We have a Steam curator now. You should be following it. https://store.steampowered.com/curator/44994899-RPGHQ/

Why did XCOM go awry but Civ didn't?

For discussing tactical and strategy games. What's the difference between tactics and strategy anyways?
J1M
Turtle
Turtle

Why did XCOM go awry but Civ didn't?

Post by J1M »

An XCOM requel where you fight new threats from the deep ocean is a straightforward way to print money. Why was this game never made?

Why did Firaxis trip over themselves with continuity nonsense and human/alien hybrid characters? This is the equivalent of saying Civ 6 has to incorporate player actions and story beats from Civ 5.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

J1M wrote: July 21st, 2023, 23:30
An XCOM requel where you fight new threats from the deep ocean is a straightforward way to print money. Why was this game never made?

Why did Firaxis trip over themselves with continuity nonsense and human/alien hybrid characters? This is the equivalent of saying Civ 6 has to incorporate player actions and story beats from Civ 5.
I just wanted Terror from the Deep sequel but they went full retard with Xcom 2.
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

I never liked the underwater maps. Buildings are more fun to fight in and around than a bunch of coral and rocks.

XCOM should be about humans fighting off aliens, adding friendly aliens or hybrids is off theme, completely retarded idea.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Emphyrio wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 00:21
the story doesn't matter
Phoenix Point would have been significantly more successful if they stuck with their original story/style rather than becoming a cheap nu-xcom knock off.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

Both Firaxis Civ and Firaxis XCOM are garbage.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

Gunnar wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 00:19
I never liked the underwater maps. Buildings are more fun to fight in and around than a bunch of coral and rocks.

XCOM should be about humans fighting off aliens, adding friendly aliens or hybrids is off theme, completely retarded idea.
It is perfectly possible to make an engaging underwater combat game where you have to take into account microcurrents, depth pressure, light and whatever else.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

The people making these games have a mind virus that causes them to hate people they should love, and vice versa. It should be zero surprise then that they'd make a game where you ally with aliens to mass murder humans like the most recent xcom game.
► Show Spoiler
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

Fedora Master wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 10:08

It is perfectly possible to make an engaging underwater combat game where you have to take into account microcurrents, depth pressure, light and whatever else.
Assuming you could have equally intricate mechanics in both games, fighting above ground is still the better concept.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

rusty_shackleford wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 08:21
the story doesn't matter
Phoenix Point would have been significantly more successful if they stuck with their original story/style rather than becoming a cheap nu-xcom knock off.
Interesting. Studio founder and CEO who led the Phoenix Point development is Julian Gollop, who also made the original X-COM games (1 and 3 in particular) and the music in Phoenix Point is made by John Broomhall who made the music for the original X-COM.

And yet they made a nu-XCOM clone. That's a missed opportunity.

That's not what Xenonauts is attempting, X2 is trying to make a modern-ish take on the original X-COM. Not a clone, since they're not trying to go for the "look and feel" of X-COM, unlike Phoenix Point which looks and feels like a nuXCOM re-skin.
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

rusty_shackleford wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 10:15
The people making these games have a mind virus that causes them to hate people they should love, and vice versa. It should be zero surprise then that they'd make a game where you ally with aliens to mass murder humans like the most recent xcom game.
► Show Spoiler
I agree that what they are doing to XCOM is about ideologically driven franchise vandalism. Do you think that this sort of thinking is propagated through brainwashing or were they born that way and there is no way to help them?
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Gunnar wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 10:33
rusty_shackleford wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 10:15
► Show Spoiler
I agree that what they are doing to XCOM is about ideologically driven franchise vandalism. Do you think that this sort of thinking is propagated through brainwashing or were they born that way and there is no way to help them?
I think almost all franchises that I know of have been vandalized in the last decade or so. Movies, games, whatever.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

Atlantico wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 10:29
the story doesn't matter
Interesting. Studio founder and CEO who led the Phoenix Point development is Julian Gollop, who also made the original X-COM games (1 and 3 in particular) and the music in Phoenix Point is made by John Broomhall who made the music for the original X-COM.

That's not what Xenonauts is attempting, X2 is trying to make a modern-ish take on the original X-COM. Not a clone, since they're not trying to go for the "look and feel" of X-COM, unlike Phoenix Point which looks and feels like a nuXCOM re-skin.
One of the worst aspects of "Codex Culture" is trusting people who made a good game 30 years ago to do so again now.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

Fedora Master wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 10:49
Atlantico wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 10:29

One of the worst aspects of "Codex Culture" is trusting people who made a good game 30 years ago to do so again now.
A minor correction here bud. It's trusting a company name that made good games 30 years ago to do the same today. People ignore the fact that most of the original developers for those original games are no longer working for that studio. Most have left the games industry entirely to pursue software development for businesses and medical fields.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

XCOM 2 is a good game and alien hybrids are cool, unless you go full idpol and assign some kind of ideology to it I guess but that ain't me, I'm way too based for that sort of stuff.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

Humbaba wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 11:09
unless you go full idpol
Chimera Squad.

Also XCOM2 is a shitty anime complete with "nothing personell, kid" characters wielding katanas.
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

Hybrids in xcom undermines the theme of the game, whatever the motivations for doing it are.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Gunnar wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 10:33
Do you think that this sort of thinking is propagated through brainwashing or were they born that way and there is no way to help them?
It's a combination of brainwashing, vice, and poor physical health. This study shows that uncommitted liberals become more conservative when given testosterone injections. Conversely, conservatives can be made more liberal by shutting off their brains:
► Show Spoiler
So no, libtardism is no more immutable than sexuality. There might be a proclivity from hormonal influences in the womb, but it's not terminal.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Fedora Master wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 11:18
unless you go full idpol
Chimera Squad.

Also XCOM2 is a shitty anime complete with "nothing personell, kid" characters wielding katanas.
The swords are fun. The "tactical swat man tactics no fun allowed" gameplay doesn't do it for me anymore.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Gunnar wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 11:28
Hybrids in xcom undermines the theme of the game, whatever the motivations for doing it are.
The theme of the game is "pewpew shoot da alien" and nothing else beyond that.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Humbaba wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 12:36
In the newest xcom game you ally with aliens(who were actually oppressed minorities) to kill humans who dislike aliens
Gunnar

Post by Gunnar »

Humbaba wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 12:36
Yes you are exactly correct, and having hybrids undermines that theme.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

rusty_shackleford wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 12:38
In the newest xcom game you ally with aliens(who were actually oppressed minorities) to kill humans who dislike aliens
I'll remind everyone that the advent soldiers are hybrids.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Hybrids have been in since Apocalypse. But in Apocalypse you did raids on human alien-worshippers.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

rusty_shackleford wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 12:06
How were the UFO games?
They manage to be both simpler and deeper than nuXcom.
While individual soldiers are less important the combat is more involved because it allows for indirect and friendly fire and such.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

Oldcom is slow as all fuck.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

Emphyrio wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 11:54
unless you go full idpol
Chimera Squad.

The swords are fun. The "tactical swat man tactics no fun allowed" gameplay doesn't do it for me anymore.
I was referring to the alien heroes and the cringy story around them.
Emphyrio

Post by Emphyrio »

Fedora Master wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 13:16

Chimera Squad.

I don't remember alien heroes in xcom 2, but its been a while...
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

Emphyrio wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 13:21
Fedora Master wrote: July 22nd, 2023, 13:16

I don't remember alien heroes in xcom 2, but its been a while...