Cataclysm: Bright Nights

For discussing role-playing video games, you know, the ones with combat.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Cataclysm: Bright Nights

Post by rusty_shackleford »

The popular fork of Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead has released a new major version 0.2 with many changes.
AI now can target and shoot moving cars.
Added new electric grid appliances.
Most of the building contains built in electric grids.
Added hauler bot.
Finished ammo and armor rebalance. Armour piercing ammunition now more effective agaisnt armored targets, but armor in certain cases provides somewhat better protection against gunshots. Changes included reworked power armor stats.
Autodoc now can be mounted in vehicle
Updated DinoMod.
Added missing roofs to a lot of buildings.
Food items now show how temperature affects it rot.
Graphical overmap now enabled by default.
Fixed bugs with "vehicles diagonal holes".
Reorganized mod resources. All Bright Nights resources now labeled with unique id.
Port complete leash and lead system.
Deactivate pet robots in pet menu instead of query.
Wraith and shadow special attack updates.
While flying, warn when letting go of control or stop driving.
Prevents dodge gain exploit.
Allows pushing vehicles over ramps.
Add grid flag to more specials, mods in particular.
Add a suggested parrot line to mi-gos.
Added ability Submit bug report directly from game .
Allow gourmand overeating.
Melee skill actually impacts attack stamina usage.
Obsolete Graphical Overmap mod, rename to Larwick's Overmap.
Rebalance barbaran montante MA.
Adjustments to mi-go locations, atmosphere field .
Give two pet packs for Mr. Lapin's second mission.
Rework teleglow, nether attention, stare monattack.
add NPCs to biker_dump.
Add missing damage sources kills and suicide to kills list.
Add in-game progression diary .
Robots no longer completely immune to lasers.
Add the ability to mark items as favorite from the multidrop menu.
Port over fix for spellcasting monsters and summon spells.
Shadow and cult creature updates from Arcana.
used_UPS and charged_UPS itemgroups now differ.
Make sneakers less warm.
Add better pet food message.
Crouching beside vehicle holes.
Allow marking construction recipes as favorite, sort recipes by name in construction UI.
Migrate to C++17.
Add mountable autodoc and autodoc couch.
Add option for minimizing on focus loss.
Update sausage cases, cooked wasteland sausage.
Reduce blinking effects speed (300 -> 800ms), and add an option to change it in game.
Update shovels damage taking into account historical accuracy .
Allow easier installing/removing of some parts.
Camo tank top recipe.
Convert Wraitheon Sentinel inactive robots to steel and plastic (Aftershock).
Makes Autodoc Couches assignable as seats in vehicles. Adjust autodoc couch capacity.
Grid constructions now use workshop category.
Adds grid forge rigs, chemistry sets, and chemlabs.
Cathedral overhaul.
Remove HIT_AND_RUN flag from Wraitheon Sentinels (Aftershock).
Allow repairing items with forges.
Added new helicopter parts group to helipad.
Implement relic recharge.
Make bicycle alternators (dynamos) craftable.
Quick consistency updates for crude wood bolts.
remove glare protection requirement for forged frames.
make light mounts bolt install and add forging recipe.
A lot of bugfixes and infrastructure improvements.
It can be downloaded for free from their github site here: https://github.com/cataclysmbnteam/Cata ... ag/cbn-0.2 (scroll down)
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

The difference between normal CDDA and Bright Nights is astounding. CDDA is pure jank autism now, Bright Nights is actually playable.
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

Yes. This appeals to my male fantasies.
Dead

Post by Dead »

Reminder that in CDDA you can change your name or gender by pressing two keys from the player info page while making and eating food takes at least three keys (more like five).
Last edited by Dead on July 14th, 2023, 21:23, edited 2 times in total.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Ratcatcher wrote: February 12th, 2023, 16:21
Yes. This appeals to my male fantasies.
You fantasize about being male?
Dead

Post by Dead »

What happens when a game's hunger system is designed by redditors who don't know what it's like to feed themselves like human beings (source):
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

I had a friend that kept trying to get me to play this. We are no longer friends. Nothing to do with the game.
Dead

Post by Dead »

That hunger system is from Dark Days Ahead. Bright Nights removed most of the stomach mechanics, and other tedious, so-called realistic, mechanics.
Dead

Post by Dead »

You should be able to milk women in Cataclysm.
Element

Post by Element »

I tried DDA but it was nigh on impossible to acclimatize to the sheer amount of mechanics. I do like the sim aspect of it, but I cant be bothered to learn all of the hotkeys and controls. Would be cool to have a game with DDA's depth but have a ui and controls that are intuitive enough to not feel like you need to wrestle them
Dead

Post by Dead »

Element wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 17:12
I tried DDA but it was nigh on impossible to acclimatize to the sheer amount of mechanics. I do like the sim aspect of it, but I cant be bothered to learn all of the hotkeys and controls. Would be cool to have a game with DDA's depth but have a ui and controls that are intuitive enough to not feel like you need to wrestle them
It's helpful to start with a strong character (e.g. the Bionic Assassin profession, which can be enabled during world creation by adding the Bionic Professions core content pack) and learn the mechanics as needed as you progress, rather than try to learn everything at once. The Bright Nights fork is easier to learn as it has simpler UI and reduces DDA's micromanagement. The controls can be reconfigured extensively. After you learn to play BN, if you want more simulation than BN, you could easily switch to DDA, or one of the other forks closer to DDA, like Era of Decay, which provides many more options than DDA to customize your game, like toggling unpopular mechanics.
Element

Post by Element »

Dead wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 17:36
Element wrote: August 22nd, 2023, 17:12
It's helpful to start with a strong character (e.g. the Bionic Assassin profession, which can be enabled during world creation by adding the Bionic Professions core content pack) and learn the mechanics as needed as you progress, rather than try to learn everything at once. The Bright Nights fork is easier to learn as it has simpler UI and reduces DDA's micromanagement. The controls can be reconfigured extensively. After you learn to play BN, if you want more simulation than BN, you could easily switch to DDA, or one of the other forks closer to DDA, like Era of Decay, which provides many more options than DDA to customize your game, like toggling unpopular mechanics.
Im going to give BN a shot and see how it goes
Dead

Post by Dead »

Bright Nights added a trait named "Lost to the Cataclysm" that lets you play as a feral, which makes zombies friendly and NPCs hostile. Zombies follow you around and destroy barriers between you and them, which makes keeping shelter intact harder. These zombies don't seem to attack hostiles even when the hostiles are adjacent. I was looking forward to using this trait but I'm going to kill this character.