Virtual Tabletops

For all your tabletop & board game needs.
Bah! They don't even play at physical tabletops anymore.
MadPreacher

Virtual Tabletops

Post by MadPreacher »

This is just a quick and dirty guide to VTTs. You have the best which is Tabletop Simulator due to its 3d space and the ability to play any type of game at a table then you have the poor pathetic excuses of what is known as a virtual "table". Every other VTT out there is stuck in 2d and there's no real attempt at immersion, unlike TTS. You are also limited in what you can do plus there is the problem of most of the worst ones being subscription i.e. rental based services vs. the superior and more prestigious buy once and keep forever like TTS.

Did I mention you can play CCGs, board games, tabletop wargames like Warhammer 40k, pen and paper RPGs complete with record sheets and 3d terrain plus miniatures?

What is your opinion and experiences with VTTs?
Ratcatcher
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Ratcatcher »

I mainly use it to play boardgames as I have a (shameful) pro account on roll20 and migrating a few thousands .png from one library to another is a PITA. I will continue to use it untill my current campaign(s) are over and then look for an alternative, since beyond the tokens I already have a few dozen fully scripted maps with LoS and lighting implemented.

Can't really speak about how it performs for pnp but I know it got loads of customization options available. It's excellent to play boardgames especially very complex one requiring a long setup phase since you can usually find scripted version that automate the tedium. Eg: A regular game of Eldritch Horror requires 15-30 min to properly set up and a single click in TTS.