 04:15, edited 8 times in total.