Red Letter Media - Wisconsin's Best

Movies? TV shows? Books? Comics? Music? It goes here.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I'd been wondering what their reactions would be to Picard season 3. Like them, I'm cautiously optimistic.

Terry Matalas is the new showrunner, and unlike JJ or Kurtzman or Akiva Goldsmith, he's actually a Star Trek fan and started his career on the Rick Berman shows. He also was the showrunner for 12 Monkeys and I think that was a great show, so I have some hope that this season will be of at least decent quality.

Matalas did an interview where he called Shaw the type of character Todd Stashwick would play. So, I assume his arc will be similar to Deacon's from 12 Monkeys.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Apparently it is worth one's time. That hasn't really happened since, basically, 2005.
Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Picard S3 is their Andor S1

Goddam Trekkies.
Watser
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Watser »

Josh has gotten very fat.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I'm really liking Season 3. I didn't watch 1 or 2. But, I am a huge fan of the 12 Monkeys series (that Matalas was also the showrunner for) and this season has a very similar feel. For people who are long-time Star Trek fans, I can understand why they might not like it, but I appreciate the nods to TNG and DS9.
SDG

Post by SDG »

Josh is starting to look like Brendan Frasier in The Whale.
NEG
Turtle
Turtle

Post by NEG »

Acrux wrote: February 18th, 2023, 00:33
I'd been wondering what their reactions would be to Picard season 3. Like them, I'm cautiously optimistic.
They openly and repeatedly said they've given up on all "this is not star trek" criticisms. They openly admit it's dark, 'gritty' garbage, and nothing like TNG or any other series. But they still watch it and still cope for the first part of every season that maybe it's watchable.

As if the Picard suicide thing wasn't enough last season, Mike just keeps shoveling this horseshit down both of their gullets because it has a Star Trek label on it. Every episode 'review' is just 'member berries and half-hearted critiques of obvious flaws.

They haven't done a serious teardown review like the ones that made them famous in a long time, and they've been pulling this Trekkie fanboy reluctantly consuming product routine since 2009.

They say we're never getting another episodic sci fi show like TNG, but people like them, who watch this trash even though they know it isn't what they wanted, are the reason they don't get it.
SDG

Post by SDG »

They watch it so they have content for their show. It's just work for them. They're not consooming.
SDG

Post by SDG »

It annoys me that people still actually enjoy M Night shamalamlan movies. I wish the prick would retire. There's nothing clever or entertaining about his stories. It's just ass.
Phos

Post by Phos »

NEG wrote: March 12th, 2023, 22:19
They say we're never getting another episodic sci fi show like TNG
Curious how they never mention The Orville...
SDG

Post by SDG »

Latest episode was legit great. Would love more trivia shit. They've all been hilarious.
NEG
Turtle
Turtle

Post by NEG »

Phos wrote: March 21st, 2023, 07:45
NEG wrote: March 12th, 2023, 22:19
They say we're never getting another episodic sci fi show like TNG
Curious how they never mention The Orville...
They've mentioned it. I think Rich likes it.

But the first couple of seasons were very derivative, to the point of ripping off whole TOS episodes. And I really don't like the comedy angle.
NEG
Turtle
Turtle

Post by NEG »

I almost hope they were paid to gush over STP this hard.

The season literally ended in a Return of the Jedi ripoff with elements of horror and callbacks to Star Trek: First Contact, but they just keep talking about the actors, the Enterprise D and muh nostalgia.

Forget about the fact that the Enterprise D is being flown like the Millennium Falcon with a crew consisting of a handful of people. Forget about all the pining Mike used to do for TNG episodes with nice even TV lighting and that every scene in STP is practically filmed in the dark.

Muh nostalgia! Muh sendoff!

Hack frauds, but unironically.
The_Mask

Post by The_Mask »

Reminder that they started this shit with 10 minute videos. :)

Atlantico
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Atlantico »

Mars Attacks is hilarious, so what if it has no plot and looks janky, it gets better with age and that's sign they did something right.

I thought it was silly and cheap looking when I saw it the first time in the 90s and I thought it was a hilarious misunderstood dark comedy the second time I saw it, in 2020. In fact I think I'll watch it again now, it's very nice, the jank is an important factor and it wouldn't be the same without it.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Atlantico wrote: May 24th, 2023, 10:06
Mars Attacks is hilarious, so what if it has no plot and looks janky, it gets better with age and that's sign they did something right.

I thought it was silly and cheap looking when I saw it the first time in the 90s and I thought it was a hilarious misunderstood dark comedy the second time I saw it, in 2020. In fact I think I'll watch it again now, it's very nice, the jank is an important factor and it wouldn't be the same without it.
It was based on trading cards so people should have worshiped the content they got - the movie rocks and we need a sequel that is not shit.