Star Trek: Resurgence

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
MadPreacher

Star Trek: Resurgence

Post by MadPreacher »

TLDR: The game isn't a game, but rather a cinematic QTE simulator where your choices mean nothing. Gameplay consists of doing GTEs, cover based shooting from 2000s, and poorly done stealth from before Thief was even a thing.

It's also Star Drek The Next Abomination based off of Star Drek Below Decks cartoon. If you choose to get this cinematic QTE simulator turn in your man card and castrate yourself with a hot knife.
Last edited by rusty_shackleford on March 28th, 2024, 00:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix name for archival purposes
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

Remember when even Star Wars movie tie-in games were better than new games? I do.
J1M

Post by J1M »

Very curious how a project like this with such a big franchise landed with a developer like this. Is this a throwaway project to extend a license? Was it always intended to test the waters of AA licensed game? Did someone think Unreal Engine = guaranteed good game?
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

maidenhaver wrote: May 30th, 2023, 21:58
Remember when even Star Wars movie tie-in games were better than new games? I do.
Star Wars games were and are some of the best games. Way better than any of the shitty movies. Original trilogy included.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

J1M wrote: May 30th, 2023, 22:30
Very curious how a project like this with such a big franchise landed with a developer like this. Is this a throwaway project to extend a license? Was it always intended to test the waters of AA licensed game? Did someone think Unreal Engine = guaranteed good game?
I looked up Dramatic Labs that made this abomination. They're all former TellTale employees. It makes sense that they would produce a non-game.

Yawn Labs

Bonehead House LLC

You can see that Bruner House has partnerships with CBS, NBC Universal, and Gearbox.
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

What I fucking hate about art games is the devs who make them think storytelling and drawings are higher arts that gamemaking. Games are the best art medium ever invented; Renaissance studios into perspectives WISHED they could immerse an audience in their medium like games do. The thing is, these gaynigger devs in gayms don't believe in their own medium. They still want to be painters and novelists, they don't actually believe games are a legitimate art. The self-loathing pricks who couldn't appreciate a new art ever compared themselves to dead mediums like novels and painting.
J1M

Post by J1M »

MadPreacher wrote: May 30th, 2023, 22:39
J1M wrote: May 30th, 2023, 22:30
I looked up Dramatic Labs that made this abomination. They're all former TellTale employees. It makes sense that they would produce a non-game.

Yawn Labs

Bonehead House LLC

You can see that Bruner House has partnerships with CBS, NBC Universal, and Gearbox.
I would love to know why this project specifically was greenlit. Beyond the obvious Mary Sue and Jose protagonists. There's an easy argument to make that it damages the brand.

At minimum the choice of TNG astheitcs, not those of Picard or Discovery or the movie reboot is an interesting mystery considering when that decision would have been made.
MadPreacher

Post by MadPreacher »

J1M wrote: May 31st, 2023, 00:43
I would love to know why this project specifically was greenlit. Beyond the obvious Mary Sue and Jose protagonists. There's an easy argument to make that it damages the brand.

At minimum the choice of TNG astheitcs, not those of Picard or Discovery or the movie reboot is an interesting mystery considering when that decision would have been made.
Communist Broadcasting Corporation destroyed the Star Trek brand way back in The Next Abomination era when they tried to get rid of The Only Series. As it stands right now, Star Drek isn't worth a whole lot of money thanks to Jar Jar and everyone since TNA.
Klerik

Post by Klerik »

Why can't they do an RPG based off of the original series?

Why can't they do alot of things....
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

reminder that some losers in their mom's basement were capable of making this

CBS shut it down of course
maidenhaver

Post by maidenhaver »

All lawyers must hang.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Acquired this, it's pretty fun, main issue is the PC port is awful.

Very TOS/TNG-era feeling game. Very few tutorial popups. And yea, there's a lot of "QTE"-style things, it's a modern adventure game.
2factorauth

Post by 2factorauth »

star drek is sjw zero hour
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

I feel like there's a good game here but the PC port is all around bad and there are a lot of performance issues. Going to stop for now and wait to see if they put out any other patches before it releases on Steam next year.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Ended up playing it again. I can only play this in short bursts because of the performance issues, but there's a decent game here. Sucks.
J1M

Post by J1M »

I disagree. There's a good TNG episode there, but the trivial QTEs break up the pacing in an unfortunate way. It doesn't feel like a game at all because the complexity is about on par with closing an advertisement while watching a video online.

The same plot/voice acting/visual fidelity presented in the way Elite Force was (as an actual FPS game) would have been great.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

J1M wrote: July 30th, 2023, 23:36
I disagree. There's a good TNG episode there, but the trivial QTEs break up the pacing in an unfortunate way. It doesn't feel like a game at all because the complexity is about on par with closing an advertisement while watching a video online.

The same plot/voice acting/visual fidelity presented in the way Elite Force was (as an actual FPS game) would have been great.
I like the QTEs, they make me feel part of the action :(

The performance in some areas is fucking horrible though, I have a feeling they just bought assets meant for rendering and plopped them in.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

This is releasing on Steam in May. Doesn't seem like there will be any patch(?), or if so, it is unannounced.
Vergil

Post by Vergil »

Authentic Star Trek adventure from former members of Telltale Games.
They do realize that's not a selling point but a red flag right?