We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Barotrauma Baby

HQ's curated game reviews.
Submission Guidelines & Review Process.

Moderator: Game Review Reviewer

Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Barotrauma Baby

Post by Ratcatcher »

What is Barotrauma?

A game featuring great atmosphere:

Moments of great tension, allowing one's honor to shine

Betrayal!

Moar Betrayal!

And double crossing!

Barotrauma is a sci-fi submarine simulator, set on the most famous icy moon in our Solar system, Jupiter's Europa. It's a game with a STRONG mp focus, that takes more than one page from Space Station 13 school of design but also features incredible in-depth game play mechanics. The game does have a single player campaign and, contrary to popular belief it's perfectly playable AND completable in sp. The point is, it requires a sufficiently autistic mind to be properly appreciated solo.
Other generic things you need to know before we delve deep is, the game has a sub editor, allowing anyone to modify and design ships from scratch and is also highly moddable. Plenty of great mods already expand the base experience well beyond what's initially offered here.

During game, you assume the role and control directly a single crew member. Your vision, the amount of data you get from the various systems, it's all relative to WHERE you are inside your ship. During sp you can freely switch control among all your crew members and it's very important to do so. When playing mp you assume a specific role and play at the best of your abilities (or not, 'member ss13).
The game has a hierarchy system so, for example, a captain can pretty much access all his ship's systems, rooms and containers, as can any security officer. Medics can access everything related to medicine and toxins but the ship's armory and brig will probably be forbidden to them. A mechanic, usually, cannot tamper with the nuclear fuel storage and so on. Ofc all this is easily by passable in sp but in mp it forces you to play your role or be creative.

Putting this all together means, if you wish to use your sonar, you must be present near the necessary systems with one of your crew members. You wish to shoot from a specific angle? Better have the correct periscope manned then. In sp you can ofc rely on bots, they can be ordered around and be given up to 3 different tasks, in descending order of importance. If you read the Steam forums you'll find plenty of complaints about Barotrauma's bots but that's just because the average gamer is shtoopid. Anyone that has a modicum of experience organizing a fortress of dwarves will have no issues in deciding who should be doing what, with which priority and ultimately how many crew members you need to have your chosen sub function properly (some are fuckhuge and def designed for MP shenanigans, I suggest modded subs for sp, more on that later)

The specific roles you can play as also differ in the initial level of skill (Helm, Weapons, Engineering, Mechanics, Medicine), although you can 'learn by doing' big chunks of skill increase are gated behind talents, specific for each career. Some talents can also unlock special job features (Mechanics being more efficient at disassembling, Clowns [?!] being able to breath underwater, etc) or unique blueprint, like the Cargo Scooter. An underwater scooter that has storage capacity and the ability to float in place to assist you during EVA actions. Because ofc you can exit the sub lmao. There are outposts (inhabited or abandoned), caves. monster lairs and alien ruins to explore. Or you could be just ordered out by your captain to patch a hole in the hull. It's one of those games.

As for the jobs themselves, you can play or hire Captains, Security Officers, Engineers, Mechanics, Medics and Assistants, which are jack of all trades able to grow up into truly weird but very useful characters. Like clowns.*honks*

When you're in game, your screen will look something like this:
► Show Spoiler
In this gorgeous 2d image we have a relatively small-ish sub, being attacked by a relatively dangerous enemy, a Black Moloch. The monster emits emp bursts, which probably disabled every system on board, the sub sank just above crush depth but, luckily was stopped by the tip of an underwater mountain. A few more feet and the pressure would simply crush everything.
There's someone manning the upper aft periscope, armed with a chaingun and everyone else is dealing with faulty electronics + the water gushing in from a couple holes and the broken airlocks. This crew is about to die. The moloch will finish them before they have any chance to recover from this situation. They wasted an incredible stroke of luck (hitting the mountain top) but ignore that molochs are blind and generally peaceful. What they should do is stop shooting, turn off their sonar, turn off their frickin reactor (Hope you have enough o2 tanks or Oxygilite to drop around the sub to keep your men breathing) and wait for the thing to lose interest. Once you stop making sound you're no different than a rock for those things.

After the necessary repairs ofc it's time to give it a couple of railgun suppositories but I'm afraid they won't last this long. Yep, it's one of those games.

The game is structured around campaigns, your goal being to reach the 'center' of the moon itself. There's a pretty decent setting here for a game of this scope, different factions you can be allied or enemy with and a number of different kind of missions, some given, other free form, that you can perform along the way to gather resources, credit and reputation. You move from location to location performing said task along the way, the journey is more important than the destination:
► Show Spoiler
Missions vary quite a bit. You have extermination missions, transport of goods and personnel (and not everyone on board may be trustworthy, even in sp!), clearing monster nests (hard af solo), exploring Alien ruins or salvaging their artifacts and so on. You also get to fight enemy subs from time to time but it's a minor part of the gameplay and being highly dangerous, you'll probably end up nuking them from as far away as possible by alpha striking at the earliest possibility you're given.
I also like to strap c4 charges or dirty bombs on my railgun shells in those cases because fuck you! Yes, you can do that. I told you it's one of those games.

I could spend a few more thousand words on this, really. I could for example tell you how I got the idea to jury rig a proximity sensor system for my sub, connected to an electric coil that automatically discharges, shocking monsters getting too close and how the whole thing started from me wanting to add motion sensors to my inner doors, as I was tired of clicking to open them each time. I could do that but I'm afraid it would just put me on another creativity tangent. There are endless anecdotes I could tell and not enough time to write them all. It's one of those fucking games.

Tl:dr: should you buy Barotrauma?

Answer: No

Dafuq?

Playing Barotrauma sp is for madmen that get a boner from proper inventory management, true resource allocation, memorizing timing for shit and stuff and a load of things normal people find 'boring'. A properly manned sub, even when piloted by a single human player + bots is perfectly capable of dealing with any situation the game can throw at you. Problem is, would you enjoy a game where you must ponder the correct storage solution for your oxygen masks? Decide how many batteries is too many? Check before each departure that every member of your crew is properly equipped, swap out used tanks and replenish ammo?

Bots can do a lot by themselves, they sort things around autonomously, take care of maintenance and are generally able to stay alive (eg a bot that's given the command to fix leaks won't jump into a fire to do that) but you must make sure everything else works and is in the proper place. Enough fire extinguishers? Are they properly spread out for the assigned bot to always have one close by, in case of fire? And so on, you get the gist. It's one of those games.

A modded sub can alleviate a lot of the chores in sp. Some are OP af but there are plenty offering QOL features like, external elevators to quickly drop cargo and reduce the number of trips needed to loot a location or shuttles to navigate into narrow spaces, drones to explore and destroy nests and so on. You'll need to find your sweet spot here but asking around always brings up some legit well designed ships that feel convenient without being a cheat.

What you should do is have a look into it. If anything of what I wrote above piques your interest. Look into the MP scene, it's chaotic and fun but also smart and deep enough to give you great sense of accomplishment, when you save a doomed crew from an impossible situation. Or betray and troll someone to death.
Rigging a detonator to explode when a door is triggered or when a captain orders a sub to descent is easy af, start from there (hint: procuring the tools is the hard part)
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 2nd, 2024, 09:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fix broken image
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

It's great but I HATE failing the team so often.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

What job do you main and what do you fail at? Some are easier than other, if you play with frens, security is pretty ez imho.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

My problem is I kept trying to play Mechanic I think but we only had two people and the bots suck.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

It took me about 8 deaths before I finally got the hang of making repairs. Then it took me about 8 more deaths until I understood the rotation for repairing the small sub and keeping the fuel fed on the engine without it catching fire.

Not sure how difficult the next tier sub is, but hopefully I can try it out this weekend.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Maybe we can play one of these days. It really is a game meant to be played with people.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

General Reign wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 23:30
we only had two people and the bots suck.
Wot? Mechanic bot is far better than 75% of human players. Have him mantain systems first, fix leaks second and anything goes as third. As soon as he goes up a few talents he'll be a robot.

Engineer is hard af but it's the role that most benefits from a human directing things. You can also go for a reactor controller, many do. They are less effective than manual reactor control but still about 33% better than the regular auto, you just need to learn how to setup one.

Captain is the only role bot simply cannot do properly, as you'll need to maneuver your sub constantly, except when being stationary waiting for a location to be cleared or smth.

I'm currently playing sp with a Tier II sub, I'm on the 3rd biome, crew consists of 1 Captain, 1 Medic, 2 Sec, 1 Engi, 1 Mech and 2 Assistants, one specced for weapons and one for general repairs, I use the latter for fixing stuff outside of the sub as I don't want to risk my high level engi. He also helps a lot on the sub itself with repairs + reloading stuff.

I'd say currently I have absolutely no issues with them, everyone I pretty much learned how to order around and what to expect from.
General Reign wrote: August 4th, 2023, 01:31
Maybe we can play one of these days. It really is a game meant to be played with people.

Sure, I do also play it mp already

edit: also, if you play with a buddy, I suggest the mod that allows you to take control of each crew member in mp, makes huge differences and it's not rly a cheat if you need to plug holes, it's not like you're getting more people on board.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

Buy this game faggot.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

You are late to the party
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

I bought it ages ago, before it was cool.

Why we never played it then? Are you afraid of my latin helm skills? I will rewire your ballz with strobe lights and implant a volatile fulgurium fuel rod where your manhood ought to be, just to kick your newfound atomic nutz with the steel and ceramic toed boots of my PUCS.
Last edited by Ratcatcher on August 4th, 2023, 02:33, edited 1 time in total.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

It involves things we better discuss in other venues
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Ratcatcher wrote: August 4th, 2023, 01:49
General Reign wrote: August 3rd, 2023, 23:30
we only had two people and the bots suck.
Wot? Mechanic bot is far better than 75% of human players. Have him mantain systems first, fix leaks second and anything goes as third. As soon as he goes up a few talents he'll be a robot.

Engineer is hard af but it's the role that most benefits from a human directing things. You can also go for a reactor controller, many do. They are less effective than manual reactor control but still about 33% better than the regular auto, you just need to learn how to setup one.

Captain is the only role bot simply cannot do properly, as you'll need to maneuver your sub constantly, except when being stationary waiting for a location to be cleared or smth.

I'm currently playing sp with a Tier II sub, I'm on the 3rd biome, crew consists of 1 Captain, 1 Medic, 2 Sec, 1 Engi, 1 Mech and 2 Assistants, one specced for weapons and one for general repairs, I use the latter for fixing stuff outside of the sub as I don't want to risk my high level engi. He also helps a lot on the sub itself with repairs + reloading stuff.

I'd say currently I have absolutely no issues with them, everyone I pretty much learned how to order around and what to expect from.
General Reign wrote: August 4th, 2023, 01:31

Sure, I do also play it mp already

edit: also, if you play with a buddy, I suggest the mod that allows you to take control of each crew member in mp, makes huge differences and it's not rly a cheat if you need to plug holes, it's not like you're getting more people on board.
Well, it has been 8 months since I played so not sure. I did encounter some glitches at that time but the game is so great you kinda overlook them...until you are sitting at the bottom of the ocean. To be honest I think our captain was running into stuff on accident and it made our going a little harder. Navigating takes some getting used to.

I was playing engineer too so that explains it.

:salute:
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

General Reign wrote: August 4th, 2023, 02:23
Well, it has been 8 months since I played so not sure
Ah, this explains much. The game was still in EA then I think. 1.0 came out more recently, they gave bots an additional round of polish. They also updated all vanilla subs with some QOL features like linked containers to defabricators and constructors and added tags to containers so that bots sort things out autonomously.

We can def organize an HQ thing to teach some people the basics, if needed.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

The game could really use a better inventory management system for the containers on the sub.

Although, I suppose it can add to the chaos/atmosphere trying to dig through floating storage tubs looking for the one item you need to make a repair or weld a crack.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

Storage management is a big part of the gameplay itself. There's an item finder in the navigation console, if you don't know. Also, beware what sub you use and how bots navigate it. You should always have a few bots around, even in mp, to do menial tasks for you. If the sub builder configured the storage tags correctly, your bots should automatically store items in the correct container. The only issue then is determining where they tend to stick some items, eg on the triton I was using I dunno why but fuel rods get stored alongside medical, even if there's a specific cabinet right next to the reactor. I suppose for security since medical can be locked.

Also, stupid question probably, but you are in a sub that has both deconstructor and fabricators directly connected to storages, right? Tell me you're not moving organic fibers by hand... I've seen people do that.
Ranselknulf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ranselknulf »

The AI is definitely stupid at times. We were doing a relic mission, and had to search ruins for artifacts and such, so the AI was placed to man the guns and protect the submarine while we were gone.

My first trip through the ruins I didn't find the artifacts, but my inventory was full of loot. So, I made my way back to the submarine and I noticed it was sinking. I open the hatch and enter the sub, then rush to the bridge. What do I see when I get there? The AI was stuck in a loop, running from the gun turret to a hole in the ship to weld it closed. It wasn't even firing a single shot at the enemies. The single weak critter thing would smack the submarines hull, causing a small leak, which the AI would go to weld shut instead of firing the gun. So, it was looping between running to the turret, not firing, then running back to this small leak.

I grabbed the turret and exploded the critter with like 2 shots, but the point is, the AI is downright stupid at times.

As for sub, yes we buy different subs as often as practical, we just picked up a Herja and ran a mission with it. I'm still getting use to the sub, but most subs seem to have both a constructor and deconstructor. About the only thing we really craft a lot is ammunition. Buying stuff is fairly inexpensive.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

That's a problem with the sub itself, sounds like a faulty waypoint. Which sub were you using, Herja? I have limited experience with that one but it's pretty decent.

Additionally, consider that every sub has deadzones and weakpoints the guns cannot cover. Bots will never be able to deal with that while you're doing EVO. Always make sure you have cleared the area fully AND switch to passive sonar, to avoid attracting attention.

Gunner bots should not deal with leaks, they should only man guns and/or deal with intruders. Have others fix the leaks, else the task priorization will have them run to the gun and, as soon as they lack a target, go fix the leak even if gun is primary. Leaks have some uber priority.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

Ratcatcher wrote: August 20th, 2023, 12:14
Storage management is a big part of the gameplay itself. There's an item finder in the navigation console, if you don't know. Also, beware what sub you use and how bots navigate it. You should always have a few bots around, even in mp, to do menial tasks for you. If the sub builder configured the storage tags correctly, your bots should automatically store items in the correct container. The only issue then is determining where they tend to stick some items, eg on the triton I was using I dunno why but fuel rods get stored alongside medical, even if there's a specific cabinet right next to the reactor. I suppose for security since medical can be locked.

Also, stupid question probably, but you are in a sub that has both deconstructor and fabricators directly connected to storages, right? Tell me you're not moving organic fibers by hand... I've seen people do that.
Casual
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

Lmao. When we finally play this together I'm gonna force you to call me daddy. Mark my words.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

We play with no voice chat only
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

I'll force you to install a number of LEDs, all across your ship, spelling the word 'DADDY'. Each time you wish to address me or need something from me you'll have to turn those on.

Your lack of imagination is disturbing.
asf
Turtle
Turtle

Post by asf »

I am afraid you won't be allowed inside my sub
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

asf wrote: August 30th, 2023, 17:07
I am afraid you won't be allowed inside my sub