Etrian Odyssey Origins Collection - EO 1-3 remastered, on Switch/PC

And related anime RPGs go here.
UwU
gerey
Turtle
Turtle

Post by gerey »

I would still prefer to play them om the DS. The two screens really lend themselves to the gameplay, since you have the map panel right in front of you all the time, no need to switch around to draw the map.

The setup they've got going in the remasters looks awkward.
krokodil
Turtle
Turtle

Post by krokodil »

It might work fine on PC if you can use the mouse like the stylus
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

I really like both dungeon crawlers and job based systems, so I've always wanted to try these. Looking forward to this release.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

EO1 was my first crawler. Had no idea what I was getting into at the time. The DS had such a good library that I struck gold time and time again just buying whatever looked cool at the local game store. I already own the originals so I won't bother double-dipping (especially at that price point lol) but it is cool to see these get a PC release.
Cedric

Post by Cedric »

Etrian Odyssey 1-3 (especially 1 and 2, although 1 is very unbalanced/broken) are highly recommended, excellent games if you do not mind that your characters look fairly anime.
That said I am not sure I feel like spending that much money on them just to play them again, even though I very much loved them.

Novices ought to be advised that the difficulty is very high.
Ventidius

Post by Ventidius »

Was hyped to hear about this. Will definitely be getting the bundle.
viata

Post by viata »

Any reason why they are not releasing the Untold version?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

viata wrote: February 9th, 2023, 16:01
Maybe so they can release it later as "Etrian Odyssey HD Untold" for $40 per game, again.
viata

Post by viata »

WhiteShark wrote: February 9th, 2023, 16:23
viata wrote: February 9th, 2023, 16:01
Maybe so they can release it later as "Etrian Odyssey HD Untold" for $40 per game, again.
Did they release Catherine: Full Body on PC?
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

viata wrote: February 9th, 2023, 16:46
I'm not sure if that's a rhetorical question, but it appears they did not.
viata

Post by viata »

WhiteShark wrote: February 9th, 2023, 16:51
viata wrote: February 9th, 2023, 16:46
I'm not sure if that's a rhetorical question, but it appears they did not.
Not rhetorical, just thought that this seems similar. Instead of releasing the most recent version, they are doing the same shit as in Catherine.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

For someone who likes Wizardry-style DRPGs, how are these games - specifically 3? I've seen many comments from people who come from the other direction - playing the Etrian games and then saying that no other DRPG is as good. That immediately makes me very suspicious.
rusty_shackleford
Site Admin

Post by rusty_shackleford »

Acrux wrote: August 16th, 2023, 17:54
For someone who likes Wizardry-style DRPGs, how are these games - specifically 3? I've seen many comments from people who come from the other direction - playing the Etrian games and then saying that no other DRPG is as good. That immediately makes me very suspicious.
Have you played Elminage Gothic? Aweigh is a big wizardry fan and he sings its praises a lot.
WhiteShark
Turtle
Turtle

Post by WhiteShark »

I enjoyed all of them immensely, and 3 probably is the best. I am one of those you describe who finds them to be the best of the genre. I loved designing my party and building my characters (there are skill trees and each class has a number of abilities). The boss fights were great, random encounters can be brutal, and you had better avoid FOEs if you value your life. Exploring and drawing your map in-game is fun.

I recommend playing them all, though 1 does have some broken skills, the brokenness of which is not immediately apparent from their descriptions.
Acrux
Turtle
Turtle

Post by Acrux »

rusty_shackleford wrote: August 16th, 2023, 18:01
Have you played Elminage Gothic? Aweigh is a big wizardry fan and he sings its praises a lot.
Yeah, I like Elminage Gothic. Elminage Original isn't as good.

@WhiteShark thanks. I might try it out then.