RPGCodex has gone insane

Something not gaming related? Discuss it here!
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

if you lose your account here because you are retarded and reuse passwords I will call you a retard and I will not be restoring anything that happens
hope that helps
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Seems like lots of sites have been doing that shit....sites like GOOGLE. DECLINE.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I've lost accounts before because I wiped my phone to install a new rom and then was prevented from logging in because my app wasn't linked anymore. 2fa is gay and overcomplicates things.
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

imagine NOT reusing passwords for gaming websites, lmao
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

GhostCow wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 17:01
I've lost accounts before because I wiped my phone to install a new rom and then was prevented from logging in because my app wasn't linked anymore. 2fa is gay and overcomplicates things.
viewtopic.php?t=332-2fa-otp-steam-witho ... rd-manager
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

holy shit, rusty, you almost got 2k posts here already. You certainly are dedicated to your vision.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Context: some "high IQ" individual from the political forums got his account hacked, and nearly toppled half the Codex, because the hacker started deleting his posts.

Money was spent for specialized software that would restore deleted posts en masse.

It was embarrassing, so naturally everyone found it hilarious.
Konjad

Post by Konjad »

The_Mask wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 17:03
Context: some "high IQ" individual from the political forums got his account hacked, and nearly toppled half the Codex, because the hacker started deleting his posts.

Money was spent for specialized software that would restore deleted posts en masse.

It was embarrassing, so naturally everyone found it hilarious.
What money?

Also, it why Twiglard lost patience is because three user accounts were compromised, not just one. He only restored posts of darkpatriot, but it took him some effort (lots of manual clicking apparently), so I don't expect him to restore the other two accounts.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

I can't even log into the codex until I get home from work because I used my cock.li email and their webmail doesn't seem to work in Firefox mobile
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

GhostCow wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 17:08
I can't even log into the codex until I get home from work because I used my cock.li email and their webmail doesn't seem to work in Firefox mobile
Just don't log in anymore. Don't support this bullshit even indirectly.
I'll freely admit I logged in sometimes to read Atlantico's posts but enforced 2FA is too much for me.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I want to make it clear that I fully encourage shilling of the HQ wherever possible
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Just look it up. Twig said Taluntain spent money on software. I really don't care enough to provide proof, but it's there. Either in Retardo, or just in the plain thread.

I'd prefer if you'd just believe me.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

rusty_shackleford wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 17:11
I want to make it clear that I fully encourage shilling of the HQ wherever possible
I tried to bring people like Delterius and Abu Antar here, or Deuce Traveller. I can't force them to do anything. But what I *can* do, is make this place more appealing.

Which I am. If it wasn't obvious.
twig
The Only Good Commie

Post by twig »

Konjad wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 17:06
Also, it why Twiglard lost patience is because three user accounts were compromised, not just one. He only restored posts of darkpatriot, but it took him some effort (lots of manual clicking apparently), so I don't expect him to restore the other two accounts.
Talu found an addon that mass undeletes posts made after a specified date. So rather than undeleting darkpatriot's posts, I simply input his username and the date of 23 Feb 2022. The addon did the rest. Same as with your account.
Twig said Taluntain spent money on software.
Apparently he was already subscribed to addons from that mod author.

And yeah, they do appear to be paying for XF2 and its addons, rather than pirate them like normal people.
Segata Sanshiro
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

The_Mask wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 17:14
rusty_shackleford wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 17:11
I tried to bring people like Delterius and Abu Antar here, or Deuce Traveller. I can't force them to do anything. But what I *can* do, is make this place more appealing.

Which I am. If it wasn't obvious.
Codexers already know this place exists. Sadly, it can't provide the same dopamine hits that such a sizeable forum like the codex is able to. Others suffer from mental rot and can't browse more than two sites (twitter and dex). But this 2FA thing might change some things. We'll see.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

Managed to find a workaround and shilled the hq in the 2fa thread. I did my part.
Iguana Bob

Post by Iguana Bob »

rusty_shackleford wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 16:38
if you lose your account here because you are retarded and reuse passwords I will call you a retard and I will not be restoring anything that happens
hope that helps
The main issue wasn't individuals losing their account, it was that deleting posts en masse fucked the forum hard. Haven't posted here yet, so I don't even know if deletions are possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same autistic rage that caused this could cause it here.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Iguana Bob wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 17:27
rusty_shackleford wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 16:38
hope that helps
The main issue wasn't individuals losing their account, it was that deleting posts en masse fucked the forum hard. Haven't posted here yet, so I don't even know if deletions are possible, but I wouldn't be surprised if the same autistic rage that caused this could cause it here.
deletions on the hq just hide the post, I don't think mass deletions would break anything and can be undone rather easily.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

It's kind of shocking the extent of things a person would go through just to "mess" with someone else, rather than just be cerebral and convince them with solid points.

CruduxCruo just ushered a brand new era just because he couldn't handle that someone else could have a different opinion than he does. Cool.
Roguey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Roguey »

rusty_shackleford wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 17:30
deletions on the hq just hide the post,
Well the same is true for the Codex, only an admin can truly delete a post.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Roguey wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 17:43
rusty_shackleford wrote: June 2nd, 2023, 17:30
deletions on the hq just hide the post,
Well the same is true for the Codex, only an admin can truly delete a post.
Yes, apparently the Codex has some issues with pagination when posts are deleted. I don't think this is an issue the HQ suffers. HQ & Codex use completely different technology for their forums.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Just so it's known, I'm preparing in the case that such issues happen here. Better to be prepared than not. But I think the HQ does backups far more frequently than the Codex due to the massive differences in the amount of data that needs to be backed up. I currently do hourly backups without issues. So in the worst case scenario currently, I'd just recover a backup.
Fedora Master
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Fedora Master »

I'm kinda sorry for being absent from here and posting on the Dex. It really is getting out of hand over there.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Codex admins could have just prevented users from deleting posts without doing 2FA

For instance.
Humbaba

Post by Humbaba »

I shat in your spot.