The Legend of Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom

No RPG elements? It probably goes here!
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

The Legend of Zelda - Tears of the Kingdom

Post by krokodil »

Get hyped!

Last edited by krokodil on April 13th, 2023, 23:59, edited 3 times in total.
Nemesis
Director of Synchronous Communication Channels

Post by Nemesis »

WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

Is there anything at all known about it yet? I played BotW but I didn't finish because exploration felt unrewarding. Ooh, another shrine! Ooh, another Korok seed! Wow, another weapon that will break in five swings!
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

comes out in May IIRC
Nintendo hasn't really revealed much about the game except you can go into the sky and underground
weapons degrading/breaking is fine it just needs to be toned down.

the exploration of botw has some parts that aren't just shrines or korok seeds, like that island on the south east part of the map and some other places, they need more of those. the game has taken longer to make than botw itself so I can only assume they are tryin to make it end up like a Link to the Past compared to the original
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

that being said for botw nintendo itself kind of didn't design it in a way where you are meant to go everywhere and do everything like most open world games. I mean.. the reward for collecting all the korok seeds is a literal pile of shit. Just start from the beginning and play it the normal way, meaning go get the four divine beasts activated and then go to hyrule castle, use 'exploring' or 'adventuring' as means to reaching your next destination, not the destination itself.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

krokodil wrote: February 5th, 2023, 00:34
that being said for botw nintendo itself kind of didn't design it in a way where you are meant to go everywhere and do everything like most open world games. I mean.. the reward for collecting all the korok seeds is a literal pile of shit. Just start from the beginning and play it the normal way, meaning go get the four divine beasts activated and then go to hyrule castle, use 'exploring' or 'adventuring' as means to reaching your next destination, not the destination itself.
If I ever start again that's what I'll do, though I think BotW gimped itself in regards to dungeons too by giving you all the tools up front. Are there any cool mods for it these days? Maybe that would inspire me.
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

Are there any hints on whether it'll feel less empty than BotW? Open world games just aren't my bag, baby.
Ventidius

Post by Ventidius »

Should be interesting to see Aonuma iterate on an engine and focus on content for once. A lot of the 3D Zeldas have been hurt by having to update the engine and make new content at the same time (WW had notorious cut content, and both SS and TP were lacking in side content). Even in the case of Majora's Mask, great as it was, the advantage of the reuse of the OoT engine and recycled assets was somewhat canceled out by the development time limit (less than two years). Not sure I'd say TotK is the game I am the most hyped for this year (there are some things I am still wary of and the competition should be robust), but it's definitely the one I'm the most curious about.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

Nintendo Direct tomorrow, hopefully they show a new trailer.

krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

I dunno bros... I still don't see much of what took them so long, and they are planning to charge $70 for this shit... They need to actually show some shit off, lots of people seem to be jumping ship at this point.
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

Looks like an expansion pack for BotW. Nothing wrong with that, except that they've been developing it for 6 years.

Ubisoft made their own botw clone from scratch in less than 3 years. I know ubisoft is shit, but still.

It'd better have some mind-bending twist like Majora's Mask, or else.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

I have to assume there's just a ton of shit they aren't showing, but that could be copium. They do seem to be holding it very close to their chest compared to how BOTW was marketed. I'd argue that the Treehouse segment during E3 where they just played the game sold more people on the change in direction than the trailers. Either it really is just more of the same or they feel people already understand the basics of what to expect from BOTW and want to surprise people.

I remember at one point Aonuma commented on not wanting to reveal the name too early because "it would give away details of the game" but I've yet to see anyone, from nintendo youtubers to autists on /v/, who figured it out.

What Ubisoft botw clone is there?
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

I mean, I'm a Zeldafag so if it was just "a better BOTW overworld with more variety of activities and also there are classic-style dungeons in the sky and underground" I'd be hyped, but them saying NOTHING makes me nervous.
Ventidius

Post by Ventidius »

The most convincing theory I've seen about the title is that it somehow refers to the cycle of periodic catastrophe started by Demise and perpetuated by Ganondorf/Ganon. Supposedly, "Tears of the Kingdom" refers to the ravages suffered by Hyrule throughout the millennia because of this, and might hint to this game finally putting an end to the cycle in some way. It certainly seems like SS and BotW were building towards this.

The trailers are lame, but I'm not too worried about them. They have plenty of reasons to be cagey about the game because they know that the fanbase was a bit split over BotW, which means that if TotK is shown to be too close to BotW (beyond the obvious engine stuff), it may alienate those who want a return to some tradZelda elements; if it's shown to depart too much from BotW, it may alienate BotW fans. Whatever the reason though, I doubt that it's because they lack confidence in the quality... I mean, they are certainly bold enough to charge 70 bucks for it, heh.
Last edited by Ventidius on February 9th, 2023, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
viata

Post by viata »

This is a weird trailer. I can't see 6 years of work there, I fear they have nothing new to show because it's literally BotW + extras.
Ravenloft

Post by Ravenloft »

They took the BotW map and filled it with water, then added some floating platforms and (maybe) real dungeons? That's the big sequel? Shaping up to be even smaller and emptier than the predecessor.
Derringer

Post by Derringer »

I regret that they kicked off Koizumi from Zelda since the last Zelda game I really enjoyed was Majora's Mask, although the Flagship games were ok and BotW was ok for a passing tech demo. Way too much time has past since then.
Tweed
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Tweed »

Requesting this be moved to general video games, Zelda is not an RPG.
KnightoftheWind

Post by KnightoftheWind »

Looks like a mod for BOTW, which leaves me scratching my head since it's the longest gap between mainline Zelda games in the series history. People were behind BOTW 2 because they figured it would release 2-3 years after the original, which would excuse the reusing of assets. But 6+ years?, I'd rather have gotten an entirely new game with original assets instead.

Nintendo banking on the Soyward Sword director clearly isn't paying off, he's inept and his fan fiction is cringe.
DJOGamer

Post by DJOGamer »

wndrbr wrote: February 9th, 2023, 02:52
they've been developing it for 6 years.
KnightoftheWind wrote: March 15th, 2023, 17:11
it's the longest gap between mainline Zelda games in the series history.
There's never been more than 2 mainline Zelda titles on the same home console
Must be some kind of company directive...

Also, isn't the Switch 2 supposed to be revealed this year?
wndrbr
Turtle
Turtle

Post by wndrbr »

DJOGamer wrote: March 17th, 2023, 21:38
There's never been more than 2 mainline Zelda titles on the same home console
yeah but wasn't botw supposed to be wiiu system seller?
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

Tweed wrote: March 4th, 2023, 21:04
Requesting this be moved to general video games, Zelda is not an RPG.
@rusty_shackleford's original description of the jrpg forum was not "And related anime RPGs go here. UwU" as it is now, but something like "everything Japanese goes here"

as for it being an RPG, how do you define RPG? TOTK, I assume like BOTW, will have more systems-oriented gameplay than past Zeldo games so it's no different than having ImSims be in the RPG forum.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

DJOGamer wrote: March 17th, 2023, 21:38

Also, isn't the Switch 2 supposed to be revealed this year?
lol no
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

krokodil wrote: March 18th, 2023, 04:14
@rusty_shackleford's original description of the jrpg forum was not "And related anime RPGs go here. UwU" as it is now, but something like "everything Japanese goes here"
This was my mistake, the "RPG" part was implicit so I made it explicit.
Rigwort

Post by Rigwort »

BotW was more like a fantasy GTA or Garry's Mod than an imsim. And just like Garry's Mod it's obvious most people find fun in making dumb crap. While I have nothing against that, I certainly never expected it from a Zelda game and was sorely disappointed in the puzzles and dungeon design. The enemy variety was bland too. And the world was somehow the blandest it's ever been, neither staying in the "familiar but comfy" nor the "strange and interesting" camps. Seeing them go Banjo Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts is all I need to see to know if I want this game.

I don't.
SDG

Post by SDG »

This will be the best game of the year. No doubt about it. Take my 130 dollars based nintendo