Resident Evil 4 Remake

Post by aweigh »

Found a nice compilation video of all footage so far:

And I believe this is the absolute newest footage released yet:

Segata Sanshiro
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

So far, all footage I've seen indicates that Leon is way too strong. He gets the addition of a parry with generous i-frames, adamantium knife, lots of additional moves yet the enemies barely seem upgraded aside from the addition of a couple new enemy types. It doesn't look terrible, and as far as remake standard it can end up being good, but I'm not seeing the challenge. I still don't get what the tacked on stealth mechanics bring, I'll wait for more footage and see.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

@Segata Sanshiro they are just showing the gamejourno build.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

The knife isn't made of adamantium, every time you parry or stab a downed enemy it loses a bit of durability. If I had to guess, comparing how much of the gauge these actions eat up, I'd say you have about a dozen uses before the knife breaks. Getting out of a grab also uses a fair bit of the gauge.

Granted, I imagine you will be able to upgrade the knife's durability throughout the game. Also, as Wunder says, we don't know at which difficulty the game is being played, or how many upgrades the weapons have gotten by that point in the game.

Also, you were fairly powerful in the original RE4 game as well, especially on the less well-designed maps where you could funnel all enemies through a single chokepoint. Hell, even the first village map, where the corpse on a pyre is, could be cheesed fairly easily by jumping through the second floor window after the mob is triggered and going around the second floor structure (where you can find one frag grenade). You could then just kill enemies without worrying about being flanked or attacked from behind, and if things got too dicey you could just jump down and reposition.

I am curious to see if they'll make the enemies more "intelligent", like being able to dynamically reposition ladders, or being able to chase after you better. The inclusion of a brute enemy is a welcome addition IMO, should make the game be less about finding a dead-end corridor and just mowing down enemies.
Last edited by gerey on February 6th, 2023, 09:23, edited 1 time in total.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

gerey wrote: February 6th, 2023, 06:42
The inclusion of a brute enemy is a welcome addition IMO, should make the game be less about finding a dead-end corridor and just mowing down enemies.
I assume they are basing their combat system on RE5's combat, which was basically the same as RE4, but more complex. In this case the bullhead enemy will likely function as those guys

wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

One thing that grinds my gears about modern AAA games is the inclusion of mini-cutscenes for the various mundane actions like opening the door, pressing a button or climbing a ladder.

Max Payne 3 was the first game that abused the hell out of such mini-cutscenes to the point of having its replay value destroyed despite having very satisfying combat mechanics. You couldn't just open the door by yourself, once you got close to it the game started a cutscene in which Max was opening the door in a cinematic way. You couldn't just pulled the lever in-game, the game showed you a cutscene in which Max pulled the lever in a cinematic way.

I'm pretty sure this was originally started by devs to hide the loading of the next zone or to hide the points of no return where the game culls previous areas to save memory, but after a while it just became annoying trend. Devs put this shit everywhere without rhyme or reason, just so the game could look more "cinematic".

RE6 used it to an extent, but thankfully not too much due to game's coop element (except for Leon's campaign). Thanks to RE6 tanking Revelations 2 had its budget significantly reduced, so the devs had to use early 00s prerenders, making the game relatively light on both minicutscenes and elaborate cinematics. Unfortunately, this shitty trend came back in full swing with RE7, where with every little action the game took control from the player. You couldn't just open the fridge, after pressing 'use' key you had to watch a 2-seconds long cinematic of Ethan opening the fridge and seeing cockroaches running around. The game had a dedicated crouch button, but you couldn't just press crouch and crawl under some garbage - the game usually took control from you and played a sequence where Ethan crawled there by himself in a cinematic way. RE2 remake avoided most of this (it even introduced Mr X completely in-game, which was great), but then RE3 remake and Village doubled down and made it even more annoying.

And judging by the gameplay videos Capcom have put out so far, RE4 remake won't be much different. They already made your first encounter with Ganado "more cinematic" (now Leon breaks the guy's neck in a scripted sequence and then fights him again in another scripted sequence, to showcase that those dudes aren't human anymore). They replaced the way you jump out of the first house with a cutscene. They added those annoying mini-cutscenes when you catch Ashley when she jumps down from height.

Modern AAA devs just can't allow things to happen in-game, they have to take control away from the players. Noooo you can't have your unfiltered gameplay, nooooo, you must watch our cinematics!
Ventidius

Post by Ventidius »

wndrbr wrote: February 6th, 2023, 11:51
One thing that grinds my gears about modern AAA games is the inclusion of mini-cutscenes for the various mundane actions like opening the door, pressing a button or climbing a ladder.
Yeah, this is extremely aggravating. If they want to do a cutscene, fine, do a cutscene, if they want the character to just spit out some lines while otherwise controlling normally, that's fine too. But going middle-of-the-road and trapping you in a cutscene-that's-not-really-a-cutscene is the worst of both worlds.

As for RE4make, it looks very good so far. I'm glad they are not cutting any content, that is very encouraging. I know a lot of people hate the island, but what it needs is some polish, not removal. And indeed, now that the action element will be smoother, I suspect that the action-y nature of the island will not be as much of a drag.

I also don't mind Leon having more and smoother combat options if the AI and moves of the Ganados improve accordingly, which seems to be the case so far.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

Ventidius wrote: February 6th, 2023, 21:25
I know a lot of people hate the island, but what it needs is some polish, not removal. And indeed, now that the action element will be smoother, I suspect that the action-y nature of the island will not be as much of a drag.
I think the reason they've decided not to cut parts of the game, or why they're stressing they're not doing so at least, was the poor reception of Resident Evil 3 - where one of the major complaints was just how much content from the original game was missing.

Also, what people need to keep in mind is just how enormous RE4 was, especially in comparison to other RE titles. It was at least twice as long as the average RE game.

The village portion is some of the most well-designed and paced content in any game, but as the game goes on it gets progressively less focused. Not exactly bad, just not as tightly designed as the first 1/3 of the game. I'm curious to see how they plan to account for all the various side-quests they are including, as well as the ability to backtrack.

Backtracking especially is something that RE4 didn't do often, the game was constantly pushing you forward, and the instances where you need to retrace your steps to access a previously locked area were rare.

I'm fare more interested in this remake than any of the previous ones especially because it seems that Capcom really wants to expand on the game, which I assume is also a result of their growing familiarity with the new technology.
viata

Post by viata »

The best part of RE4 was the beginning, but seems like they changed the atmosphere. Also, what the hell is wrong with those hairs in this RE engine? They all suck.
GothGirlSupremacy

Post by GothGirlSupremacy »

They should let us play as cultists who have to put their cold foreign hands on the gringo girl and take her away to some rape void.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

The trailer looks pretty reassuring. Debunks the older 'leaks' (like the removed island section and removed Krauser), confirms the return of various memorable encounters (like el gigante duo, the elevator that stops when there are more than two cultists riding it, or that huge room where you need to protect Ashley with a sniper rifle while she operates the crank. You can now use crouch-stealth to dodge thrown projectiles.

Pretty cool how they turned the first encounter with Krauser into an actual combat sequence instead of a cutscene with a bunch of QTEs. I wonder if they blocked player's ability to use any weapons other than knife?
Last edited by wndrbr on February 24th, 2023, 03:02, edited 1 time in total.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

So what does "resident evil" mean? :Inspector:
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

@rusty_shackleford it means you, the player. You were the resident evil all along.
agentorange

Post by agentorange »

rusty_shackleford wrote: February 24th, 2023, 03:01
I've always thought it's quite a clever title, because the game takes place in a mansion in which resides an evil presence (in the form of zombies and monsters etc), therefore you are fighting against the resident "evil."
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Bonus point is that you can make any game under such title because it doesn't limit you to a certain theme or a location. Meanwhile Silent Hill games always have to stick to the titular town, otherwise a bunch of autists will come out of the woodwork and start chanting "silent hill 4 is not a real silent hill title, you never even visit silent hill!".
Hando

Post by Hando »

The real question is why they didn't just call it Biohazard like in Japan.
agentorange

Post by agentorange »

Hando wrote: February 24th, 2023, 04:05
The real question is why they didn't just call it Biohazard like in Japan.
Resident Evil is a far better, unique title. It conjures a certain atmosphere that makes sense for the original games, especially the first, which are about trying to uncover a sinister mystery in what should be a safe residential setting but which has been transformed into a place of evil. Biohazard is just a generic term (which is why they couldn't use the title for the American release, which forced them to come up with the better title).
Hando

Post by Hando »

Oh yeah I don't disagree that it's a much better title. Biohazard is very bland in comparison. But Japanese developers, and capcom specifically, weren't exactly well known for their creative naming. I mean take Street Fighter for example, lol. So I wondered why they felt the need to change it here. Some kind of copyright/legal issue makes sense.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

idk, i think she looks the same. Her new voice is worse, though.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

agentorange wrote: February 24th, 2023, 03:13
rusty_shackleford wrote: February 24th, 2023, 03:01
I've always thought it's quite a clever title, because the game takes place in a mansion in which resides an evil presence (in the form of zombies and monsters etc), therefore you are fighting against the resident "evil."
The games are known as Biohazard in Japan, but Capcom changed the name to Resident Evil in the West to avoid a copyright dispute.

Part of the reason they picked up the name likely also has to do with the fact Resident Evil 1 was originally meant to be a remake of Sweet Home.

Kinda makes me wonder who came up with the title itself though, since it's an interesting English wordplay, in spite of the obvious ESLness of the rest of Resident Evil 1.
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

wndrbr wrote: February 24th, 2023, 02:58
The trailer looks pretty reassuring. Debunks the older 'leaks' (like the removed island section and removed Krauser), confirms the return of various memorable encounters (like el gigante duo, the elevator that stops when there are more than two cultists riding it, or that huge room where you need to protect Ashley with a sniper rifle while she operates the crank. You can now use crouch-stealth to dodge thrown projectiles.
Didn't Capcom state multiple times that not only are they not cutting anything from the game, but actually adding to it?

I'm skeptical if that will be 100% true, but they certainly seem committed to avoiding another RE3R disaster.

Oh, and for anyone interested, a crazy Arab dude is close to publishing his RE4 mod:

wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Tried the demo.

Graphics are pretty nice (except for horrible facial animations, wtf happened). Optimization seems to be here - I didn't experience any issues with performance. KBM controls are fine, mouse input works perfectly. PC-specific options are present, looks like they are about the same as in the previous games on this engine (RE8, RE3 remake, RE2 remake, RE7).

The demo is basically the first 15-20 minutes of the game - we see roughly the same prologue cutscene with Leon reminiscing the events of RE2, complete with the nuclear explosion and Umbrella symbol disintegrating, then he explains his current occupation (ther's even a flashback scene of Krauser sparring with Leon in Special Forces training school). The demo ends after the survival sequence in the village.

The positives:

Actually enjoyed the combat system. It's basically the same as it was in the OG RE4, but with the various bells and whistles (like the parrying, degradeable and upgradeable knife, backstabs, crouch-dodging, etc). The difficulty is significantly higher than OG RE4 too (there was no difficulty selection menu in the demo, so I assumed it was medium setting) - headshot+kick combo was nerfed and now affects only one-two enemies max, the window of opportunity is shorter and enemies recover from pain states faster, and their AI is way more aggressive (which is understandable since we can now walk and shoot at the same time).

I got an impression that the game runs on the same version of the engine as RE2 Remake, and it has the same dismemberment system. A point-blank shotgun blast can break a poor peasant in two or three pieces or tear off individual limbs. Sometimes downed enemies keep writhing in agony while lying on the ground, duping player into dulling their knives or wasting extra ammo to finish them off. Corpses also do not despawn like they did in RE3 remake or RE8.

The negatives:

The movement system is roughly the same as it was in RE2 remake, so instead of arcadey movement of the original game you have Leon inconsistently stumbling around in a "realistic" way. It was ok in a slow-paced horror game, but in an action-packed TPS with a focus on crowd control it's just doesn't work. A lot of modern third-person games suffer from the same issue where pretty animations trump gameplay, I expected Capcom to do better and make Leon move snappier but alas. Well, at least it's not as bad as it was in, for example, RDR 2.

Leon has become much more talkative, now he regularly quips a one-liner as if he was a character in a Joss Wheedon's film. Shoot enemy in a head, kick an enemy off a ladder, take out a group with a lucky grenade throw - Leon has a joke to spout for every occasion. I assume in the final game at a certain point these phrases will start repeating, and Leon's chatty attitude will get old really fast.

And the cutscenes. I already ranted about them earlier in this thread, so I'm not going to repeat myself.

Overall it was OK. Still not sure why are they even making this, original RE4 is still a perfectly modern game that doesn't need any "modernisations". I was hoping for remake to end up being a more horror-focused reimagining, tonally more in line with their recent remakes, but it looks like after RE3 got (rightfully) lambasted for inaccuracies Capcom decided to play it safe. Shame.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

le ebin marvel movie man vs zombos