Metal Gear Solid games always sucked

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

All stealth games are shit. Why do people enjoy sitting around doing nothing while waiting for the right time to move around? I'm way too impatient for that shit.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

GhostCow wrote: May 28th, 2023, 14:28
All stealth games are shit. Why do people enjoy sitting around doing nothing while waiting for the right time to move around? I'm way too impatient for that shit.
Hitman games were fun.
GhostCow

Post by GhostCow »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 28th, 2023, 14:31
Hitman games were fun.
I'll give you that, but that's more about wearing disguises than hiding in a box.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

GhostCow wrote: May 28th, 2023, 14:47
rusty_shackleford wrote: May 28th, 2023, 14:31
Hitman games were fun.
I'll give you that, but that's more about wearing disguises than hiding in a box.
They're an example of stealth games using stealth that works irl.
Segata Sanshiro
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

Why do people enjoy sitting around doing nothing while waiting for the right time to move around?
Why do people strawman stealth games into this trope? you know you're given tools to deal with situations in a variety of ways without waiting, right? only people who do autistically ghost playthroughs suffer from this.
rusty_shackleford wrote: May 28th, 2023, 14:16
And I'm tired of people pretending otherwise.
3 is pretty good. 5 had top notch mechanics, just marred by the dogshit open world, but I still got thousands of hours from it.

Splinter Cell Chaos Theory is the best stealth game.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Yeah the quality of this franchise was always overblown. It was impressive initially because you rarely, if ever, had games with such a cinematic flair to them. It was as if you were playing a movie/visual novel, for better and for worse (mostly for worse).

The gameplay was an afterthought, so when people discuss Metal Gear they typically only mention certain scenes. Like the Psycho Mantis fight, the torture scene, and the final battle against REX. Same goes for it's sequels. The only Metal Gear game that was more 'game' than movie/visual novel was the fifth instalment, but even that was very poorly done and the enemy A.I was Atari 2600 level. The worst was 4, it's perhaps the most boring and incomprehensible "game" I've ever played.

However, I really like the visual design of this franchise. I only wish they had taken it in a different direction. It should have just been a pastiche of 80s action films, with simpler plots and a focus on stealth gameplay.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Using disguises and social manipulation is a significantly better form of stealth than the puzzle game stealth of waiting for people to walk past on patrol.
Segata Sanshiro
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Segata Sanshiro »

rusty_shackleford wrote: May 28th, 2023, 16:05
Using disguises and social manipulation is a significantly better form of stealth than the puzzle game stealth of waiting for people to walk past on patrol.
It's funny because Hitman since BM has been about waiting for the cool accident death or waiting to have a chance to be alone with your target.
Klerik

Post by Klerik »

Is this going to be a "Splinter Cell" coming out party?
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Thread is gay. Op is gay. Mission Impossible on the N64 had some cool stuff though.
Klerik

Post by Klerik »

neener neener, agnry argue about videogame lore
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

The best Metal Gear game was the one we made along the way.
wishbonetail

Post by wishbonetail »

First Metal Gear (1987) actually was brilliant. Played the hell out of it back in a day.

Also there's a contemporary parody called Unmetal from the developer of Unepic. Pure fun.
General Reign

Post by General Reign »

Metal Gear 2 is basically MGS.